No announcement yet.

1964 Los Angeles Auto Show info needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Los Angeles Auto Show info needed.

I am looking for any pictures of the 1964 Los Angeles Auto Show.
    It took place Oct 24 - Nov 3, 1963 in the Pan Pacific Auditorium, Los Angeles.

The unveiling of Studebaker's new 1964 models running at Bonneville Sept 15th had the Avanti-R5 and others brought over to the show with long lines to see the Avanti and Granatelli at the show.
    The show started with a invitational Thursday night preview with motion picture personalities and dignitaries viewing the cars. Ivan Scott's band played movie hits and famous designers showed outfits on live mannequin models matching the cars (including Avanti).
    Studebaker also displayed feature cutaways of engines, a unitized body and disc brakes operation.
    One of the 7 introductory (white w/black vinyl roof) R2 Super Hawks was also on display and I would like to find any photo's of it.
    If you have a photo of the GT Hawk displayed, I have a $100 dollar bill, or some nice nos Stude parts to trade.
    Any help, or leads appreciated!

Thanks,

James Bell

The Bell Collection
    Bellingham, WA.
    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
    Bellingham, WA.

Try Richard Quinn, he must have one is his 17,000+ photo collection.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
    Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

It seems like most everything in South Bend was shutting down soon after this, so not much made it back to the archives.

Fresh off the salt, less than 2 weeks after the Due-Cento ran Bonneville setting a new world record 196.62 MPH, it must have been quite an attraction at the show.

Hopefully someone was fortunate enough to see this display and snap some pictures!

James

The Bell Collection
      Bellingham, WA.
      Bellingham, WA.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut

One of the 7 introductory (white w/black vinyl roof) R2 Super Hawks was also on display and I would like to find any photo's of it.

James, one of those Hawks still exists, the current owner bought it in the '70's. I want to say that it was the very first '64 Hawk, though I could be wrong. Email me at mbstude@gmail.com and I'll put you in touch with owner, if you don't know him already. I'm sure he has pics of that show.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

James, one of those Hawks still exists, the current owner bought it in the '70's. I want to say that it was the very first '64 Hawk, though I could be wrong. Email me at mbstude@gmail.com and I'll put you in touch with owner, if you don't know him already. I'm sure he has pics of that show.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

The Super Hawk used in the 1964 Los Angeles Auto Show still survives in Bellingham, WA.
          It was actually at the crusher in CA when it got saved and only took about 4 hours to get it running, pumped up the brakes and drove it to the DMV for licensing. Since it was at the crusher it now has "salvaged" on the paperwork. It's in decent shape and will be returned to Show Car quality again.
          Most of the other Hawks tagged Introductory Show Car, never made it to their Auto Shows since Hawks were being discontinued soon after and only Portland and L.A. shows were early enough.

Hopefully someone has some pictures from the Los Angeles show.

Thanks,

James

The Bell Collection
          Bellingham, WA.
          Bellingham, WA.

Comment

The 64 convertible used in the LA show still survives.I bought the car out of south Texas about 25 years ago. It had a R2 4 spd in it at the time. I sold it to a friend who sold it to another friend, Larry Scott. He is presently doing a full resto on it. Hopefully it will be ready for this years national.
            According to the production order, this conv was equipped originally with a 259 two barrel and a 4 spd. Its bordeau red with black bucket interior.

Comment

I remember the #6 car a Red '64 Commander 2 Dr. 6 Cyl. being there at the Pan Pacific, all covered in salt along with the Due Cento (or whatever Italian goes here!) Avanti.

There was a clean display GT, but I don't remember any salty Bonneville GT's, though it is possible.

I think one of the Indy Studebaker Specials, a Novi was there also. Darn, no Camera! [xx(]

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm looking for pictures of an Orange 1962 Corvair Monza. I think it took 3rd place in class in Pan Pacific Auditoreum, LA Auto Show or the 2 auto shows in 1964.If you have anything or remember anything please reply. Thanks Dewey

Comment

I almost forgot all about this thread, but my offer of $100 for a picture showing the Studebaker display is still valid.

James
                  Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Sorry Dewey, the real "Los Angeles Auto Show" had no judging, it was all next year's New Cars from the respective Factories, I was there in Nov. '63, but without photographic Memory or a Camera.

The Show you are talking about was probably one of many "Car" Shows held there, probably sponsored by a Car Club where used cars, custom and modified were shown and judged.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

James, have you tried contacting the L.A. Times? I don't know where the archives for the defunct "Herald Examiner" went but the Los Angeles county library may be able to help too.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll keep looking.

Comment

Working...
                        X