A loaded question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A loaded question...

We have been looking for another project car (we have mostly been looking at Larks and Wagonaires) and came across this little guy on e-bay. Since the probability of us getting ahold of the seller at this late hour to answer any questions we have is slim, we thought we'd come here for some help. Does this car seem worth saving? The price is possibly right (as of this moment), but does anyone have any sage words of wisdom or know anything about this car that we should know? Or is inexpensive rust just rust? Thanks in advance!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

That's Bob Peterson's and he will tell you anything you need to know. He's on the Forum. Same id as the ebay name. It's worth that price and will take some work, but you're not too far away to get it.

Comment

For $100, the transmission's worth that, plus the engine, plus the Dana 44 rear axle. You can't loose.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Didn't catch the Dana, Tom. You're right, can't lose too much on that deal.

Comment

It may well not have a 44 rear, many V8's did not.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Are those tail light lenses hard to find?

John and Tracy Smith
            Queen Creek Arizona

Comment

John: 1959/1960 taillight lenses are not hard to find. It's the 1961s that are difficult.

I'd sure encourage your saving it because it's a V-8. Running well with an automatic, it will be one of the friendliest cars you'll ever drive, cute and spunky. I wouldn't have the same opinion of a six, but the V-8 changes everything. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

So, we are thinking of going forward. Is this motor easy to work on? Can a couple of novices get this one running or is it a savings buster? Tracy says it can be her birthday/Christmas present, but I am afraid this one will cost me a lot more in the long run. Of course, don't they all!

John and Tracy Smith
                Queen Creek Arizona

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

So, we are thinking of going forward. Is this motor easy to work on? Can a couple of novices get this one running or is it a savings buster? Tracy says it can be her birthday/Christmas present, but I am afraid this one will cost me a lot more in the long run. Of course, don't they all!

John and Tracy Smith
                  If i was you i'd buy it as long as it's reasonable.
                  You know that when it comes to making your short happy it's better to buy than to suffer the memory ten years from now. And you hear these words." Oh now we can buy a sation wagon that you want"! But when i wanted that darling little lark what did i hear. Sorry hon i just don't think we should. By the way she probaly din't forget the JoHan model as a repalcement. Yeah your gonna get that wagon all right right before the rapture.

let us know how your life turns out as soon as the auctions over okay.

Comment

The price is good.Its a Two Door. Its a V8. Heck of a deal.They grow on you. Now I can't have a V8 cause I have a lead foot. I know my limitations. Larks are light weight and quick with a V8. They are Slugs with a 6 and automatic.
                    Just my two cents.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                    1957 Silverhawk
                    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                    Gus 1958 Transtar
                    1955 President State
                    1957 Golden Hawk
                    Fresno,Ca
                    Mabel 1949 Champion
                    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                    Gus 1958 Transtar
                    The Prez 1955 President State
                    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Well, looks like you got it. The tail light lenses are available on e-bay right now for fifty dollars and twenty-three shipping from a dealer in Israel or there's a supplier in <s>Las vegas </s> Phoenix for a bit more.

Congrats from your competition.

edit:
                      Had to find that pesky clip board.[:I] It will do a dissapearing act when one wants it.[)]

The supplier in <s>Nevada </s> is: (OOPS! That's Arizona, Phoenix Arizona)

Studebakerparts.com
                      602-995-5311

He has new re-pop tail lights in stock.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker
                        Congrats from your competition.
                        You could always offer to trade ol bess for it if john and tracy would pick up the lark swing down and swap them out before heading back to phoenix. Then you'd have the lark and John would have a wagon that he has been lusting for.

What more could you ask for and how apro! you could both talk Turkey today to make it happen

Comment

Did they win?

ChopStu
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday to me (a few days early!) I took the plunge and am now the proud owner of this 1960 Lark for a grand total of $137.25 (we had a 10% off E-bay coupon!) How's that for a Thanksgiving week deal? (We have Black Friday beaten!) Thanks to all who helped me take the plunge, both here and via email. John's already blaming all of you for encouraging me. We're actually pretty excited to be taking on another project. Oh, what will our neighbors think?

Tracy Smith
                            1960 LARK
                            "Smurfette?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

Happy Birthday to me (a few days early!) I took the plunge and am now the proud owner of this 1960 Lark for a grand total of $137.25 (we had a 10% off E-bay coupon!) How's that for a Thanksgiving week deal? (We have Black Friday beaten!) Thanks to all who helped me take the plunge, both here and via email. John's already blaming all of you for encouraging me. We're actually pretty excited to be taking on another project. Oh, what will our neighbors think?

Tracy Smith
                              1960 LARK
                              "Smurfette?"
                              What to Go John and Tracy!!!! That is for sure a deal. No, that's a STEAL![]

You will enjoy the Lark - easy to work on, easy to find parts, and able to more than keep up with any traffic you will find.

One suggestion - consider installing a set of Turner front disc brakes and a Turner dual master cylinder. This will make sure your 'whoa' is equal to your 'go'.

Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                              X