259 back into my 55 President Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259 back into my 55 President Coupe

I have a 55 Pres that has a 318 Dodge installed by the previous owner. I have purchased a '62 259 V8 to make it Studebaker again. The installer of the 318 (butcher) took out the cross member and butchered the front motor supports. I am trying to source them in Florida but a question about the rear mounts. Is 1544970-1 the the correct part number? I have a feeling I will be sourcing some odds and ends that were missing or destroyed. Are there any members in Florida who may have some parts?

JC

Those are the right ones if you're using a later type Flight-o-matic transmission. Most vendors have those.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think SASCO still has the front mounts. You'll have to grind off the rivets to take off the old ones then weld, bolt, or rivet the new ones on.

I assume you mean the PO took out the crossmember that mounts the bellhousing? I think I have an extra one of these that is yours for the shipping.

There is also a wing shaped crossmember under the front of the doors. Make sure that is in place.

Also, if the PO put in a one piece driveshaft, they may have cut or removed the driveshaft center support crossmember. This would be a ***** to replace and probably should be done with the body off the car. You will need this, however, if you use a stock, short tailshaft trans.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,
        The crossmember that supports the center piece of the driveshaft is still there. I am missing the crossmember that supports the transmission. The transmission is an automatic. I appreciate your offer about the crossmember. How much would shipping be? I need the 4 bolts as well. I will look at the other crossmember.

JC

Comment

Dick,
          The crossmember that supports the center piece of the driveshaft is still there. I am missing the crossmember that supports the transmission. The transmission is an automatic. I appreciate your offer about the crossmember. How much would shipping be? I need the 4 bolts as well. I will look at the other crossmember.

JC

Comment

The crossmember that is under the door is still there. I could send you pictures but I am not sure how to do it on the website.

JC

Comment

Working...
            X