The uninformed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The uninformed

Think there's not alot of folks out there with Studes that have NO knowledge of SDC or it's vendors??? Check this out! You can buy these from SI (and others) for $3 whole dollars! 22 bids on this!

Here's another one...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...1%7C240%3A1318

BTW, this is NOT me selling these, even tho this seller goes by StudeBob AND lives in the town I grew up in!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

There are still a lot of somewhat naive, uninformed folks out there. SDC does its part by advertising in various old car publications though. Our vendors only have so much available in advertising dollars.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

You mean there are more than one StudeBob?

At least there is only one Mr Biggs, although my wife did have a dog named Mr. Biggy.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
      53 Starliner Hardtop
      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Interesting as you would think someone who is savvy enough with technology that they could use eBay would also be savvy enough to at least surf the web, find the SDC website and then poke around enough to find out that parts, etc. are readily available from a variety of vendors. Go figure.[B)][:0]

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

A potential revenue stream for SASCO, S-I and others?

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

I would hope a reputable business wouldn't do this. The word will get out. Sure it's a willing seller and a willing buyer, but if and when the buyer finds out what transpired, he will never again buy from that vendor AND will tell all his friends about the rip off.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,
              I agree with your sentiment, but [u]if they have a fair starting price</u> and eBay buyers push it up to stupid territory, I'm not sure if there is a victim here. Certainly, it's not their fault.

It's the same if someone here sells a car on eBay and it gets pushed to an obscene profit level. I'm not sure any of our regular posters would argue if they sold a car for $25,000..."Here, I'll give you back $5000...I only had $15,000 in it."

If uninformed buyers want to increase the profit of our vendors...which will insure their continued survival...I'm not against it.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Sasco and S.I. do sell on e-bay from time to time.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I do know of one Stude vendor that sells on eBay, and when prices start getting stupid, the auction is pulled before the bidding gets rediculous.

When I need a Stude part, they're the guys I call.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

It's the same if someone here sells a car on eBay and it gets pushed to an obscene profit level. I'm not sure any of our regular posters would argue if they sold a car for $25,000..."Here, I'll give you back $5000...I only had $15,000 in it."

I've given back money before, and I believe JDP has also...probably others.

It isn't REQUIRED by law to be fair. It's not illegal to get as much as a bidder will bid...just doesn't seem ethical to me. But maybe that's just me.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

There are still a lot of somewhat naive, uninformed folks out there. SDC does its part by advertising in various old car publications though. &lt;snip&gt;
                      Oh, come on people, think about it ...there must a thousand innovative ways for us to inform the uninformed and promote Studebakers & the SDC to newer generations!!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                        It's not illegal to get as much as a bidder will bid...just doesn't seem ethical to me. But maybe that's just me.
                        No it's not just you.
                        But there is a huge difference between people getting ripped off by a greedy company (with a stupid "list" price) and folks willingly bidding on a non-essential hobby item to a stupid level.

It's not like they're selling water to people lost in a desert, fresh kidneys, or similar "must have" item.

In an auction I'm assuming that people will only pay up to an amount they're comfortable with. They are adults, after all.

I'm not sure how much a well meaning "big brother" should protect people from themselves? God knows, there are a lot of stupid people out there, but you or I can't tell them what to do...as much as we'd like to.

I see plenty of stuff on ebay (and Trade-A-Plane, Hemmings, etc.) I'd love to have, but I'm not going to spend stupid money to get it. So I don't buy it. It's fun to be an adult.

And at the end of the day, I don't mind if SASCO, S-I, JDP, or even you, make an occasional good profit from an over enthusiastic/under-informed eBay buyer. They sell something in good faith, and the buyers bid as much as the item is worth to them. No harm, no foul.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Accepting overpayment is God's way of getting even for you when you get stiffed. yup.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Accepting overpayment is God's way of getting even for you when you get stiffed.

What was that Golden Rule thingy again?

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Exactly..

Comment

Working...
                              X