• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love LIFE

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

Hopefully they will eventually get back to the September 16, 1946 issue wherein there is a 10 page color feature on Studebaker production.
    What I am hoping LIFE will eventually do is offer them digitally scanned from the original transparencies/negatives in different size formats similar to the factory photos for sale at the GM Photo Store. ( www.gmphotostore.com ) Time-Life has amassed a huge amount of priceless photo gems that will certainly add $$$ to their coffers from interested readers like us. I am definitely interested in getting a nice 11x17 or 16x20 of those pics you posted.

Craig

Comment

I would like pictures in the car ads, but of course that would be impossible!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Of the three pictures you posted, Dick, it would appear that Indiana State Road 2 is behind the station wagon, on the other side of the fence. The brick fence "post" with a Studebaker Wheel on top would identify the location as being along the front elevation of The Proving Ground, no?

OTOH, judging from the object visible to the left in the lower two photos, the convertible and coupe appear to be in the Pole Position. [:0][xx(] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

They were usually more careful than that at the factory. Had to be just a few feet from the first location. Light was directly overhead too taking away some detail. Not as bad as my cover shot, but close. Think they were just taken by staff Life photographers not used to car promo shots? The bottom one has a telephone pole top that looks like a center hood ornament. [8]

Comment

Wonder if any of those gals are still around.

I agree with Dick about the detail differences on the convert. Hard to tell for sure, but it sorta looks like it has a hood ornament that's different from stock.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[/quote]

Just wondering who built the bodys for the wagon. The windshield and roof line kinda looks like the 49 Ford. (don't shot me folks i'm just asking).

I seen a article about the C-Cab based later models, do any of them exist in North America. I'm a wagon fan and he ranch wagons are one of my favorites.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Wonder if any of those gals are still around.

Now that would make an interesting article, the car models of Studebaker. Is it true that they were pulled from the staff for photo shoots? Seems i read taht somehwere!

Comment

Were the tires on the wagon a real early version of "white lettered" ? Obviously a promo of the tire manufacturer. But when were white-lettered tires first offered to the public?
                  Also, I like the painted A-pillars on the convert. Matches the top colour. Could be cool.

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
                  47 M-5
                  Izzer Buggy
                  Junior Wagon
                  Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                  61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                  Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                  Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Phil,

You're talking about the Cantrell-bodied "suburban"-like vehicles. Last I heard, there's no known examples. One built on an M-series has had quite a bit of notoriety of late. Sold new and retored in the netherlands, I think it sold recently for quite a few sheckles!

BTW, I have a very degraded wood framing (the blond-colored parts) from this wagon. It and more were in a trash heap, next to the archives after the resto gang had stripped the hulk. Looks as tho it's a remnant ot the Ark, but lying in the woods for 40+ years can do that!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

BTW, I have a very degraded wood framing (the blond-colored parts) from this wagon. It and more were in a trash heap, next to the archives after the resto gang had stripped the hulk. Looks as tho it's a remnant ot the Ark, but lying in the woods for 40+ years can do that!

You have to be kidding me! They built this beautiful wagon and then left it in the woods???[:0][V]

Neat idea though, a stationwagon with suicide doors.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

<<if they are still around they are in pretty sorry shape!>>

Hey, my mom's 87 and she's not in sorry shape! ha ha ha!

Comment

I love these photos that show a bit of the line workings. Look at the rear glass on the car to the left. Looks like a "W" written there. Probably referring to the fact it's a 4-dr sedan. Of course, the NAGS numbers (for formed glass) start out with a W too. Or maybe Kurtruk can set me straight on whether or not rear glasses got W numbers also. How 'bout it Kurt?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

Another nice photo from the LIFE article. Note the cars came off the final line backward (2nd floor, building 82).

Enlighten me here if you can, why the different style off ramps between left and right. the left appears to be for drive on. Is this a finishing line? did the go down the left side and then come back down the right side for drive away??

I'm more interested in the models stories/history than the condition of their chassis. But then if some of the folks on this blog worked on those cars in the photos i'm sure they may be. Some of them may even be married to one. 82 is not so old anymore, what with all the resto mods available.

Comment

Working...
                              X