bolt for balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolt for balancer

i was wondering how to get the bolt for the balancer off on a 289 its a inch and a half bolt is it reverse thread? or standard or what is the best way to remove the bolt.

thanks

Impact wrench. It is standard right hand thread. If engine is still in the car and you don't have an impact, put the socket on the bolt with a break over bar and let it rest on the frame or solid part of the car and have someone tap the starter while you steady the bar.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by Ryan1253

i was wondering how to get the bolt for the balancer off on a 289 its a inch and a half bolt is it reverse thread? or standard or what is the best way to remove the bolt.

thanks

Comment

As I helped my dad install one of these last week, these are torqued to 140 ft-lbs - so it won't be easy to get off!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
      1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Just a suggestion, take out a spark plug, feed two feet of clothsline rope into the hole. slowly back the crank up until it won't turn any more and apply pressure to the crank screw until it comes out.

It wouldn't be too hard, would it George?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

I'd roll the engine backward from the exhaust TDC to install the rope. If I used the other TDC I'd worry the rope might be bearing against an open exhaust (or maybe even intake) valve

Comment

This is as close as I could find in my search. What size socket do I need to pull the bolt from the balancer on a 289? I have to buy one and they are too expensive to guess. Thanks, Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Napa has these large sockets for about 15 $.Snap -on is 65$ IF you can borrow a chain wrench, looks like a come-along, with a bicycle chain about a foot long, this is the safest and easiest way to torque on, and remove the bolt. I recall it's 1 1/4 , not certain, but just measure across the flats....take the belts off, and place the chain in the puley groove. thanks- m weiss

Comment

When you're measuring, keep in mind that there's a French lock on the bolt, so make sure you are measuring the bolt head and not the bent up tabs.

I don't remember the size either, but I know it's >1"

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

As to Nate's comment on the "French lock" , it is a washer that is bent over one of the flats on the thin bolt. A few careful taps using a dull chisel or a punch should push it flat enough to turn the bolt. As many of you know, that bolt has a rather thin head and it is easy for a socket to slip off. If you are not careful, when it does slip, there is a good chance your thumb could impact the water pump pulley if it is still on the engine. If this happens, you could potentially win big bucks on one of those funny home video shows should a family member be available with a camera to catch the crazy dance while bleeping all the swear words. Then there is the old "drill the hole through the thumbnail" routine to alleviate the pressure and pain. (ask me how I know) I am thinking the socket is at least 1-1/4 inch and may be as big as 1-1/2. Right now I am having my morning coffee, but if no one else comes up with the correct size soon, I will waddle (my back is out again) out to my "man cave" and check for sure.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ok...I made it out to check the bolt size. On the 224 V8 it was 1-1/2 that fit. That was the only engine I have exposed enough to check without having to bend and stress my aching back too much.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks, I will try to find a chain wrench. I think I tried an 1-1/2" and it was too small and the largest socket I have. I will double check that before I go shopping though and make sure I wasnt hitting on the tabs. Thanks again, Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        As to Nate's comment on the "French lock" , it is a washer that is bent over one of the flats on the thin bolt. A few careful taps using a dull chisel or a punch should push it flat enough to turn the bolt. As many of you know, that bolt has a rather thin head and it is easy for a socket to slip off. If you are not careful, when it does slip, there is a good chance your thumb could impact the water pump pulley if it is still on the engine. If this happens, you could potentially win big bucks on one of those funny home video shows should a family member be available with a camera to catch the crazy dance while bleeping all the swear words. Then there is the old "drill the hole through the thumbnail" routine to alleviate the pressure and pain. (ask me how I know) I am thinking the socket is at least 1-1/4 inch and may be as big as 1-1/2. Right now I am having my morning coffee, but if no one else comes up with the correct size soon, I will waddle (my back is out again) out to my "man cave" and check for sure.
                        After installing the bolt be sure to bend the tab back against the flat. Don't ask me how I know.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I used a semi truck tire wrench.Worked great:P

Comment

The bolt size is 1&1/2 inch. A "6-point" impact socket would be prefered, rather than a 12 point. If you look at end of the socket, you'll see the "flats" are recessed maby an eighth of an inch below the outer shell of the socket. The head of the bolt is maby 1/4" thick. I used the side of a large diameter grinding wheel to eliminate that raised area. Now the flats are all the way to the end of the shell. You need all the contact area you can get on the flats of the bolt to keep from "rounding off" the corners. By using this "modified" socket, I've removed many of these bolts without damage. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                            Auburn, GA

Comment

Working...
                            X