1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

I traded a 1985 bronco for this sweet wagon that has 90k miles on it, the engine has been rebuilt and the interior and paint with the exception of the primer spots is all original, even the ac blows somewhat cold
    I dont know if i have a 259cid or 289 cid engine and have not clue as to the model of transmission, it has park drive low and then reverse at the end of the column shifter
    so please pardon my ignorance on this forum as Im a former Caddy guy

fWIW I will include the VIN# 64V17676

I have a problem of it stalling when put into gear, as if the torque converter was locking up
    I replaced the cap rotor points condensor plugs, wires and rebuilt the 2bbl carb so who knows what the problem could be

anyhow, happy to be here and learn from you guys

I will add pictures when I figure out how to lol

The tranny is pretty much a Ford-O-Matic. (borg Warner) The stalling may just be from the load on the engine at idle. Try raising the idle speed, check the timing and vacuum advance.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson
    JDP Maryland

Comment

JLV--

If there's "Drive" on the selector indicator, it's a Flightomatic auto tranny (or whatever the name was in '64). The order should be PNDLR on a Stude up to '64. May have changed to the more familiar PRNDL with the change to GM-McKinnon drivelines in '65...?

Still quitting cold on you after several items have already been fixed and/or replaced? My '62 did that for a while; turned out the voltage regulator was pooched. I'm not even sure a '64 would have had that item though, as they went to an alternator in '63 and at least some alternators are internally regulated...doesn't really matter, as there are tons of people on here with way more know-how than me...you've come to the right spot! Joining SDC, then finding your local chapter, will be a very wise move. Incidentally, using that serial number, you'd be able to order the build sheet (similar to the dealer's window sticker) for that particular car from the Studebaker National Museum archives.

Pix? Set 'em up on Photobucket, then link from there to here to your heart's content. Even a Luddite like me found that process a complete breeze (and the rest of the forum can vouch for my peppering "General Studebaker-Specific Discussion" with pix of my Stude and others!)...

Cheers and welcome to a really great corner of the old-car hobby; we're glad you're here and you will be too...

S.

Comment

My '64 Wagonaire, 259 with WCFB 4-barrel (not the right carb) always stalls going into gear when cold, even if you rev it up. It's always been that way. Once warmed up, it never does it. Just cold-blooded, I guess.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

In 1965 Studebaker changed engines NOT DRIVELINES.
          They retained the Borg Warner tranny.
          Transmission reads PNDLR right up to and including 1966.

Comment

Comment

Engine # is on a machined surface on the top of the block, in front.
              Its just to the driver's side of the blank off plate for the early model oil filler. A number beginning with "V" is 259, "P" is 289, "JT" is one of the hipo 289's.

Comment

Looks like a nice example! Stude called their tranny the "Flight-o-Matic". As JDP said, it's basically a Ford-o-matic. But it does have a different arrangement as far as gear selection goes. And unless it's been modified, when you use the "D" range, it starts out in second gear. They designed it that way and it's perfectly fine for normal driving.
                Check to see that the choke's closing all the way before starting cold. If not, adjust it to just close shut with the engine stone cold.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That is a very clean looking Daytona Wagonaire! [^] Very nice.

It is unusual to have a Green Interior with a Gold exterior though, it may have originally been a White, Green or other color car.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for all the info gents, there is a wealth of knowledge on here

as for the interior, its original according to owner I got it from and the paint appears to be as well due to all the jams and under hood etc, I want to get her painted but not to sure about the gold and aqua interior combo even though it screams 60s lol
                    Im searching on how to go about getting a build sheet on the car to see exactly what I have here. The license plate frames say Ingelwood studebaker so its a LosAngeles car.

im contemplating doing a 2 tone paint of some sort

Comment

Forgot to mention that it still has the factory spare tire which of course is weathered to hell, and a bunch of trim pieces that came in a box, I will take more pictures when it gets back from the transmission shop, they pulled the torque converter to rebuild it , they seem to think it was causing the stall when put into gear, IE locking up.
                      I hope im not throwing money at it, but its a sweet car and drives like a dream when cruising. I noticed a knocking sound at idle and found one of the exhaust pipes had rusted and broken off and it was banging against the cross member so I replaced both mufflers with 50 series flow masters and it sounds like a big block now lol

Comment

Are you sure it does not say: Frank H. Afton Co. Inglewood?
                        My Dad was a salesman there, and they were the only Studebaker Dealer in Inglewood.

You may find that the car was Golden Sand, a much more Beige looking color than true metal Gold like someone has put on it.

The car in my signature picture was sold new in Long Beach, CA.

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

The license plate frames say Ingelwood studebaker so its a LosAngeles car.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

upon further review it does say Frank H. Afton Co. Inglewood

wow thats pretty cool

Comment

Nice car, and '64 Wagons look pretty good two toned.

Here's ours; white over blue.

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Nice car, and '64 Wagons look pretty good two toned.

Here's ours; white over blue.

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, GA

thats one sweet looking ride

Comment

Working...
                              X