This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need C/K steering parts

I find myself in need of some parts to finish the steering in my Coupe.
    Specifically: a box mounting bracket # 534301, from Saginaw power steering 1953-1957 C/K or any 59+up Studebaker, and a column from 53-57 automatic C/K with Saginaw power steering (column jacket 30 1/4" long). Any help or leads would be appreciated.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    33 Rockne 10
    51 Commander Starlight
    53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Sounds like you converted your car to Saginaw PS using sedan parts? I know the frame bracket and column are different between C/K and sedan.... I used '57 hawk parts on my '53 and had some of the same problems. The '53-'56 column is longer with a larger OD steering shaft from the '57- ? stuff. In my case, the frame bracket was OK but I needed the column stuff. You may want to check SASCO and other vendors. I built my column from mostly NOS parts sourced from 2-3 places as I recall. The parts book was invaluable. Newman/Altman (now sasco) had the shaft, rubber bushings down by the steering box, the upper coller/bearing holder, and the horn slip ring and brush. I got the shift collar that the shift lever goes in from a smaller vendor, name escapes me. The shifting tube that the shift lever engages came from Studebaker of California (now Studebaker Int'l). This was all about 6-7 yrs ago so though. For the outer column tube (the part you see), I ended up cutting the too short one in half down near where it comes through the firewall and welding in a section from a junk manual shift column I cut up. Had to make some mods down at the bottom for the horn wire brush/slip ring too since the '57 piece was different since the horn wiring was different from the older ones.

Seems like a person could make the frame bracket from heavy plate steel if they had the dimensions. Its been my observation the PS setups from sedans turn up more often but definately won't fit a C/K w/o it. A person could use the shorter column from the sedan in a pinch but that bracket is required.

Forgot to mention the drag link off the pitman arm is different too. I recall checking all the main vendors when I went through this looking for a new one but came up dry. I put new dust boots on the one that came with the box and fortunately it was OK.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Sounds like you converted your car to Saginaw PS using sedan parts? I know the frame bracket and column are different between C/K and sedan.... I used '57 hawk parts on my '53 and had some of the same problems. The '53-'56 column is longer with a larger OD steering shaft from the '57- ? stuff. In my case, the frame bracket was OK but I needed the column stuff. You may want to check SASCO and other vendors. I built my column from mostly NOS parts sourced from 2-3 places as I recall. The parts book was invaluable. Newman/Altman (now sasco) had the shaft, rubber bushings down by the steering box, the upper coller/bearing holder, and the horn slip ring and brush. I got the shift collar that the shift lever goes in from a smaller vendor, name escapes me. The shifting tube that the shift lever engages came from Studebaker of California (now Studebaker Int'l). This was all about 6-7 yrs ago so though. For the outer column tube (the part you see), I ended up cutting the too short one in half down near where it comes through the firewall and welding in a section from a junk manual shift column I cut up. Had to make some mods down at the bottom for the horn wire brush/slip ring too since the '57 piece was different since the horn wiring was different from the older ones.

Seems like a person could make the frame bracket from heavy plate steel if they had the dimensions. Its been my observation the PS setups from sedans turn up more often but definately won't fit a C/K w/o it. A person could use the shorter column from the sedan in a pinch but that bracket is required.

Forgot to mention the drag link off the pitman arm is different too. I recall checking all the main vendors when I went through this looking for a new one but came up dry. I put new dust boots on the one that came with the box and fortunately it was OK.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Try giving James Neinast a call at 803-684-0000 he can help you.
        Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
        City of York Fire Department
        York, SC 29745
        1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

Comment

Try giving James Neinast a call at 803-684-0000 he can help you.
          Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
          City of York Fire Department
          York, SC 29745
          1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
          X