The Studebaker News magazine 1959-61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Studebaker News magazine 1959-61

Since many Newsgroup participants seem to have cars in the 1959-61 era I thought you might be interested in learning more about the Studebaker News News to be probably the most valuable tool I have used in researching information on new models, publicity, Studebaker accomplishments and dealers. Each issue had dozens and dozens of photos.

On the topic of dealers I find that there are many people interested in this topic. The News regularly carried a list of dealer anniversaries (not all issues). For example the June 1960 issue has a list of 66 dealers, their locations and anniversary dates. This would seem to me to be a great resource in adding to the dealer listing that someone is apparently keeping. (See complete list below).

I have a limited number of duplicates of the News that I will be running on ebay in the coming weeks and months. At this time I have the December 1960 issue running and it will end in a few hours. See http://tinyurl.com/5sx972 if interested.

I have several hundred copies of the News going back to 1912. My post WWII collection is complete and I have most of the prewar issues. If you have any general questions on this topic let me know.

[u]Dealer Anniversaries June 1960 [u]Studebaker News</u>
    </u>

[u]
    50 YEARS (1910)</u>
    Hogan Bros. Inc. - Marengo, Iowa
    [u]
    40 YEARS (1920)</u>
    The Morrison Motor Company - Zanesville, Ohio
    Ray T. Brady Motor Co. - Norristown, Pa.
    Bickelhaupt Motor Company - Clinton, Iowa

[u]35 YEARS (1925)</u>
    Frahm Motor Company - Manning Iowa
    Palmyra Auto Service - Palmyra, Pa.
    Streator Motor Company - Streator, Ill.
    A. L. Panciers - Westerly, R.I.
    Clyde Knous - Petersburg, Ill.
    Meyer Motor Co. - Washington, Ill.
    [u]
    30 YEARS (1930)</u>
    Frank's Auto Repair - Wallace, Idaho
    North Side Motors - Hartford, Wis.

[u]25 YEARS (1935)</u>
    Kyle Motor Co. - Columbus, Ga.
    Gauthier Motors, Inc. - Salem, Mass.
    Jonesboro Motor Co. - Jonesboro, Ark.
    Davidson Bros. Garage, Inc. - Morgantown, W. Va.
    Vatter Motor Co. - Winona, Minn.
    Albrecht.Burke, Inc. - St. Louis, Mo.
    Ponsetto Sales & Service - E. McKeesport, Pa.

[u]20 YEARS (1940)</u>
    Mallory Motor Co. - Thomaston, Ga.
    Rathkamp Motor Service, Inc - Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ware Sales & Service - Franklin, Ohio
    Bob Francisco Inc. - Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.
    Port Ewen Garage, Inc. - Port Ewen, N. Y.
    O'Bryan Motor Company - State College, Pa.
    Aldridge & Watts - Amity, Oregon
    Lester L. Jones - Michigan City, Ind.
    Follin Motors - College Park, Md.
    Huntoon Motor Sales - Wheeler, Michigan
    Anderson's Garage - Minnbota, Minn.
    Keiper Garage - Newhall, Iowa
    Smida Garage - Hooper, Neb.
    Vogel Implement Company - Phillipsburg, Kan.
    Gindler Sales and Service - Troy, III.
    Capece Motor Sales, Inc. - St. Johnsville, N. Y.
    Fusco Motor Co. - Swarthmore, Pa.
    Brunetto Brothers - Benld, III.

[u]15 YEARS (1945)</u>
    Raines Motor Sales, Inc.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

The only Studebaker News I have is Vol. 29 June 1950 and it's a news paper. The magazine are nice. They would be good reading on a cold winter day. THANKS FOR POSTING

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Interesting, Dick. I note a dozen dealers that had been in business during Studebaker's 1933-1935 receivership. Being as the list was published in 1960, there would have been people in those dealerships who were there during the receivership years. It would have been interesting to interview them.

At the other end, I note the short-timer's list including Keeling Motors in Franklin IN. I attended Keeling's going-out-of-business auction in early spring 1966, IIRC ('might have been late fall 1965). They had one new car remaining: a dark blue 1965 Cruiser Six. That was probably the first Cruiser Six I ever saw; I remember thinking how odd it was, being a six. It was a brand-new car and was auctioned right on the showroom floor. It sold for some pathetically low price, around $1,600, again IIRC.

My "Ford man" brother Stanley, just having turned 16 a month or two earlier, bought one of their used cars at that auction, and an interesting one at that: A black 1957 Ford Custom 2-door (the cheapie) with 312/4-bbl/overdrive; a real hot rod. I have no idea what he paid for it, but it wasn't much...nor was the car! But it ran and drove after some fiddling and we were able to nurse it home.

Such was the end [V] of Keeling Motors in Franklin IN, due south of downtown Indianapolis maybe 35 miles. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

DANG IT! After reading this I immediately clicked on the link and went to bid but it had already ended[V]

I never saw these before... being they're from my favorite era, I'll be looking to put together my own collection of them. Don't know how I missed ever knowing about these- or missed seeing this issue come up. I'll be watching for more[:I]

Thanks for sharing- and teaching!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I find the list interesting in that I see the only Michigan dealership mentioned is Huntoon Motors in Wheeler michigan.

Because this has been G.M. country forever, you don't realize how difficult it must have been to an "off-Brand" (sorry about that) in a state like this.

To wit: Wheeler, Michigan is and has been a "four-corners" for as long as I can remember and could not have a population of more than a couple hundred souls. It's about 20+ miles from Saginaw (pop. 70k or so) on M-46 in the middle of predominately farming country.

I now see how difficult it would be to survive in this situation when every city of note in the area had a full compliment of GM, Ford and Chrysler dealers. You had to be a very dedicated Studebaker owner to drive a minimum of 25 miles to purchase and service your car.

No wonder they finally pulled the plug like the other independents.

Bob

Comment

It's pretty good I guess

[img][img]
            Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Obviously jealous!

Richard Quinn
              editor: Antique Studebaker Review
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

"Studebaker News" The original "Turning Wheels"

I wish the SDC Newsletter was named "Studbaker News". The name "Turning Wheels" has always seemed flaky to me.

1957 Packard Clipper
                1958 Golden Hawk
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1963 R2 Daytona
                1963 R2 GT Hawk
                1963 R1 Wagonaire
                1963 R4 Avanti
                1964 Champ
                1966 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

"Studebaker News" The original "Turning Wheels"

I wish the SDC Newsletter was named "Studbaker News". The name "Turning Wheels" has always seemed flaky to me.
                  Michael: Do you know how our SDC monthly Turning Wheels got it's name? It's a shortened version of a Studebaker-produced publication published in 1954, "Turning Wheels: The Studebaker Story."

That full-color publication related the history of the family and the subsequent company through the eyes of soon-to-retire employee Joe Powell. Perhaps Dick Quinn can verify if Joe Powell was a real person; I don't know.

Now-SDC Publications Director Larry Swanson, when he assumed the role of Turning Wheels Editor circa 1972, selected the name for our SDC monthly publication by simply using the first two words of that single-issue Studebaker publication. So our SDC monthly publication's name has roots in Studebaker Corporation's own publications.

The original Studebaker-issue Turning Wheels: The Studebaker Story was reprinted in 2002. Reprints may still be available through Michiana History Publications; possibly through the combined gift shop of the new Studebaker National Museum and Northern Indiana Center for History in South Bend. I haven't checked lately. The reprint is a nice little booklet to have. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Our Studebaker dealer gave me that Turning Wheels and the "100 Years on the Road" when I was a kid. I still have both of them.

I'm not so sure that the employees were looking for a wonderful future in 1954, though.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Thanks for the scan and post, Leonard. I wish I had an original copy instead of this good reprint! BP

Comment

Thanks for your time and effort in posting this, Richard. Thanks to Leonard for the scan.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I just ordered a copy of Turning Wheels:The Studebaker Story.Here is the link if you are interested.

Bob Langer
                          Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Thanks to both, Richard and Leonard. I can attest to the quality of those original Studebaker News magazines that Richard sells. I bought the one that came out the month my car was built in 1959 last year and treasure it. It has a lot of information and terrific photographs.

Comment

Thanks Leonard for posting that special issue of "Turning Wheels", that was a good read, can I wipe off the tears now?

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X