Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Land Cruiser Concept Lives!

Hi

I found this video for a lengthened version of the current Chrysler 300. As with the Land Cruiser, the additional length is added to the rear seat area, in this case, 6 inches.

Go to MYRIDE.COM for more car videos.So you need more room. Maybe surgery has stretched your legs a bit, or you just want that extra room inside the cab of y...

Good ideas never go away.

Steve

Anyone remember Dick Quinn's excellent (not pretty good )Almanac article on this topic? I think he found different examples of models that added extra wheelbase only into the rear passenger area. Was interesting.

Comment

Hi Dan

I think you are recalling Fred Fox's series on Y-Bodied Luxury Models. Yes, Excellent is the right description.

I'm the fellow that posited to Fred the idea the Land Cruiser concept, as applied after 1947, found inspiration in the '42 & '46-'47 Cadillac 60 Special. Those bodies are a 4" extension midship to the standard Series 62 GM C-body, all placed in the passenger compartment. A good idea that found expression by two fine car makers.

Studebaker was, as Fred Fox pointed out, the only automaker in its price segment that bothered to do so. It was also a smart move on their part as Y-bodied model sales amounted to 10% and more of the total production.

Steve

Comment

I love the extra length in my 51 Land Cruiser. I previously had a 51 Starlite Coupe but I prefer the LC. I think the proportions are better and it's very comfortable in both front and back.

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
        Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
        Jim Mann
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada
        \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
        Jim Mann
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMann

I love the extra length in my 51 Land Cruiser. I previously had a 51 Starlite Coupe but I prefer the LC. I think the proportions are better and it's very comfortable in both front and back.
          And they had a better ride.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I have the longer '55 President State 4 door sedan and the ride is so much better than my previous Avanti and short Lark's. Seventeen years ago when I sold my '55 Commander 4 door I didn't realize the difference in ride quality, but there certainly is a difference.

Jim Caldwell
            "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Comment

What Chrysler needs to try and lenghten is their stay in the auto business. ANY business, for that matter.[V]

Studebaker content: I'm afraid Chrysler's gonna go the way of the S......... [V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I enjoyed my 50 Land Cruiser when I had it, (1950s) but didn't realize how great it really was. I am looking forward to trips in my 55 Pres State Sedan.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                X