X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Intro

Greetings!
    Just found this forum this morning.
    I don't own a Studebaker, but I have the bug - BAD.

I'm currently carless, so I really need a new toy. I love my truck, but it's not "me".

Got a lead on an old Studebaker last week. One of those "I know a guy with an old car" leads. Found out it was a 53 Starlight or Starliner. Never heard of such a thing (reformed Chevy guy). Found pics online and was very interested.

The old man who owns he car is crazy. Wouldn't even let me see it, wants $10K for it sight unseen, claims it's worth $18K if he gets it running.

The short story - he bought the car 2nd hand when he came back from Korea. Drove it for 20 years until it was hit in the pass door. Parked it in his garage. Went out weeks later and it wouldn't start, and gas was expensive - so it's sat since. It's been there since about 1974.
    He says the damaged door's window wouldn't go down, or open from the inside, but the door would open from the outside.

He's lost the title, but it may be in the car. He'll look for $10K cash. He's not going to dig out/uncover the car for some tire kicker who wants to try and talk him down on price. But who knows what kind of condition it's in after all this time? He thinks he can put a battery in it and splash some gas and drive it anywhere.

My goal is to find something like this to fix up. Upgrade as needed to make it reliable and safe, and then to drive the heck out of it. Hoping for a non-original car, as I don't want a pure restoration.

I'm here to read and learn for now. I'm sure I'll have a LOT of questions once I get my project.

Steve

Steve,
    Welcome, and sorry for the disease which has struck you down. You will probably never recover from the dreaded Studebaker Bug. I've had it most of my life and have given up trying to find a cure. Some say the only cure is to dive headlong into the abyss and relish and savor the flavor of the overwhelming urge to own and drive every other Studebaker you will see from now on.... I could quit if I really wanted to..... I'm not an addict..... I'm really quite normal..... really, I am.... ask my friends.... on second thought, don't ask them, most of them have Studebakers too.
    As far as the car you've found, sight unseen is very dangerous as you well know. But, if its as described, it should be worth looking at. Mine is seen below. I'm not much of a purist, but I do like Stude power. My little beast is Avanti powered with a 4 speed. Fun to drive and even more fun to go to car shows. I love the looks my ugly beater gets when I park next to the big money cars. The envy is thick. Have fun and good luck on the search.

sals54
    sals54

Comment

Welcome Aboard, Steve!!! Glad to see the bug's bit you hard! Misery LOVES company and we're all miserably infected and loving it.

Depending on what you're looking for, Studes are pretty affordable by old car standards. Lots of parts for them too! Tell us what models you fancy and you'll have a whole bunch of eyes lookin' out for you.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome Steve and I hope you find the car you are looking for. What ever you do buy, be sure to order the shop and chassis manuals for your chosen vehicle. Also join a local chapter and the Studebaker Drivers Club so that you receive the best brand specific monthly car magazine going.

Comment

I paid under the 10K for this 53 Starliner with 55 side trim and it's Hemi powered.

Here's a stock example

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the club, Steve.
            Before it's all over, you'll probably want MORE Studes to go along with the one in the old man's garage,

Chris Pile
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Welcome!

Dylan
              '61 lark regal 4dr wagon
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Welcome Steve. [8D] Sounds like what you really need is a Studebaker Truck! [}][^]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                May 23 & 24, 2009?
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

DANG JDP!!! I didn't need to be reminded of that '54.[V] That was the one I bought from a Turning Wheels ad a few years back. I still can't believe the guy only wanted $3500 for it! T'was a Champion, but it ran sweet and was every bit as nice as that photo suggests.[] My wife's still ticked that I flipped that one.[B)] She wanted to keep it!
                  It went to a little roadside '50s museum if I remember right.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That car was the best deal we had ever had.

JDP/Maryland
                    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                    Thomas Jefferson
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Welcome, Steve. I just bought my first Stude in August and for the $20 I spent to join the Club have gotten many times that amount in help and info. There are a lot of Studes on Ebay and on the classic car sales sites. I know that www.countryclassiccars.com in southern Illinois has at least half a dozen Stude cars and trucks and most are reasonably priced. Check out their clean '49 Champion 2 door for $5950 which "runs and drives great." Good luck in your search....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Welcome Steve,
                        By joining this forum you have probably given up any chance of kicking the Studebaker Bug -- an that is a good thing. If you have not already done so, join the Studebaker Drivers Club, Inc. and then find your local SDC chapter and join that as well. It is really good to have folks around who are willing to help with questions etc.

As others have said, let us know what you might be looking for and somebody here probably knows where something pretty close is located and available.

Again Welcome!

Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

John,

That tripower is killing me.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I paid under the 10K for this 53 Starliner with 55 side trim and it's Hemi powered.
                          Mark Anderson
                          Member SDC and FMCA
                          Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

As for what I'm looking for... I don't know enough yet to say. Something like sals54 or JPG have on their signature lines. I'm in love with that front & side body lines. I think they run 53-55? Never saw one or knew they existed before last Friday. Now I'm borderline obsessed.

I need to learn what models have what pillar/window configurations etc.

Can someone recommend a good book with lot's of pictures?

I'm not looking for a truck. Please - one new obsession at a time. Plus I'm redoing a 49 Ford F-1 for someone now, and when that leaves I'd like to finally fix up my 77 Dodge Powerwagon crew cab. But I've got the car jones.

What I'm looking for needs to be reasonably straight with as little rust as possible. It need not run, or have a driveline for that matter. I'll probably end up gutting the interior too.

I'd rather have good trim than a running car (I'm not well I tell ya!).

I wish this bug had hit in they Spring when I could look forward to a season of shows/swap meets. Any Winter events in/near PA?

Steve

Comment

I like the book "Studebakers Finest" by john Bridges. "A history and restoration guide to the 53/54 Studebaker sports coupe"

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                              "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Working...
                              X