PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Drivers Club?

Rick Courtier
11-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Why do we call this club a drivers club when it seems that most of us don't drive our Studebakers?

Case in point, at the last Central Florida Chapter Meeting, with clear blue skies and the temp being at 78 degrees and a very nice Saturday morning with an easy location for everyone to get to only three that's right 3 Studebakers were driven. Shannon Bruffet's 53 Champion Starliner drive was around 45 minutes each way, Next was Stephen Goodrich's 1963 Daytona Lark with a 10 minute Trip each way. And my 1956 Transtar which was only three minutes away except that I went to work in it that morning and ran some other errands then went to the meeting.

Ok a few do have good excuses, Not having a Studebaker at this time is a good one, and just sell his Avanti after owning it for 15 years is another good one, and of course if you are having a mechanical issue that would be acceptable, but that is about where I would draw the line. OK, Iím picking on our chapter but I know for a fact that this is the case for all chapters.

Is this a Drivers Club or a Lazy Club? We even took up a Studebaker Drivers Club Day just to get people to drive their Studebaker at least one day year.

Maybe we should rename our Club to . . . "The Studebaker Once in a Blue Moon Drivers Club!" [}:)]

Itís OK to shoot the messenger, if you drive your Studebaker, but then again you are not the problem.

Why do I drive my Studebaker so much. . . well it runs better when not sitting! I use it for work to haul stuff (like today) and never had a policemen pull me over in it, yet! Oh, itís also fun to drive and people love seeing it on the road. [8D]

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

Chucks Stude
11-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Just moved from Houston, Texas to Dallas, Texas last weekend. Could have trailered my 62GT, but drove it instead. 250 miles, 13 gallons of gas, 1 gallon of oil(rear main seal), drove at 75mph. The only problem was that I was the slowest car on the road. Got several thumbs up, all in all, a good trip.

BobPalma
11-10-2008, 09:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by Rick Courtier

Why do we call this club a drivers club when it seems that most of us don't drive our Studebakers?

Rick Courtier

:) That's a forthright question easily answered in 14 words, Rick:

It is known as The Studebaker Drivers Club because it was founded in 1962. A wide variety of new Studebakers were readily available. Most early members were everyday folks whose commonality was Studebaker being their vehicle of choice from the new or late-model used car/truck market.

Many had driven Studebakers their entire driving life and most assumed they'd be able to continue buying new ones and driving them as long as they wanted to drive. After all, 1962 was a good year that would have been even better had the UAW not struck once Sherwood Egbert got the ball rolling; a 100,000-car production year was within reach.

The Avanti was finally getting into full production and a performance image was being enhanced with new high-performance engines. Innovative products like the Wagonaire were coming on line. There was reason for guarded optimism as The Studebaker Drivers Club embarked on its mission of providing comaraderie among the company's more enthusiastic customers, who expected to be able to "drive a Studebaker forever."

That it didn't work out that way kind of put the organization in a bind; the name would no longer be accurate when the supply of Studebakers suddenly became finite in March 1966. Obviously, if some weren't put aside and not used up, there would be none to admire in years to come. The balance between usage and preservation became a quandry that was subject to individual opinion and interpretation...and still is 42 years later!

The country's larger Packard Club, Packard Automobile Classics, was founded in 1953, IIRC. New Packards were readily available and the huge number of "bathtub" 1948-1950 Packards that had been sold insured a good supply of late-model used ones being available as well. It's probably prophetic that they didn't name it The Packard Drivers Club or they'd be in the same boat we're in! :DBP

41 Frank
11-10-2008, 09:23 AM
I for one make it a point to drive a Studebaker to all Chapter meetings except during the winter months when there is snow and ice on the roads. When the SDC was organized most folks were using their Studebakers as daily drivers. As time went by that became less and less customary. Maybe the club should be renamed the "Studebaker Owners Club":)

Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

sweetolbob
11-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Huh!!

I've not been a member of the forum for long but my view is that most of the posts in the Studebaker sections have to do with purchase, driving or repair of the cars. Fits my definition of Drivers. I think most of the posting members of this forum have at least one functional Stude the maintain or drive.

If you mean the Magazine, just pick up a copy and see what the folks are doing, seems they are errr! Driving.

Your definition would suggest that the Silverado I keep in the garage that only sees use on an infrequent basis would eliminate me from calling myself a Silverado driver.

Sorry, can't agree with your observation.

Bob[V]

Roscomacaw
11-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Rick, I've seen the very situation you speak of. The list of excuses is incredible. Everything from "I haven't waxed it this week" to "It's buried under stacks of old newespapers and I haven't started it in ten years or so."

In spite of his rear axle trying to digest itself, I took Pete to Fresno Saturday to retrieve the parts off that doomed '63 Custom. 70 - 80MPH .... the ringing generated by the gnawed ring and pinion has a curious tone when I ease off the gas pedal a mite! If you've ever heard someone playing music on water-filled champagne glasses, that's the sound that comes to mind.
The gamble is that I can get the Cruiser roadworthy enough to press it into daily service so I can address some of Pete's issues.
Pete wants his Aerostar front axle conversion, his 3.73 rear axle and some fresh paint. Of course, he's still feeling pretty proud after our freeway run on Saturday. He got three honks W/thumbs up signs at 70MPH. And then there was the gal in the burger joint parking lot that probably would've done ANYthing for a ride in him![}:)] "Sorry Hon.[:X] I already have a wife![:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

oldguy
11-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Have to jump on the bandwagon here, (My excuse is, it isn't running yet) but step back and peruse the focus of this club. There are the occasional post on how to reach the 395 - 400 point goal, but 99 % are aimed at getting them running or keeping them running. Note the times that members donate parts to keep another members car running. That's a "drivers club".

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
"Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Rick Courtier
11-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Waited for a few post to see if I got Smoke or Fire. . . ;)

The point is if you have a gem, Driving in heavy Florida traffic is not a wise idea as a driver, but start it up and taking around the block is a good idea for your car's sake. Your heard of shelve wear well, there is garage wear too! Now taking your driver Studebaker out more often is very wise. . . it keeps those gremins aways and it make you feel better too with all the attention that you and your car gets.

We only have meetings a few months out of the year ( few more this year then last with being the host for the State Meet) but driving your car to chapter meeting 6-8 times a year is too much for the car?
Driving them to a local car show a few time a year is too much? Driving them to a Family get together us too much to ask? At our last chapter meeting we had 25 plus people at the meeting, I would have thought that there would have been more then 3 cars at the meeting. I was at a meeting in Omaha on a warm summer day at the Sonic and Frank and all the other chapters member drove their Studebakers. But here is Florida (not just our chapter) to see more the six is a rarity. Must be the winter that makes those Nebraskan more drivers then us fair weather Floridians. Hell at one state meet there was only 32 cars at the meet and our last meet only had 52 cars (to be fair it rained on Friday) but we had Clear skies on Saturday and Sunday.

I don't think, asking for people to drive their Studebaker to a chapter meeting with good weather and to just a few car shows an a family outting is to much to ask. . . otherwise, letting them sit until Drive Your Studebaker Day they may just want to sit in the garage and tell you to take a hike! [B)]

People who write to Turning Wheel and or the forums are not the majority of the people who have Studebakers. . . it the lurkers that don't drive their cars and there is more of them the us drivers! [:0]

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

OzarkPetunia
11-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks to Bob Palma for the history ~ I assumed the club had been founded after production ended. Shows you how much I still have to learn!

After finding my Flight Hawk last March, I found the club online and then I found that I live halfway between 2 chapters so I joined both. Although there are always members that don't drive their Studes there are always members who do. Both groups are invaluable for knowledge and enthusiasm and so my husband and I feel blessed to have found them!

The downside of wanting to drive the Super Coop every day is that it's taking me forever to get some important things repaired or replaced. Now that the temp is dropping it's going to be a LOT easier to drive something else while I finally get to the heating system that I put off all Summer!!!:( And those leaks in the firewall...

Fayetteville, AR

tutone63
11-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I will throw my hat in the ring here to assure you that I love driving my Stude! From May-November I drive it every weekend and about twice a week to work...unless it is raining or there are heavy winds...hey, Iowa weather. I keep it garaged from Nov. to May, usually because of snow and Ice and worse...ROAD SALT!! I hate that stuff! I usually wait until we have had at least three good rains after winter before I pull her out just to be safe.

In fact, last thrusday I had to rely on my Lark because my daily driver Chevy had a dead battery, and my beat up work truck was so out of gas that I could not even use it to jump start the Chevy...I know, I tried. So I drove my Lark that day...and it rained. @#$&! Let it be known that was the first day it had been driven in the rain since I have purchased it. I am glad the wipers work.

Oh, well, like my wife says "its not made out of sugar!"

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Warren Webb
11-10-2008, 01:27 PM
I drive my 61 Cahmp around town all the time. Even got a thumbs up on the freeway for a short stint. When I take my 60 convertible out it seems like I get at least one wave or thumbs up, something to that line every time & when I dont, its a bit of a disappointment! Sure I've had things go on me. Just like they do on any car. Ever notice all the cars on the side of the road, especially on weekends. Betcha all are newer than my or your Stude, so nobody is exempt from car trouble. To avoid trouble, they need to be "exercised"!!! Problems jump up when they are left for months at a time, then when you want to go to an event you've been looking forward to, guess what, yep, your smitten with the gremlin lurking under the hood or in the dash. With all the support in this forum & other related sites, there is really no reason why we should be afraid to drive our cars & show the world how really well made they were & are.

P.S. While driving in your brand x daily, try to see each day the oldest Toyota or Honda. You'll be surprized if you see one from the 70's, so all this about how dependable the foreign stuff is debateable.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Rick Courtier
11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by tutone63

I will throw my hat in the ring here to assure you that I love driving my Stude! From May-November I drive it every weekend and about twice a week to work...unless it is raining or there are heavy winds...hey, Iowa weather. I keep it garaged from Nov. to May, usually because of snow and Ice and worse...ROAD SALT!! I hate that stuff! I usually wait until we have had at least three good rains after winter before I pull her out just to be safe.

In fact, last thrusday I had to rely on my Lark because my daily driver Chevy had a dead battery, and my beat up work truck was so out of gas that I could not even use it to jump start the Chevy...I know, I tried. So I drove my Lark that day...and it rained. @#$&! Let it be known that was the first day it had been driven in the rain since I have purchased it. I am glad the wipers work.

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

The only real problem with your car is the previous owner "Troy" rotten little kid never drove it, only complained about it, andd then sold it with his Uncle's wheel and tires still on it! [V]

Perfect exsample of a car being happy now that it's got a owner that appreciates it and drives it. . . :D

Rick (Piss off Uncle) Courtier ;)

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

Lothar
11-10-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm a pretty humble guy and don't often toot my own horn (pardon the pun)but, in this context, I think its appropriate to mention that I won a "Drive It" award from the Nebraska Rod and Custom Association for regularly driving my Champion around town. Of course, you're bound to stand out driving a 1950 Champion in a town of 5000. Aside from this award, regularly driving my Champion has also done a great deal to enhance my reputation as a local eccentric[:p]

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
Holdrege NE

StudeMichael
11-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Don and I drove our Hawks to the State Meet in Tampa recently from the Vero Beach/Sebastian area which was a little under 200 miles each way. It was a great trip even though we had a little bit of rain. It is always good to drive your Studebaker and you really don't know your car unless you drive it.

1957 Packard Clipper
1958 Golden Hawk
1963 Daytona Convertible
1963 R2 Daytona
1963 R2 GT Hawk
1963 R1 Wagonaire
1963 R4 Avanti
1964 Champ
1966 Cruiser

JRoberts
11-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Rick, I understand where you are coming from. There was a period when I rarely drove a Studebaker to Studebaker meets, mainly because of mechanical problems. Still, I always felt guilty for not driving my 2R6 to meets. I now find myself driving a Studebaker much more often, not only to meets but just as daily transportation, than I used to. I find that meets are more fun and certainly the drive to and from is much more interesting.

Today I was delivering flowers from church to some of our shut-ins and I drove the Cruiser. At one house the daughter and son-in-law of the lady I was taking flowers to were really surprised to see the Studebaker. The son-in-law, who is several years older than I am, began discussing Studebakers, come to find out he had owned several in the mid-'50s, including a '53 and '54 sedan. Somewhere down the line he also owned a Golden Hawk. The old Cruiser made it a good day in more ways than one.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Chucks Stude
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Rick, remember that a large portion of the members of the club live in cold climes where it is disasterous to the metal on the cars to operate them in winter. If I lived north of the Mason-Dixon line, I would seriously consider storing the car till March or April. There was not a lot of rust resistant metals used on cars of the time. Preservation is important, as well as driving.

Chucks Stude
11-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Also, as old as these cars are getting, and as the price of parts rises, it would be scarry to leave a Stude on the side of say I-95, or I-35, while you try to find a fuel pump for example. We need to choose our battles wisely.

Roscomacaw
11-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I can heartily go along with what you're saying, Rick. I will conceed that not everyone's in the right situation for using a Stude as daily transport. That I do is just my stubborn way. But it IS proof that it can be done.
But what you're saying about keeping them exercized on a weekly basis has tons of merit. Fact IS.... it's that lack of regular outings that's probably the reason they don't show up at meetings! Dead batteries, low tires, jerky brakes, balky fuel and ignition woes - all those can result from lack of road time - not engine warm-up time - ROAD time. Those irksome impediments will make a chapter member grab the Toyota keys every time.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

tutone63
11-10-2008, 03:38 PM

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

The only real problem with your car is the previous owner "Troy" rotten little kid never drove it, only complained about it, andd then sold it with his Uncle's wheel and tires still on it! [V]

Perfect exsample of a car being happy now that it's got a owner that appreciates it and drives it. . . :D

Rick (Piss off Uncle) Courtier ;)

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

I was wonderin' if you were related!! I heard all of the flak that came from me buying that car...sorry about all of that!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg

raprice
11-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I drive my Lark quite a bit, or whenever I get the chance. Sometimes, I'll tell my wife that I'm taking the Stude for a spin just for the heck of it. I just enjoy driving the car.
I think that most clubs have the same problem getting members to drive their car to club events. It doesn't matter what you call the club, that's just the way it is.
Our local AACA region recently had a car show at William K. Vanderbilt's estate on Long Island. It was to celebrate the 100th anniversay of the Long Island Motor Parkway, which Mr. Vanderbilt built. We opened the event to other clubs because of its significance. Only 50 cars showed up. While we were dissappointed in the turnout, those who came had a terrific time.
We had our cars parked on the lawn of this magnificent place and tours of the Vanderbilt home were given. There's a beautiful planetarium on the grounds too.
The director of the museum & estate has asked us to come back next year to have another show. I guess it was a success after all.
All I'm saying is that you can't force people to drive their cars to club functions. It's all up to them.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
Smithtown,NY

8E12T6
11-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Well, I do drive mine. Maybe I need to drive less and spend some time on sandpaper, primer & paint. Anyway, survivors and remarkably dependable. Drove the Cruiser (64) about 200 miles last Friday, have not filled it up yet but did not use a lot of gas. About 1 quart of oil to prevent rust on the underside (leaks). Drove the Champ about 75 miles today pulling a trailer (moving cows so I have only l place to feed this winter). I do not have to add oil between 2,000 mile changes and thanks to R1Lark it has a NP 540 OD transmission and gets remarkably good gas mileage for a 3/4 ton pulling a trailer. Some of us drivem, some of us shinem. I need to do a little of the later. Get lots of thumbs up on the Interstate with either Stude..........

pwbrown

george o
11-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I drive one of my trucks AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK!!

What are you talkin about??

Take care

george o

Tennessee hillbilly
11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I drive my Lark Conv. nearly every day. Drove it 30 miles round trip today to visit a friend.

Steve T
11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I bought my Lark specifically to drive it for fun; that's why Betty isn't pristine-looking...and once the electrical issues were finally sorted (July), that was what I did whenever possible. Sadly, though, this being Ontario, we have five months of winter beginning right about now! I'm hoping for a truly full season in '09. Here's to the eventual return of spring...

S.

Mark57
11-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I admit I drive my truck a lot more in the summer than winter, but I keep him licensed and ready to go at any time... we get the odd really nice day throughout the winter, so I like to have ready to drive! In fact, he got renewed on Halloween.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0325.jpg

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStoreThumb.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
11-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Tell the truth Rick...
Tell us your Honda doesn't run worth a hoot[}:)];)
Jeff[8D]

Case in point, at the last Central Florida Chapter Meeting, with clear blue skies and the temp being at 78 degrees and a very nice Saturday morning with an easy location for everyone to get to only three that's right 3 Studebakers were driven. Shannon Bruffet's 53 Champion Starliner drive was around 45 minutes each way, Next was Stephen Goodrich's 1963 Daytona Lark with a 10 minute Trip each way. And my 1956 Transtar which was only three minutes away except that I went to work in it that morning and ran some other errands then went to the meeting.

Ok a few do have good excuses, Not having a Studebaker at this time is a good one, and just sell his Avanti after owning it for 15 years is another good one, and of course if you are having a mechanical issue that would be acceptable, but that is about where I would draw the line. OK, Iím picking on our chapter but I know for a fact that this is the case for all chapters.

Is this a Drivers Club or a Lazy Club? We even took up a Studebaker Drivers Club Day just to get people to drive their Studebaker at least one day year.

Maybe we should rename our Club to . . . "The Studebaker Once in a Blue Moon Drivers Club!" [}:)]

Itís OK to shoot the messenger, if you drive your Studebaker, but then again you are not the problem.

Why do I drive my Studebaker so much. . . well it runs better when not sitting! I use it for work to haul stuff (like today) and never had a policemen pull me over in it, yet! Oh, itís also fun to drive and people love seeing it on the road. [8D]

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

avantilover
11-11-2008, 03:32 AM
Down here in OZ where you can drive your Studebaker 365 (366 this year) days a year, we have a reasonable turnout for our monthly club runs, possibly 10 cars (guessing) - and with our Historic Registration (South Australia) we can drive our cars for 90 days a year at a cost of $115, compared to (V8price) $700. I registered Studebelle for 3 years at a cost of $348. All you do is write the date and location of the trip in a logbook (changed every 3 years regardless of whether or not it's full).

The car has to be verified as basically what left the factory, so no fancy wheels, new engines, LPG (propane) etc, and a register is kept by our Historic Vehicles Officer.

We're going to insist that folks show up at the annual concourse to have their vehicles checked, else other arrangements must be made, lest they lose Historic registration. Not too hard to come one day a year???

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia

r1lark
11-11-2008, 05:39 AM

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

I drive my '63 Daytona every day to work (42 miles each way). If I [u]ever</u> get the engine back together in the '54 Champion, that will again be my daily driver.

Paul
Winston-Salem, NC
Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

bams50
11-11-2008, 06:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by avantilover

with our Historic Registration (South Australia) we can drive our cars for 90 days a year at a cost of $115, compared to (V8price) $700. I registered Studebelle for 3 years at a cost of $348. All you do is write the date and location of the trip in a logbook (changed every 3 years regardless of whether or not it's full).

The car has to be verified as basically what left the factory, so no fancy wheels, new engines, LPG (propane) etc, and a register is kept by our Historic Vehicles Officer.

[:0]

To those who complain about your state's DMV- print this out and hang it on your fridge! I feel pretty lucky:)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

[b]"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

hopinfox
11-11-2008, 06:48 AM
I drive my cars on a regular basis year round. The more you drive them the better they run. These are time machines that, at least to me, take me back and make me fell a little younger. If your afraid you might wear out your Studebaker think again. These are pretty tough old machines that seem to thrive on use. I can honestly say that in 45 years and many tens of thousands of miles, I have rarely been let down by a Stude.
With a little care they will outlast you. Besides, after our generation most of our cars will past on into history as we will. Each Studebaker car has a personality derived from the many hands that built it and the owner/caretakers that drive them. So get out and drive!

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
63 Champ (connie)
64 Commander(commando)
64 Hawk (nite rider)
65 Daytona (pumpkin)

Rick Courtier
11-11-2008, 07:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

Rick, remember that a large portion of the members of the club live in cold climes where it is disasterous to the metal on the cars to operate them in winter. If I lived north of the Mason-Dixon line, I would seriously consider storing the car till March or April. There was not a lot of rust resistant metals used on cars of the time. Preservation is important, as well as driving.

That is true. . . but it seems to me that the northern drivers drive their cars more then us southern belt drivers and we have the nice weather. Part must be a from being winter crazy and on the Florida Part I think we may have more of the retire northerners who just want to lay back and do less. [:p]

I seldom see a Studebaker at a local meet unless it's mine and yet we have a lot in the area. And when you do see them people always seem to be drawn to them making it very easy to speak about your Studebaker and the history. You get a that good feeling. So why wouldn't you drive them once in a while?

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

Rick Courtier
11-11-2008, 07:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

Also, as old as these cars are getting, and as the price of parts rises, it would be scarry to leave a Stude on the side of say I-95, or I-35, while you try to find a fuel pump for example. We need to choose our battles wisely.

I have. . . look at the reponse! Since I drive mine a little more then most I've been know to carry extra parts with me like that fuel pump, water pump and even been known to carry a transmission. :D
Sometimes if you poke someone in the eye they may take note [B)] and think about it a little more. Then you can get the wrong results too. [8]

But if I get just one of our chapter members to drive their car to the next meeting then I won or other people in other chapters thinking more about driving their cars to the next local cars show then the public has also won.

Just my thoughts!

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

Rick Courtier
11-11-2008, 07:47 AM
[[/quote]

I was wonderin' if you were related!! I heard all of the flak that came from me buying that car...sorry about all of that!

[/quote]

Just glad someone got it and is driving it!

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
1956 Transtar
1905 Farm Wagon

Rick Courtier
11-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Tell the truth Rick...
Tell us your Honda doesn't run worth a hoot[}:)];)
Jeff[8D]

Yes I did have to drive my Studebaker for about 2 1/2 months straight because of the Honda was in the shop being worked on but you know out of those 2 1/2 month at least half of them I would have been driving the Studebaker anyway! Unlike some other yellow piece of #@$^! :D [}:)]

Now that the Honda is fixed. . . I have drove the Studebaker at least 4 out of the 7 days. . . what's your excuse? ;)

Rick Courtier

klifton1
11-11-2008, 08:08 AM
I used to drive my 60 conv. nearly every day (seldom with the top up) weather permitting. Bought in Cal in 1993, 3 years in restoration, Not a frame off, but nice. Put about 30,000 miles on it and was then rear ended, About $8,000. Spent more time then nessary talking to the insurance company about value, then time chasing parts because neither the insurance company nor the body shop will do that, before it was put back togather. After I got it back home and started looking at it colors didn't match, close but not to my eye, body alignment wasn't as good as the first time around, and I just didn't have it in me to tare it down again, so I sold it at the SDC Nats in Red Wing. It's been on the cover of the TW twice since it was sold, with nothing done to it. I now have a Speedster restomod that I've spent 5 years+ on and I have no idea how many dollars. Will it be an every day driver???? Don't know. I do have a hot-rod roadster pickup in primer for that, and it gets used every day that I'm not on a motorcycle, weather permitting.
Klif

55 Speedster

ChampTrucking
11-11-2008, 08:20 AM
I get mine out as much as I can.I am sure some neighbors do not appreciate my choice in mufflers or launch techniques,but I get PLENTY of attention when I am out.The coolest thing that ever happened to us was when sitting at a traffic light one afternoon,not paying attention to the car in the other lane,and the guy next to starts honking.We look over to see a older gentleman and his wife,both over 60 years old,and they both have the biggest, goofiest smiles and he is steady shaking a thumbs up at us.
My other car club has had the same trouble.One former member giving his farewell speach asked if we had changed the club name from Performance in Motion Street Machines to "Performance in the Garage" because no one brought their cars out anymore. We used to have Strip Day where we hit the drag strip,we used to be the host club for The Street Machine Nationals when they used to do an event here,and we hit as many cruise ins as we could.
Kids,jobs,finances just plain LIFE got in the way .We even quit doing our yearly show since we had trouble finding people to show up and work.So we all went inactive,have yearly meetings to maintain our corporate status,but that is about it.
This club has a great resource in THIS internet gathering. Guys feeling down about their projects can stop in here,get some advise and atta boys,and get recharged about their projects.This Forum can help finding parts,cars ,information and advise. Yeah some guys feel threatened by the cell phone clutching, Mickey D's cramming, radio tuning ,hair combing book reading driving populace infecting our roads,and I can't blame them one bit. But if you have a chapter whose members have become indifferent about driving their STUDEBAKERS,try to change it.Maybe halving dues for a year if members drive Studes to X number of meetings would be a start. Winter is here,so lets plan to drive them more next SUMMER!!!

DEEPNHOCK
11-11-2008, 08:38 AM
My sponsor pays me to drive their car, and they pay my other expenses, too[:p].
(If that aint a CASO excuse, I've never heard one;))
Jeff[8D]

&lt;snip&gt;
Now that the Honda is fixed. . . I have drove the Studebaker at least 4 out of the 7 days. . . what's your excuse? ;)