47 M5 fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 M5 fuel tank

My fuel tank needs to be replaced and I was wondering, what do I need to know about fuel tanks in order to choose the correct one? I would like to put it in the stock position under the seat but thats about all I know. Any information is a help. Thanks again.

There has been much discussion here about fuel tank restoration. How far gone is it?

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Where are you? I have a stock 1947 M tank in very restorable condition. Make me an offer.

Jeff

Comment

Im not so sure on the condition as I have not dropped it yet, but a quick sniff from the fill point tells the tail of some long lost fuel. AKA, fuel has been rotting in there for some time. From what I understand, from the guy I got the truck from, the truck has not been run for 15 to 20 yrs. So I feel I can safely say the fuel is probably like 15 yrs old and rotting the tank out, but I could be wrong.

Jeff I am in Northern California. What would you consider restorable condition?

Comment

My tank sounds similar to yours--its from a truck that had been sitting under a shed for 20 years. Whatever fuel that was in it evaporated and left behind some junk, I'm sure, and it will require cleaning. It doesn't seem to be too rusty, though and I think it will clean up well. With that said, I recommend you take your tank to a radiator shop that does gas tanks too. Let them boil it out and pressure test it. See what you have before spending any money on another used one in unknown condition.

FWIW, my wife's Metropolitan tank required two patches about 6 x 6 inches in the sump area, but it works fine and they only charged $75.00 to clean and repair it.

Good luck,

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I think I will go the route you suggest and see what happens. Im all for saving and using stock parts where I can.

Comment

Working...
            X