PDA

View Full Version : What type of Studebaker owner are YOU?

John and Tracy Smith
11-09-2008, 09:33 PM
This may seem like a strange question, but we have a reason for asking. We are considering trying to write an article for Turning Wheels or for our own chapter newsletter and want to gather some information to help us out. We would like to know how members of the SDC and on this forum would classify themselves. Are you purists ("This is how my Studebaker came off the line and I want it to be JUST like that now")? Are you a "chop it/drop it/roll with it" kind of owner? Is your motto more, "Hey, I do what I can and enjoy what it says about me"?

We know most people don't fit into a single "category" of Studebaker ownership, but we've notice that most people tend to lean more toward a certain direction. We'd love to hear your opinion regarding where you stand.

For the record, we respect and appreciate any and all types of Studebaker enthusiasts. We're not looking to point figures or name names, we are just curious about the trends within the club. We realize that to some, this may be a sensitive issue. If you'd rather email us directly and/or anonymously, your response would also be welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. We'll also be posting this on the truck forum so we can reach as many people as possible.

John and Tracy Smith
Queen Creek Arizona
http://1955studebaker.blogspot.com/
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/studebakertruck/IMG_3130.jpg http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/studebakertruck/IMG_3159.jpg

bams50
11-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I love bone-stock originals, radical customs, and anything in between. Of course, some types of customs aren't my thing. I have a tendancy toward the least-loved models; that's why I'm a real Lark lover[:I] I especially like 4-doors, and 6-bangers- the real workhorses of the brand. I think there's plenty of folks out there to love Avantis and R-series cars; somebody's gotta save the unloved mutts:D I'm one of the minority in this, but I only like what I actually like- it's never about what will be the most popular, or garner the highest approval, or the most attention; and that's very freeing.

So when somebody looks disapprovingly at my "patina"-laden Lark wagon, I can just smile and trundle off with a puff of blue smoke;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

BobGlasscock
11-09-2008, 10:01 PM
The way it rolled off the line, that's the way it is in my driveway.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

klifton1
11-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I bought a Speedster and a half for my project. Kept the hood and deck lid off one car, and Speedster specific parts off both cars, sold the rest off. They were both rust buckets with some repairs. My chassis came from Cal., Body from Ariz. It's a resto-rod but Sometimes the mods. are hard to find except by the purists. If the car is showen, its with the hood down, LT1 power.
Just sold a vary nice barn fresh origional 42 Champ coupe because I had no interest in a stock 6 banger. It was to nice and to origional to modify.
I also drive a 29 roadster pickup with a flathead V8, so I must still be a Hot Rodder at 68 years old.
Klif

55 Speedster

JBody
11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Resti-fy it, within the original design parameters. Leave no stone unturned, and throw away all my receipts. That said, It will have every bit of the OEM chrome (plus some extra) on it, and a numbers-matching block. Today, I was fitting an Olds cutlass front sway bar on it. Forget about chalk marks from the assembly line or South Bend air in the (radial)tires. It will be a driver, but not a daily driver. Hope that answers your question.

studeclunker
11-09-2008, 11:11 PM
I have to agree with Hotwheels and Bams. As to modifications, they are preferrably kept to a minimum. It's kind of a pragmatic thing for me. If an alternator is a better fit, well I just might take the genny out, like Ed, my pickup. Then again, my '56 still has a genny that works quite well, thank you.;) All I have to do is get Bess put back together.[:o)]

You know... I just thought of a great modification for Bess. One of those vintage evap coolers that hang on the window.[8D]:D My Mum used to have one and always asked for a big cup of ice whenever we stopped. She even supplied the big cup.;)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

barnlark
11-09-2008, 11:39 PM
I only own one car. It isn't considered rare, so I'm the "type of owner" that really enjoys the original design, kept it close to that theme, but with minor modifications within the drive train. Also, the type that works on them and loves to learn anything about working on any of them. "Type of SDC member" would be a different answer; I like most any of them with a Studebaker nameplate on them, with a preference for an engine by S-P.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1253_2.jpg

Pat Dilling
11-09-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm definitely from the chop it/drop it/and roll it mold. I love the classic lines and retain those with some subtle adjustments, but it is definitely a Studebaker. But I am also a speed freak and like to modify stuff. I like creature comforts too so here comes the AC, power windows, cruise control etc. I do appreciate original cars, and admire the folks that have the patience to keep or restore them that way. But that's just not for me. I do appreciate being in a chapter that welcomes my modified, hot rod, customized Starlight. I like hanging out with other Stude lovers and when we caravan down the highway I really enjoy all the looks we get.

Pat

Pat Dilling
Olivehurst, CA
Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/stucool53/StuCoolsmallerSigpic.jpg

sals54
11-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I generally like mine low and loud.

sals54
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/NewSignature.jpg

bridgegaurd
11-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Daryl starbird ani't got nuttin on me
i can buy stock in a can chicken or beef. I say chop em drop em, shake em bake em,Rake em, make em rumble, and make lizards use the front bumper for back scrathers. Flames, scallops, stripes, yeah baby. Droped, shaved,decked, mooned,tunneled,ports, milled, punched,stroked,puffed, hammered, and ported. Tip the can and let the smoke pour and the rubber burn.

Slow and stock not me, i'm gonna 98volt my rascal with some big and littles. I'm going down in a blaze of glory don't ya just love guns and rose's, kid rock, lyle lovett, pinup girls,tattoed women, white line fever, jim beam whiskey and Studebakerss. Life is good. thats my type. Oh and sandra Dee of course! Ya gotta have a seat cover.

Flashback
11-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Wow, I will sound like a quiet ole grandpa,
after hearing these others. I likum both
ways, all ways, from mild to wild. The two
projects I have going now are one original
and one modified. I lean toward completely
original. 1 purist vote

Tex in Alabama
53 C coupe
53 4 door

Tex E. Grier
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/Studebaker255.jpg

8E45E
11-10-2008, 08:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

I like my rides as original as possible especially if they are a bit more on the rare side.

I'll 'tweak' any driver for a bit for saftey, serviceability, driveabilty and for my personal tastes.

I have plenty of non perfect cars also, that have custom touches like power steering, offy intakes, 4 barrels, and even a 400 small block.

I'd never alter a rare one like my Skytop, R2 Hawk or R1 Lark though.

MIKE

Mike, that sums up my thoughts as well. The rare ones, special-ordered ones, definitely keep stock.

Craig

4961Studebaker
11-10-2008, 08:29 AM
I would hope you take into account in your article research that most of this information comes from the forums, there's a large antique SDC club inwhich I'm not sure the amount of participation on this forum that could infuence purist/custom votes. Or mention participants on this forum are a small percentage of the overall club memebership. Just a perspective to pass along.

Having said all that, I own one stock, one modified. I lean overall towards modified. However I like and appreciate stock, its just that I like to incorporate up to date running gear, stopping gear, and convienences, wrapped up in an older package.

Could I customize a 395 pt show car?.......NO.......but if it started out with rusted floors, trunk, siezed engine and broken glass. You bet its going the customized route or for parts.

ChopStu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg

jedmu0940
11-10-2008, 08:38 AM
My Studebaker interests are varied, I like going to shows and show
off the brand, I get tired of seeing the same Mustangs,Chevys,mopars
buy the dozens.You may see one or two Studes at a show. My Speedster
is always a hit when I take it,the lemon lime colors stop people in their tracks,they don't believe it is all factory colors
Also Studebaker's are so very stylish and fun to drive.
Studebaker's with a load of factory options.
Finally when I was in High School a Stude. Champion 2dr coupe was
what drive for a couple of years.

1955 SPEEDSTER LEMON/LIME
1955 SPEEDSTER
RED & WHITE

JDC
11-10-2008, 09:02 AM
I do what I want with all my cars. Especially common models and 4 doors. They will never be worth much so have fun with them.

Chucks Stude
11-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Dream machines, better brakes, steering, lights, if possible. Origonal looks.

fiftystarlightcoupe
11-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I lean toward stock or modified stock. On the other side of the coin, I never get tired of looking at the fabrication skills involved on a custom or radical. It would be a boring world if everyone was the same.

Dick Steinkamp
11-10-2008, 09:38 AM
I like them all. 400 point stockers. Those that are "updated" to the owner's taste for safety and driveability. Slightly modified or customized ones. Transplants of engine and other driveline parts. Full on customs. I even like those that have become yard art and are rotting away while the owner dreams of "fixin' it up someday".

Why limit yourself to just one piece of the pie when you are welcome to chow down on the whole thing? [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

mbstude
11-10-2008, 09:47 AM
I agree with Dick. [^]

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/StudeDriveLogo_small.jpg

sweetolbob
11-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Fairly eclectic in my appreciation of other peoples vehicles. I can appreciate the effort and work put into them. For my own vehicles, they need to reflect my vision which is generally to keep the original body lines and then make it look like no other. Don't have any limits on modification as long it presents my vision of the vehicle.

As you can tell from 54K, I like the original lines of the 53-54 hardtop with unusual paint schemes with old Skool touches to the exterior. The drive trains need to be high tech as well as the interior and dash board. Lots of digital gauges, high tech sound and all the modern conveniences.

My choice of body style is what I lusted after in my younger years or catches my eye currently.

In any case, I need to do something to it that you can say, "I've never looked at that combination before". You may not like it but it's my view.

Don't know that I've ever looked at a well constructed vehicle that I could not appreciate, eventhough, it may not fit my eye for the style.

Bob [:p][:p]

Oh yah: And loud too!!

11-10-2008, 10:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by bridgegaurd
.... Oh and sandra Dee of course! Ya gotta have a seat cover...

Uh, Sandra Dee died February 20, 2005. Are you sure you want her for a "seat cover"?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

studeclunker
11-10-2008, 10:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by 53k

Uh, Sandra Dee died February 20, 2005. Are you sure you want her for a "seat cover"?

LOL, considering the preservatives they use nowdays, she might still tan up nicely.;) Then again, you might need a case of those 'lil RR mirror trees![xx(]

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Ron Smith

oldguy
11-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Doesn't matter. I get my satisfaction from fixing things. How I fix them depends on the car. Nice or rare, gets restored. Junkers get modified. Currently taking 3 parts cars (53/54 CK and a 62 GT) and building a hot rod, but it will look 90% original (53coupe).
With unlimited money, and years on earth, I'd save them all, one way or another.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
"Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Roscomacaw
11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Geez - the swirling, whirling donnybrooks that have erupted from such discussions![}:)] [u]AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD FROM THE CHIEF ARBITRATOR OF THE SUBJECT..... YET</u>

Of course, my own parameters have been that it look fairly stock and have Studebaker power.

Someone inevitably makes the argument that Stude bought brakes from bendix or Wagner/Lockheed, trannies from Borg-Warner or New Process, rear axles from Dana, etc., etc., etc.. While that's true to a point, these items almost always were designed expressly for use by Studebaker.
What Studebaker didn't "farm out" was their powerplants (YES - I know there were exceptions![8]) and their styling.
Everybody will champion the styling aspect, but quite a few are quick to dismiss the powerplants. Even that is fine with me so long as you don't qualify your choice with some excuse like: "I didn't wanna be broke down in Wasilla Alaska for lack of a Stude fuel pump!" or the equally baseless: " I wanted something with more power!"
Just tell me: "This is the way I wanted it."
That way I'm free to contine deluding myself that Studebaker put as much care and consideration into their in-house powerplants as they did the inspiring sheet metal. And that said cast iron creations are as much (if not more) a part of the mystique as is Bob Bourke's or Brooks Steven's artful sculptings.;)

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

tempestan
11-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I like practically everything from purist to radical modifications. I especially admire well done fabrication. I don't like to see "rare" or "special order" vehicles modified, but it is the decision of the owner. I built a number of '55-'57 Chevs., but wanted something different, and always like the look of Stude C & K bodies. Took me a long time to find a really good one, but it is close. It is mechanically changed, but want to retain the original "style", which in my opinon, is rarely improved upon. Mine will look fairly original, but much lower, faster, stop well and have AC. I understand that the purists don't appreciate these changes, but I believe Mustang II suspension, Camaro discs, SBC, AC make a great vehicle even better. Tempestan

studelark
11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I have always been classified by others as a 'puriest' of the highest order. Stock is the only way to go. Whenever I see a nice Studebaker of any year, model, etc. that has been blocked, sliced, diced, chevyized, foderized, it makes my heart sink with a 'how could they?'.

I have been put down, laughed at, scorned and poo-pooed because I love stock. One can 'modernize', customize, powerize, or any other 'ize, but none will look as good in my eyes as an original or restored as orginal Studebaker vehicle.

BUT, I can understand the wisdom of taking a junker and making something of it, so long as it wasn't a decent, original vehicle. I can enjoy a modernized Studebaker if the owner kept the original parts so a future restorer could make it as original. I'm with the famous burgess, who represented my county prior to the Revolutionary War, that rallied the legislators with, "Give me Studebaker, or give me death!!".

'Nough said.[}:)]

Frank Drumheller
Louisa, VA
60S-W6
1948 M16-52 Boyer fire truck

tutone63
11-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I would have to say I prefer a Studebaker original or a mild custom...ya know, flashy paint and wheels, a bit of a blown motor (Aww, heck, I don't mind a completely Overblown stude as long as it looks close to original)...but none of this "shave off the chrome" or "I like my frame so low that if I hit a pinecone I bottom out" or, "I have to squint to see out the windshield" My least favorite, however is the "it looks like it used to be a car of some sort, but it looks more like a spaceship now." Also, if it says "Studebaker" on it...it should have a Studebaker Motor! (1965 and 1966 models excluded of course) I may seem a bit opinionated, but that is how I feel. However, I will say that I would rather see Studes salvaged as a custom, as opposed to the alternative of the crusher or stitting to rust away. So I try not to judge.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

bridgegaurd
11-10-2008, 02:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by 53k

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

Not the original, i want a reproduction model look alike with an updated drive motor and a chassis that don't take up too much seat.

Dick Steinkamp
11-10-2008, 02:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

What Studebaker didn't "farm out" was their powerplants (YES - I know there were exceptions![8]) and their styling.

Not that it has anything to do with the topic at hand, bu I'd have to argue that the most notable Stude designs WERE farmed out. Bullet noses, 2R pickups, '53 Starlight and Starliners, Avanti, etc.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

railway
11-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I like them all now! When Dad and us (two other brothers) decided to get into the Studebakers, we decided the only ones we buy would be '58's and older. Stay away from Larks and Avanti's. But that didn't last past the wash. It wasn't long we had 5 Wagonires and some other larks, a couple of Avantis along with a nice '50 Starlight Coupe and on and on.
Most as stock originals as could be, but some with changes. To keep this short I like them all. I do Kinda lean toward the TRUCKS, but don't have one ready to drive yet.

Ebon...
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wfPQZZVgjZo/SQ_Qln0nkFI/AAAAAAAAABo/aUlcwCY2q48/s144/bobbiejo2.JPG

"I sweat to keep others cool"

Mark57
11-10-2008, 02:24 PM
I like 'em all(especially trucks[8D]), with few exceptions. Stock or Custom, that's up to the owner. I largely prefer stock for the vehicles that I own or have owned, although I have made a few tweaks here and there. ;)[^]

I guess technically speaking my '57 Transtar is modified as it has a '63 289 under the hood, 59 parking lamps and Champ hubcaps, but hey, it's still all Studebaker! [:X]

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStoreThumb.jpg

JRoberts
11-10-2008, 03:10 PM
It doesn't look like John and Tracy are getting a lot of definitive answers, which surprises me some considering some to the battles we have had here over this very subject. I find that very positive. I find my self caught in the middle here. My Champ has an R1 engine, certainly not stock. It has a Lark Deluxe interior, certainly not stock. It has an alternator, certainly not stock. Now, would a stock pickup be any less attractive to me? Probably not.

My Cruiser is a '65,which makes decisions like putting an alternative drive train in a little easier. We will soon be rebuilding and very slightly warming up the original 283. I will be putting on disc brakes, a 200R4 tranny and more modern seat belts.

As you can see although I have modified both of my cars, the modifications are not so great that that they have lost their Studebaker identity.

Like many have said I like 'em just about any way you've got 'em. I would hate to see a near perfect, or a rare model, sacrificed just to have a hot rod, but as we saw at Lancaster there are many very nice modified out there. On the other hand, I saw a many bone stock cars at Lancaster that I spent lots of time drooling over.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

jjones
11-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I have to agree with Dick and Matthew--I like them all. However, my preference is for the resto-rod look--pretty much stock on the outside but updated with modern suspension, steering, and brakes, air conditioning, and adequate power. In my case, adequate power is a warmed over Studebaker V8 but I have no problem with brand-x engines either.

Jeff

Johnnywiffer
11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
My green ’54 Land Cruiser LOOKS very stock, especially from the outside (unless you see the AC vents from the rear package shelf to the headliner). Even those are stock (for a ’56!)

Even tho it has black 4-bolt valve covers and a yuck green block, it’s a ’64 Cruiser 289 with an early model intake and “bent” 2 barrel carb. Of course, the fuel pump is low on the front of the block and it does have a full flow oil filter. And the Cruiser’s Flight-O-Matic with a 1-piece driveshaft instead of Studebaker Automatic (tho I do have an “Automatic Drive” emblem set, itching to be installed) Maybe the yellow dipstick near the right hand exhaust manifold is a give-away, too. But the 12 v generator is still black.

Maybe the modern rotary AC compressor mounted on top of the engine might tell you something. Or the hoses and condenser. And if you open the trunk, “Studebaker-Novi” on the AC unit hits you in the eye.

A previous owner (who did the “customizing”) used the steering column from the Cruiser so it has the chrome transmission detent rather than the plastic one for a ’54. And for some reason it has a ’55 steering wheel with the full circle horn ring. And of course there are the AC controls in the center, under the dash. The AM/FM stereo resides in the glove box but the original AM Philco resides in the dash.

So would you call it a custom or stock LOOKING?

Frankly, it is almost EXACTLY the way I would have built MY ’54 (if I had the brains and brawn) so it is almost PERFECT for me, whatever you call it. I keep saying “almost”. I’d have put in power steering and disk brakes but except for those items, relatively easily installed, IT truly is my PERFECT car, call it whatever you will.

No “Ultra-vista windshield” (I can see out the vent windows just fine). No “Lazy S” hood ornament. (Have a 10 lb. gold and silver jet plane instead!) No “Refeshaire Ventilation System”. (Hey, I got rear vent windows that actually OPEN!) No “Reclining seats”. (Won't be going to sleep while driving, will I?)

Just a simple li’l ol’ green ’54 Land Cruiser.

But it’s mine!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/johnnywiffer/1AAA.jpg

John

Mike Van Veghten
11-10-2008, 05:43 PM
1. My 59 Lark 2dr wagon -
Basically stock original. Different seats, wheels...but basically stock.

2. My 60 Lark 2dr wagon -
Corvette C4 custom front clip (owner designed and built), Morrison rear clip, Ford rear axle, four link.
550 hp Chevy engine. Still street legal drag racer.

3. My 54 Conestoga -
Working its way into a late 50's/early 60's hot rod. Will remain Stude powered.

4. My 55 Conestoga -
Will someday take the place of my 59 Lark wagon (#1) as my daily driver. Will have a small block Chevy for power.
Will put pieces and parts on that I want, as I want. This car won't have any theme to it...
Just a car to go places...the store, to races 165 miles away and to the occasional Stude meet.

5. My 54 Conestoga (#2) -
This is a spair parts car for the other cars, as required. The right rear quarter has been removed as a whole to fix bad work on the 55 Conestoga. The fender vents have been removed and given to a friend.
I'd guess...by next summer, the car will have given all it can and will have been divided into small pieces and placed in trash bins for its next recycling work.

Mike

starlightchamp
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I guess I'm a purist. Both my 63 GT and 50 Starlight are close to factory configuration.
WHY ? Cause they don't make 'em any more and when one gets mauled that's one less
for future kids to see what the company did. If you gotta cut , lower, hop- up etc.
get a F--d, Ch--y or something not yet an orphan---but maybe they all will be soon.
,....Dick

bridgegaurd
11-10-2008, 06:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

It doesn't look like John and Tracy are getting a lot of definitive answers, which surprises me some considering some to the battles we have had here over this very subject. I find that very positive. I find my self caught in the middle here. My Champ has an R1 engine, certainly not stock. It has a Lark Deluxe interior, certainly not stock. It has an alternator, certainly not stock. Now, would a stock pickup be any less attractive to me? Probably not.

My Cruiser is a '65,which makes decisions like putting an alternative drive train in a little easier. We will soon be rebuilding and very slightly warming up the original 283. I will be putting on disc brakes, a 200R4 tranny and more modern seat belts.

As you can see although I have modified both of my cars, the modifications are not so great that that they have lost their Studebaker identity.

Like many have said I like 'em just about any way you've got 'em. I would hate to see a near perfect, or a rare model, sacrificed just to have a hot rod, but as we saw at Lancaster there are many very nice modified out there. On the other hand, I saw a many bone stock cars at Lancaster that I spent lots of time drooling over.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Looks kinda like the majority agree on a few things, your car order what you want at the bar. Mods are okay rnaging from looking stock to radical. And of course the try and leave the rare ones stock

As radical as i am, if i had the cash my one and only would be a completely restored 1957 Golden Hawk. And i'd drive it exclusivly till one of us lost an engine. I'm sure all of us has one of those dream cars we wouldn't touch. But then if it's not our dream car. games on.

But that said it still don't change my type.

bridgegaurd
11-10-2008, 06:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith

This may seem like a strange question, but we have a reason for asking. We are considering trying to write an article for Turning Wheels or for our own chapter newsletter and want to gather some information to help us out. We would like to know how members of the SDC and on this forum would classify themselves. Are you purists ("This is how my Studebaker came off the line and I want it to be JUST like that now")? Are you a "chop it/drop it/roll with it" kind of owner? Is your motto more, "Hey, I do what I can and enjoy what it says about me"?

We know most people don't fit into a single "category" of Studebaker ownership, but we've notice that most people tend to lean more toward a certain direction. We'd love to hear your opinion regarding where you stand.

For the record, we respect and appreciate any and all types of Studebaker enthusiasts. We're not looking to point figures or name names, we are just curious about the trends within the club. We realize that to some, this may be a sensitive issue. If you'd rather email us directly and/or anonymously, your response would also be welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. We'll also be posting this on the truck forum so we can reach as many people as possible.

John and Tracy Smith
Queen Creek Arizona
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/studebakertruck/IMG_3130.jpg http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/studebakertruck/IMG_3159.jpg

You started it, so no fair hiding out in the bleachers. Whats YOUR type. No joint opinion here. Lets hear from each of you. And by the way, what did you do with that tailgate?

John and Tracy Smith
11-10-2008, 06:44 PM
We realize that we have yet to classify ourselves as to what "type" of owners we are, so we thought this was as good a time as any to chime in. If we had all the money and resources in the world available to us (including a babysitter and a mechanic), we would without a doubt own several stock, show-quality Studebakers. We say several because we probably couldn't agree on just one! But the resources we actually HAVE available to us (a small budget, not much mechanical ability...but we keep trying!) often cause us to be classified as "CASOs" by some. The reality is that we do what we can when we can and make the best of our semi-stock/modified truck. It's funny how a car/truck can become part of your family. We are sure there are many like us .....(maybe just not as vocal!) :) We embrace what we have and run with it. It's ours and we love it!

John and Tracy Smith
Queen Creek Arizona

Roscomacaw
11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Lark Shine Dick opines......."I'd have to argue that the most notable Stude designs WERE farmed out."

True - on a technicallity. Tho they hired design studios to come up with these designs (in most postwar cases), alot of the work WAS DONE on factory premises. The work wasn't of a "generic nature" unless you want to argue that they probably agreed "up front" that the end result would have four wheels on the ground and be powered by an internal combustion powerplant.
The final approval of the designs were in the hands of the upper echelon Stude execs - so it wouldn't be much different than if they'd hired individuals and put them to work doing the same tasks. Which is a point of wonder, since the other automakers (from what little I've read) had more in-house styling than Stude did.

When you say "farmed out", Dick - it gives the aire of South Bend placing a phone call to Loewy's studios in NY and telling them to send over their next car design. I doubt it was quite that sanitary an arrangement.[B)]
Of course, it seems like these designers blew from one operation to another like dust in a breeze.[:o)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

Dick Steinkamp
11-10-2008, 07:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

True - on a technicallity. Tho they hired design studios to come up with these designs (in most postwar cases), alot of the work WAS DONE on factory premises.

Yea...probably more like "contract employees" than truly "farmed out".

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

silverhawk
11-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I lean torwards being a purist, but will modify only with studebaker parts. There is some exceptions with me such as wire wheels,torq-thrusts,turners disc brakes,and something that is so trashed it will get scraped otherwise.

Dylan
'61 lark regal 4dr wagon
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr200/1961lark/DSC001581.jpg

Steve T
11-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I'd call me a "constrained purist"...constrained financially, of course, but also by notions of practicality (eg. Betty will probably someday have dual MCs and Turner brakes though she did not originally have either). Long story short, practical mods that don't compromise the character of the car (and don't cost a fortune) are OK by me. The kick I get from people's reactions to my humble little Lark VI time machine is what "does it" for me. Nostalgia rules. It's the historian in me.

Which does NOT mean I don't like a beautifully-turned-out custom like that ravishing red '53 droptop owned by one of the forumites here; or even a whimsical rat-rod rolling sculpture like the R-truck milk wagon I saw at Waterdown a while back. If it's any sort of Stude, I'm gonna think it's cool...Besides which, this club really does rock.:D

S.

Clem64
11-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I prefer my Studes as close to factory stock as is "reasonably" practical;).

Dean Croft
Roseburg,OR

CLEM http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x56/Clem64/Clem64Forum1A.jpg http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x56/Clem64/CIMG1894sm.jpg DESEE

DEEPNHOCK
11-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Cantankerous, crusty, stubborn, opinionated, and driven.
In the hobby for the joy, but not the dissention.
Willing to cut up a Stude, if needs be, but respective of the marquee, and the history.
Intolerant of those that are intolerant to the choices that others choose in building their Stude’s.
Jeff[8D]

barnlark
11-10-2008, 11:36 PM
For once that's the exact amount of intolerance that should be around here! [^][^]:D

dictator27
11-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Well said, Jeff. As I noted on another thread, the original owner of my 54 Commander K body ordered it with no options whatever unless you count twotone paint and vinyl upholstery, which I believe were both no cost options. Would its value increase if I put some genuine Stude options on it? I think so, but then it wouldn't be original. Does that make me a purist? We are all individuals and our cars reflect that individuality. I may not like what someone has done with his car, but it is not my car, so I figure I've got no say in the matter. Otherwise, the older it is, the more top heavy it is, and the skinnier the tires on it, the better I like it. I would happily drive an 80 year old car as daily transport, which is what I want to do with my 27 Dictator when I get it back together.:D

Terry

bridgegaurd
11-11-2008, 04:51 AM

John and Tracy Smith
Queen Creek Arizona

here's my type the Suicide King Hawk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuvOy4EKnGI&feature=related

bridgegaurd
11-11-2008, 04:55 AM
Of course you should always make sure you weld thing right, before you play.

Suicide Kings first run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1G9XypOCpE&feature=related

barnlark
11-11-2008, 06:12 AM
John & Tracy, after reading some of these posts, is there a way for future posts to better help in your quest for quality information in relation to that article you will write? Not sure exactly what you wanted: To the point, short and sweet about stock vs. modified tastes, or just our attitude about being owners? Didn't want to waste space for you.;)

clonelark
11-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Let me get my 2 cents in, I love em all.

That said i own a original 55 Conestoga and I'm cloning a 64 R2 Lark, have a 60 red lark, and several complete parts cars. Also have a 34 Ford Sedan delivery street rod. A 70 Buick Riveria GS. A 47 Crosley Pick Up. and 3 Henry J's (one with 25xxx original miles).Lost the 47 Buisk Sedanette in a divorce.

Michidan
11-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Lots here about what we like. However if the original question is what kind of OWNER are we....

The only Studebaker I own is heavily modified. By me and on purpose. Yet I appreciate the stock ones MORE. On a show field I will spend way more time looking at the stockers than the modifieds. I have never thought about this until now, and don't know what it means.

I guess because I can only afford one, and I want to drive it, and show it, and race it, I am willing to modify it. What I really need is another one to keep stock. (then another, maybe another....)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/loraxdan66/signature3.jpg
www.studebakerhardtop.com

John and Tracy Smith
11-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the input, Barnlark! We know it's a question that has a lot of different aspects to it. We considered making it almost a multiple choice type of question and answer format, but decided that the words of explanation (and sometimes the attitude behind it) tells us a lot about Studebaker ownership, as well. We're enjoying all the responses (both on the forums and via personal email) and they have given us a lot to think about. Keep 'em coming, long or short! (But, yes, Sandra Dee is in a better place now...) :D

John and Tracy Smith
Queen Creek Arizona

bondobilly
11-11-2008, 06:21 PM
What kind of owner am I?

An old one

studeclunker
11-11-2008, 09:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

What kind of owner am I?

An old one

LOL, me too!:D And grumpy besides.;)

Ron Smith

showbizkid
11-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Generally, my cars are modified slightly for my own convenience, but I like to try to do the mods in the way the factory (opr dealer) [i]might have [\i] done them. Or at the very least, done with period parts. No motive power swaps or such.

But I enjoy them all - from bone stock restos to wild 8-second runners.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
www.studebakersandiego.com

bridgegaurd
11-12-2008, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the input, Barnlark! We know it's a question that has a lot of different aspects to it. We considered making it almost a multiple choice type of question and answer format, but decided that the words of explanation (and sometimes the attitude behind it) tells us a lot about Studebaker ownership, as well. We're enjoying all the responses (both on the forums and via personal email) and they have given us a lot to think about. Keep 'em coming, long or short! (But, yes, Sandra Dee is in a better place now...) :D

John and Tracy Smith
Queen Creek Arizona

Yep she's where she always was ever since i first seen her on the big screen. In my imagination, reproductions welcome.

A1956GoldenHawk
11-12-2008, 08:44 AM

This may seem like a strange question, but we have a reason for asking. We are considering trying to write an article for Turning Wheels or for our own chapter newsletter and want to gather some information to help us out. We would like to know how members of the SDC and on this forum would classify themselves.
&lt;snip&gt;

Gee, I already know how I am.;)

For many it may be much more inspiring to hear of the adventures of "The Smiths; an All-American Studebaker Family" ...heavy emphases with regard to "YOUNG" Studebaker family. As I see it, what matters most at this point is how YOU & YOUR YOUNG FAMILY classify yourselves and what you think.

For the most part, what a bunch of us now 'old geezers' think of ourselves is already well documented in 46 years of SDC’s living HISTORY. What you and your young Studebaker family think is part of SDC’s FUTURE!

PLEASE ...reconsider writing about "what was." John, Tracy & Family, you are in a unique position and have all the skills to share with us (and hopefully many other young Studebaker families to follow) some of YOUR insight of what is ...and will be!

Think about it!!!;)

JBOYLE
11-12-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm just trying to fix up my Avanti.
It's a very solid car, albeit with a 20 year old repaint that has gone bad. It's currently getting an glass-out, engine-out paint job.
I've already had the seats recovered with a JDP-sourced kit.
It has 110,000 miles and runs very strong...

BUT it will never be a 20,000 mile original, one-owner car, so I'm not going to treat it like one with a no-expense spared restoration.

It's going to be a nice driver, (I want it to be the nicest Avanti in town) but I won't go to silly lengths (and costs) to get it.
My final plans are to have it safe/reliable enough to go to national meets and drive to regional shows.

If I wanted to modify it, I would have bought a Avanti II and saved the trouble...and not had the guilt of messing with a nice stock car.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State