GT frame for 53 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT frame for 53 coupe

Hey, Folks -- I've got myself a very good GT frame for my 53 coupe restoration (already off the original frame). Side-by-side the GT frame & the original are somewhat different (in the outrigger body mounts). Anybody know what (if any) mods I have to make to mount the coupe on the GT frame? Thanks!

Just move the coupe mounts to the GT frame. The rails are the same.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

All you will have to do is cut the (2) OUTER frame outriggers -located just in FRONT of the front spring-eye pockets- off. Then when the body is on, drill the (2) mounting holes just below the trunk hinges, and on the side of the wheel tub. **I can't remember if the holes are still in the GT frame or not... but I seem to remember having to drill them in 1995 when I put a '54 C on a '62 GT Frame.

All the rest of the mounts line up perfectly, and you will just need to add/delete the metal and rubber body-shims.

You will also want to delete the 2-piece driveshaft, and use the 1-piece from the 'GT. ASSUMING you have a long-tailshaft transmission...

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

If this is to be a true restoration, you'll need to swap over the front spring hangers from the earlier frame as well I believe. the '58-up cars used asymmetric rear springs. They supposedly work better than the earlier ones but are not correct for the '53. also you'll obviously need the driveshaft support x-member.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for your advice, everyone!

I'm the guy whose "53 Studebaker Boiler" was recently featured in Turning Wheels. I decided to do a thorough resto, but it is not intended to maintain complete originality, so I'm going to keep the GT spring-mounts and go with GT leaf-springs, and I already purchased a one-piece drive-shaft. Thanks, again!! --pgothard

Comment

Working...
          X