Best Car Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Car Cover

I'm soliciting opinions here- I hope to get my body shell painted soon and will have to store it in a carport until I can get enought parts put back on it to get it in the garage (I can't beleive I still have this many parts left in the garage!)

I should mention I live in the foothills of Colorado, get wind and snow.

I'm not looking to save money- I will probably keep using it even after I get it in the garage next summer.

Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO
    Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO

I purchased a car cover from California Car Covers about 15 years ago for my 39 Ford. It has lasted that long and is in excellent shape. Very heavy, multilayer construction and best of all it breathes, so I've had no condensation problems. If your's did not have the carport, I would have advised you to spend the extra bucks on an enclosure but, in your situation, I'd buy a cover like mine. I believe it's the stormweave. Not cheap but it will last.

As important as a cover is to get the car in the air so there is ventilation under it. If it on solid pavement it should be fine. If it's on ground, I'd put down plastic then roll the car on it and jack it up to reduce the condensation. JMHO

Bob

Comment

You mentioned that you have wind in your area. Make sure that you fasten the cover as securely as you can around the car. You may need to install extra gromlets to make sure that it doesn't move. If it is loose and moves it can damage the paint, and also the cover.

Comment

Maybe you should put it in one of those car bags.

[img][img]
        Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Put the parts outside under all that plastic and those car covers and put the dang car in the garage!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I'll second the California Car cover. Top rate construction. Fits like a glove, even for an orphan studebaker. Long lasting too. I've had mine for 10 years, many of those years outside and some inside.

Best Regards,
            Eric West
            "The Speedster Kid"
            Sunny Northern California
            Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
            And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
            55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
            55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
            Best Regards,
            Eric West
            "The Speedster Kid"
            Sunny Northern California
            Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
            And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
            55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
            55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

I use a cover called Weathershield, purchased on line from Covercraft. I have 3 cars stored outside. In light to moderate rain the water beads up and will literally roll off the cover. I've had a Plymouth Duster project stored under one of these covers fo about 4 years now and the car has not deteriorated. These are very light weight and would need a couple of bungy cords front and back to keep it on a car in windy conditions.

The covers aren't cheap, mid $300's. The other alternative that isn't much more money is an outdoor car capsule. I have one car stored that way. It will come out the same way it went in. The outdoor capsule goes for around $600.

The picture below is of the "bubble" and a little bit of the Duster with the Weathershield cover. The covers can also be ordered in color.

ErnieR

Comment

Gallivan,
                I bought my car cover from Rick Hawkins in Wellington. He is a member of our local chapter, Conestoga, are you & have we met? He would be able to answer any and all of your car cover questions. He goes by HAWK5619 on here. His website is http://wellingtonclassics.com/ .

With that said, I would hesitate putting a cover on fresh paint and then leaving the car outside. Why not get a POD and put your parts in it and leave the car inside?

Do you ever go to the Golden Car Cruises?

Carey
                Packard Hawk

Carey
                Packard Hawk

Comment

Gallivan,
                  You should never put a car cover over a fresh new paint job. The new paint needs at least 30 days to allow the solvents in the paint to finish evaporating. If you have no way to keep your car indoors after new paint I would hold off on the paint job till you do.
                  We are a Covercraft dealer and can supply you with a high quality cover AFTER your new paint has properly cured.

Rick
                  Wellington Colorado
                  Call on us for all of your classic car or muscle car restoration needs, from a full line of Americaan made products to a complete restoration of your classic car from ground up.

Comment

Hi Carey and Rick- yes we have met- I didn't know Rick was a Cocvercraft dealer!
                    I guess I will put it in the garage for a while. It's very confined- I'm not sure I'll be able to walk around it and I'm paranoid about it being dinged in there, but I'll see how it goes!

Gallivan
                    57 Golden Hawk
                    Golden, CO
                    Gallivan
                    57 Golden Hawk
                    Golden, CO

Comment

Mike,
                      I just got home from having dinner with Phil and Marilyn Scott. They reminded me who you are! Sorry I didn't place the name at first. If I had a car to put with the name, it helps me. It won't happen again!

Carey
                      Packard Hawk

Carey
                      Packard Hawk

Comment

Anyone have a recommendation for an indoor bubble/caccoon?
                        I'd like one for my "other" car in winter.

My plan is to start/and drive the Avanti as much as possible/weather /roads permitting even in winter to keet its mechanicals happy.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Bige -- what keeps that bubble that shape? Air pressure or frame or something else? Who is the dealer?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Bige -- what keeps that bubble that shape? Air pressure or frame or something else? Who is the dealer?
                            Air Pressure. They're popular in the UK, their said to reduce humidity and helps prevent rust.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Just air from 2 small electric fans. It has no frame but I saw there is a framed indoor version. The thing I don't like about it is wrestling it on and off. I'm sure the outdoor version is heavier and it gets stiff in cold weather. The framed version has a zippered front door so you can drive in or out easily.

My outside bubble keeps the car as nice as it went in and I'm sure the indoor would do the same.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Comment

Working...
                              X