This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ding Dong There Goes The Windshield

It had to happen sooner or later. Last week while driving into work with the Cruiser one of those d*mned dump trucks[}][V] changed into my lane and dumped some gravel onto the interstate.

I could see this one rock very clearly in the moonlit morning bouncing along the interstate well within the range of my headlights. With safety rail to the right and cars to the left. There was no where to go. In an instant, the rock hit my windshield on the passenger side like an asteroid out of nowhere. DONK![}] Then, there was a bullseye, staring me in the face.

[V]

I phoned my insurance company once I made it to the office. Since Kentucky has some sort of rule about windshields (i.e. they break, your insurance company must replace it), I started down the slippery slope of trying to explain exactly what a Studebaker was, and who made them.[]

A few days later, the repair guy arrived at the office and took a look. He said it was bad, and he didn't think he'd be able to fix it at all. He said the best he could do was stop it from cracking. He said he wouldn't know where to begin to find a new windshield. I related that I knew where he could get one, but then he said he wouldn't even know where to start replacing it on a Studebaker. Of course, it would probably need new rubber, and he couldn't guarantee the stainless or the headliner[}][}][}]. He said he'd try to fix the bullseye, and if I wasn't satisfied, they'd have to figure out what to do from there.

I left when he got the drill out[xx(]. About 30 minutes later, he called and said he was done.

I'm amazed. You can't even tell where it was hit. He said he'd never fixed one THAT bad before that came out so well. He said Studebaker must have used superior glass.

Well, as a matter of fact.....

When the drill came out and he started drilling into the windshield, I left. The pucker factor was too great[:X].

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

You should get good life out of that repair. I have had it done and have been very satified. For the record, they drill through the outside glass to the plastic layer and then place a suction cup on the newly drilled hole and draw a vacumn. Once they have a vacumn they place some sort of clear liquid in the hole and allow the vacumn to suck it in. And that's it. Keep driving them.

Comment

When the drill came out and he started drilling into the windshield, I left. The pucker factor was too great[:X].

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

You should get good life out of that repair. I have had it done and have been very satified. For the record, they drill through the outside glass to the plastic layer and then place a suction cup on the newly drilled hole and draw a vacumn. Once they have a vacumn they place some sort of clear liquid in the hole and allow the vacumn to suck it in. And that's it. Keep driving them.

Comment

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
          Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I just had one fixed on my 48 Champion and I am very happy with the repair!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I just had one fixed on my 48 Champion and I am very happy with the repair!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

So,ya ever find out who really made that car?

LaSalle,Il
                61Hawk
                60Lark
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  60Lark
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Yup, that's one of those R-A-M-B-L-E-R-S[}]

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

LaSalle,Il
                    61Hawk
                    60Lark

Comment

Yup, that's one of those R-A-M-B-L-E-R-S[}]

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

LaSalle,Il
                      61Hawk
                      60Lark

Comment

Working...
                      X