Another Stude in a wrecking yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Stude in a wrecking yard

A fellow Stude nut and I set out to assess the two Studes I bought in Fresno about 2 months ago. We took tools and air-worthy wheels to replace the flat, cracked dead ones.
    The guy I bought therm from was there to let us into the storage yard and we changed tires and talked Studes for half an hour or so.
    He then casually mentioned that there was a '63 in one of the help-yourself yards and Jack and I were off to investigate.
    What we found was a 63 Lark Custom (63V-Y6) with lots of nice parts and sheet metal.
    I pulled a few things while Jack looked around a bit. In short order he came back to tell me there was a Rambler Ambassador about two rows over. On seeing it, I knew immeadiately that it was a '66 Ambassador. Shame that it was there. It was dirty from sitting out for years, but every bit of it was straight as an arrow and rust free!
    I'm going back up there tomorrow to pull some more stuff off both cars.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Headin' out this morning to retrieve a few more parts from this '63. I'll try to get a couple photos of it today. I'll make you fellas back east weep a bit. The paint on the floor of the truck was in great shape. I didn't pull up some of the carpet to check there, but I'll look today. 259/auto car with NO rot or even bubbling on any of the sheet metal. The drivers side doors are pushed in - probably from when they set it out with the front end loader that they move cars with. The 259 was a partial flow engine, so it was probably a transplant.

Wish I could save more of it, but the prices of parts has gone up more than 100% since the last time I bought stuff outta there! Must be the crazy scrap prices that dictated this.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

And yet, the 'crazy scrap prices' have gone in the toilet since the Olympics.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Well, I was busy today with this junked 63. I took it's perfect hood, the right rear door (my Cruiser's RR door has that nasty crease in it), the deck lid (nice), the AM radio and a few other minor trinkets. $99 bucks, out the door.
        This thing had a factory day/night mirror, which I forgot to snatch![B)] But I'm gonna go back up there to take some parts off of that '66 Ambassador on Monday, so I'll get the mirror then.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

Comment

ITS A SHAME YOU WESTERNERS CANT GRAB THE COMPLETE CAR AND MAKE USE OF ALL IT WHAT DO YOU SUPPOSE HAPPENS TO THIS RUST FREE SHELL AFTER ITS BEEN RAPED MOST LIKELY THE CRUSHER I LOVE TO TRADE A DOZEN OF MY RUSTED MIDWEST LARKS FOR A SOLID BODY (WITH PAINT ON THE TRUNK FLOOR) FROM THE WEST CAUSE WHEN THEYRE GONE THEYRE GONE.

Comment

The Pick-Your Part type places usually tell you when you ask about buying a car, that they have no license to sell used cars and can only sell parts. They put them in rows by make, and up on 4 very sturdy tip proof stands and after a couple weeks they just go down the line with the forklift and take whatever is left to the back where the big drop hammer is, to get them ready to load up and haul to the Harbor for export to Japan or Korea and it's bye bye Stude. to become someone's new $30,000.00 piece of JUNK! [}]

Sometimes you get lucky and see a sign on a neighbor's old Stude. and beat the Junkyard to it, if he isn't holding out for Rolls Royce prices, that's the only way you can score lots of good stuff cheap. [^]

The Forum Members have reported however that the one Big Pick Ur Part in Willimgton, CA near Long Beach does have a separate Classic Car Lot, since they bought out the Classic Car Junkyard "Memory Lane" and of course for a BIG price, you can buy a "Junk" Classic and tow it away because they do have a license.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In my younger years I worked at a service station(yeah,I'm old enough to have been a "pump jockey") that was a block away from a crush yard.I simply watched the road and flagged down haulers bringing cars to the crusher.From guys pulling cars with chains to wreckers if they drove by while I was working they could hear me yelling.The crush yard was offering $20 a car,I offered $30.I got the cars and either fixed and resold or stripped then dragged to the crusher myself.Entreprenuer at age 16...lol
              Seriously though,if possible make a friend or two who own businesses close to a yard,educate them on Studebaker body styles and maybe they can flag down a hauler before they make the yard.I still use this method today.I have "pickers" throughout the area.Most are yard employees who buy the cars as they come in under the auspice that they will fix them up at home.Some are yard owners who will pass the car on to me providing I pick them up in a day or two.3 friends own companies near yards and we put those small (4x5)mobile billboards near the road that just say "I pay more than the junkyard". Just another way to play the game but ya gotta work at it.
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

One thing that will help- scrap prices are shot. We're currently offered $100 for complete cars with rad, batt, and cat. converter. I don't sell them now; just put 'em in the back lot. Scrap went from a high of $395/ton to $80.

I don't know how to help those solid WC cars. A couple months back I tried a big push to help sell Bob Peterson's cars and parts from CA. Some did jump in, but even FREE DELIVERY from CA to PA on parts didn't move a lot of people. Most still lament hearing, but don't do anything. I would LOVE to have the one Biggs is robbing parts from; but I'm doing all I can. I bought his 4-spd. Wagonaire that was about to get parted because, while many said it NEEDS to be saved, no one bothered to pony up. I personally contacted several who clamored for it's salvation, only to hear..... wellll.... ahem.... So I bought it, even though the shipping is more than the price of the car; and I'll be pretty upside-down at the start. But if not me, then who?? Nobody, it appears...[V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bob.
                  You beat me to the 4 speed wagon. I contacted Biggs just a day or two after you got it. Being on the east coast, I have conceded to the fact that the only way to get a nice restorable car without having to fight numerous rust issues is to have one shipped from the west coast, even if the cost is more than the price of the car.
                  I will be bringing my 59 Lark home in a few weeks, but as any Stude nut, you can't just have ONE. ( kinda like Lay's potato chips )
                  Mr Biggs (or Saint Studebob, as I remember we used to call him) has another possibility for me to get a decent car without too many rust issues.
                  My son just turned thirteen and I promised him that he would be driving a Stude. My 20 year old son has a girl on the brain and does not care about old cars unless all he has to do is turn the key and drive.
                  I am in the process on clearing my non Stude inventory with exception of my 59 Ranchero so I can make room for Studebakers. (the sickness is growing !!!)

Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

One thing that will help- scrap prices are shot. We're currently offered $100 for complete cars with rad, batt, and cat. converter. I don't sell them now; just put 'em in the back lot. Scrap went from a high of $395/ton to $80.

I don't know how to help those solid WC cars. A couple months back I tried a big push to help sell Bob Peterson's cars and parts from CA. Some did jump in, but even FREE DELIVERY from CA to PA on parts didn't move a lot of people. Most still lament hearing, but don't do anything. I would LOVE to have the one Biggs is robbing parts from; but I'm doing all I can. I bought his 4-spd. Wagonaire that was about to get parted because, while many said it NEEDS to be saved, no one bothered to pony up. I personally contacted several who clamored for it's salvation, only to hear..... wellll.... ahem.... So I bought it, even though the shipping is more than the price of the car; and I'll be pretty upside-down at the start. But if not me, then who?? Nobody, it appears...[V]
                    More than a little truth in that! How many times I've seen a part, say a Dana rear, priced at $1,000-$1,300 at a dismantlers or other but fight to sell my own for $150. Or have those ultra rare parts and offer them and zero takers even at stupid low prices. It's a very strange market fueled by: right place/right time and nothing more!

Comment

First to Commanderpink: Quite some years ago, I quit asking at these help-yourself yards, if they'd sell me the whole car. They won't. And believe me - they DO NOT CARE about a valuable, even historical vehicle being saved. I've tried with all the different angles, to make my case. I've told here before, about some of the really sweet and complete Studes I've come across in these yards over the past 25 years! Anyway......

bob40: As it happens, the yard manager where I was at yesterday has actually held Studes back for me in the past. He even DID take home a '65 Daytona for me once. In that instance, I dragged my feet for two days about getting the money to him (he wanted a few hundred for it and the only thing wrong with it was the back glass had been shattered) and someone else beat me to it!

Heck, I even worked at a junkyard when I first came to California in '82.[:0] Believe me - it went against my instincts yesterday to take parts off a Stude that was solid, reasonably straight and 98% all there. But here I am with TWO MORE Studes headed to my place and me saying all along that I'm gonna thin the herd.[B)]

Observe that this is what happens when the disease has you TOTALLY in it's grasp![xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

First to Commanderpink: Quite some years ago, I quit asking at these help-yourself yards, if they'd sell me the whole car. They won't. And believe me - they DO NOT CARE about a valuable, even historical vehicle being saved. I've tried with all the different angles, to make my case. I've told here before, about some of the really sweet and complete Studes I've come across in these yards over the past 25 years!
                        Luckily, our local PYP yard here does hold back some 'good' cars to be sold whole before sending them to the yard for parts. I did obtain a '65 Cruiser from them that was in the compound complete, and may have saved it from being destroyed. But one does like to go there at least every couple of weeks just in case they did drag in a rusty one that will usually yield a few parts of it.

Craig

Comment

Mr. Biggs-
                          Out of curiosity, what is the Ambassador- 880 or 990, doors, color, and options?
                          My understanding about pick/pull yards, at least here in SoCal, is the inventory comes mostly from impound auctions, etc. Years ago, a 60 Cad Eldo showed up. A friend tried to buy it, but the yard explained that it was a Building & Safety dept. impound and could not be resold.
                          The pick/pull in Sun Valley does have a "for sale" section. These, I believe, are Charity Donation vehicles. The prices are always on the high side. If they don't sell, they end up in the yard.
                          One car I always rue not stripping; I was "just looking" at one yard about 10 years ago, and there was a complete and untouched 57 Champion 4 door which somehow ended up in the Ford section. Three months later, a 58 Scotsman fell into my lap, but the 57 was long gone. I hope someone else found it before it was crushed.
                          Autocrat

Comment

quote:Originally posted by autocrat

Mr. Biggs-
                            Out of curiosity, what is the Ambassador- 880 or 990, doors, color, and options?
                            My understanding about pick/pull yards, at least here in SoCal, is the inventory comes mostly from impound auctions, etc. Years ago, a 60 Cad Eldo showed up. A friend tried to buy it, but the yard explained that it was a Building & Safety dept. impound and could not be resold.
                            The pick/pull in Sun Valley does have a "for sale" section. These, I believe, are Charity Donation vehicles. The prices are always on the high side. If they don't sell, they end up in the yard.
                            One car I always rue not stripping; I was "just looking" at one yard about 10 years ago, and there was a complete and untouched 57 Champion 4 door which somehow ended up in the Ford section. Three months later, a 58 Scotsman fell into my lap, but the 57 was long gone. I hope someone else found it before it was crushed.
                            Autocrat
                            All i can say is get more young folks interested, the more members the more that get saved. No telling how many will studes join us in the bone yard because we didn't get our families interested.

And that old junk car dad or gramps had at his place got towed off by a scrap dealer. How many have we bought at a good price for that same reason.

How many of us take our cars to other car meets instead of just Stude gatherings. Why not do a stude cruz in a the local drags, a stude tailgate party at a local high school game.

At first i thought it was cute to have someone ask me who makes taht car. Now i just want to find a way for them to not have to ask.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by starliner62

Bob.
                              You beat me to the 4 speed wagon.
                              Jamie, you didn't beat me yet. I'd be glad to let you- or anyone else- have it for what I paid before I ship it. I'll also share my shipping research info.

I had a Wagonaire I was happy with that I sold to save this one. If I get it it will be YEARS before I can do anything with it- too many ahead of it. But NO WAY could I let it get junked! I can't blame Biggs for doing what he has to do; in fact he sold it for probably less than it would part for. He offered it in May, complete with threats to part it. I bought it in October. I could hear the clock ticking on it, so I took action.

If you want it, have at it. I just got NOS interior panels from SASCO fot it, and a NOS vanity.

If someone wants it, that's great- I'll put the money in my Daytona. If not, I'll put it into storage until some later date.

At least it's safe from the crusher[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                              X