PDA

View Full Version : Richard Poe's R1 Lark in Muscle Car Enthusiast

BobPalma
11-07-2008, 03:02 PM
:) The December 2008 Muscle Car Enthusiast from Amos Press includes a photo and write-up of Richard Poe's Charcoal 1963 R1/4-speed Lark Custom 2-door. I just received my subscriber's copy a couple days ago.

The car is shown running the pretty, old-style Cragar mags on which Richard normally runs around if he isn't participating in a Pure Stock Drags event. The photo backdrop is he and Rose's retirement cabin in the scenic hills of Indiana's Brown County southwest of Indianapolis maybe 60 miles. Nice setting and a nice write-up.

They mention it being an R1/4-speed and having turned a best of 13.96 ET in the quarter-mile. Unfortunately, they don't mention that an R1 is a naturally-aspirated engine, so readers may figure it's fast "because it probably has a supercharger like all those fast Studebakers in Michigan." Wrong.

Anyway: Congrats, Richard, on more good Pure Stock Drags Studebaker exposure. :)BP

41 Frank
11-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Way to go Richard.:)

StudeDave57
11-07-2008, 05:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Unfortunately, they don't mention that an R1 is a naturally-aspirated engine, so readers may figure it's fast "because it probably has a supercharger like all those fast Studebakers in Michigan." Wrong. BP
There isn't a picture of the engine bay showing it has no blower [?] [?] [?]
I'd already know by now, if I hadn't let that subscription run out...

[:0] [B)] :( [V] [xx(] :(

StudeDave '57 [8D]

fastfritz
11-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Way to go Richard!!!![^][^][^]

A great little Lark (and owner) that's a great drag strip performer as well!

Frank Remlinger
SDC# A004602R
http://automotivemachine.net/smleftsdcaps.jpg

BobPalma
11-07-2008, 06:14 PM
:) No engine bay photo, as all suspect. Just a LF 3/4 shot of the whole car in the nice trees with their cabin in the background. Those Cragars sure do shine!;) :DBP

63larkr1
11-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys. One of our goals has been to put Studebaker performance out there so people can see that Studebakers had some fast cars. Itís good to be able to be part of that, along with regulars Ted, George, Peter, John, Doug, and Chuck at the PSMCDR every year. This event has been a good thing for us Studebaker lovers. Bob keeps track of our progress in TW and thatís no small accomplishment.
All of you that run your cars at tracks around the county should keep us up to date on your progress, I for one like reading about it.
Bob, maybe a letter to the magazines is in order? I didnít think about the non supercharged thing, but maybe four years ago they had a picture of my Lark and Georgeís Challenger in MCE and said something about supercharged Studebakers in the caption. I did write them and told them my Lark wasnít supercharged and they printed my letter and picture.
Frank Remlinger, I hear you changed your mufflers and put up some fantastic numbers! Maybe I should try that?
Richard

R3 challenger
11-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Congrats, Richard. You've got us all wondering how much more there is in the R1. 13.90 territory is mighty impressive, and I'll bet there's more.

George

george krem