Ideal Studebaker Christmas Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal Studebaker Christmas Present

Those of you looking for an item for "hint-dropping" onto the spouse or significant other couldn't do better than to ask for a copy of newly-published The Studebaker National Museum...Over a Century on Wheels Commemorative Edition by SNM Archivist Andy Beckman. It's advertised on Page 47 of the November 2008 Turning Wheels now in most forum member hands.

I bought a copy yesterday at The Studebaker National Museum when delivering The Plain Brown Wrapper and can report the book being "as advertised..." or better! Just beautiful. Gorgeous layout, premium glossy paper, many photographs on every page, and full-color throughout.

(It's also a treat for those of us who are annoyed by such things: It was designed, published, and printed in The United States of America...in fact, right here in Evansville IN in the SW corner of the state. Having been in publishing many years, I groan when examining a beautiful book extolling an American product...and then noting the citation Printed in China somewhere in the front matter.[V])

Andy's book is not an in-depth analysis of anything, but a colorful, well-written, and heavily-illustrated overview of Studebaker's products and history through the years. An easy read for anyone and a good decoration for your coffee table when not in use...buy one! (The Commemorative Edition had a press run of 1,000 copies. The random copy I bought at The Museum Gift Shop yesterday was #298. I didn't notice the serial number until I got home or I would have rummaged through the stack and got a significant Studebaker engine number like 304.)

Highly recommended. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I was wondering, are there just automobiles in this book or does it cover the pre-gasbuggy age? After all, Studebaker was number one in those days.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

I was wondering, are there just automobiles in this book or does it cover the pre-gasbuggy age? After all, Studebaker was number one in those days.

Ron Smith
      Everything, Ron. Chapter 1 is Meet the Studenbeckers (original spelling). The first sentence of that chapter is:

In June of 1736, the Dutch ship Harle left Frefeld, Germany, destined for Philadelphia. Among its 388 passengers were Peter, Clement, and Henry Studenbecker.

The story unfolds in solid chronological order from that point.[^] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, I'll be checking out pg. 47 when my November TW shows up. [8D]

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar Deluxe
        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
        May 23 & 24, 2009?
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Bob Palma is right. This is a senstional book & I've expressed my sentiments to Andy on the book at Lancaster. My issue #169 is close to me by my computer in bubble wrap which I carefully unwrap to have a read every couple of days. Would highly recommend this book as a Christmas present.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
          MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
          X