GT Hawk interior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk interior?

Hi, I just have a small question. I am currently considering buying a Studebaker as I have recently stumbled on some (probably good) finds; A Golden 1963 Gran Turismo Hawk with 52,000 original miles, and a 52 Commander Starlight coupe (with another Starlight parts car) both in excellent condition with minor engine/tranny work required. I like the Hawk more and am more likely to chase after that one though.

That being said the Hawk has a interesting seafoamish green interior. It looks original to me, but after a few hours of Google image searching I have yet to stumble on any GT Hawk's with a similar color for the interior. I was wondering what the options were? And if anybody knows if these cars had the option of a green interior. Obviously if it's not a stock interior the car loses quite a bit of it's value to me.

Say the car is in great condition and it has the original interior, but does need minor engine work what would the ballpark value be?

1953 Packard Caribbean
    1977 Toyota Wolverine
    1941 Lincoln convertible
    1964 Volvo P1800

Value is dependent on factors such as engine. A 4 bbl 289 would be worth more than a 2bbl, an R-1 is generally appraised at 10% more, an R-2 20% more. Is all paint original? trans type? & like you said, is the interior original or replaced by an upholstry shop made to look similar? Its really hard to say. If it runs decent & has been maintained, that accounts for something, but if its just been sitting for years, you could be in for some problems & unespected expense. Years ago I bought my 63 Hawk, it looked reasonable to me, until I noticed the engine number was JTS something! I went home, looked it up & my suspecions were correct, it was an Avaniti R-2 engine, but was missing the supercharger & sounded "normal". The next day I called the owner & asked him & he told me he didnt like the noise the blower made, took it all out & sold it for $700.00! It took me 3 years to come up with all the pieces to make the car right again, but has been well worth it. Investigate, look up ads such as in Turning Wheels, Hemmings Motor News, ect & go with your gut feeling. One thing for sure, unless your on your way to a Studebaker meet, chances are you'll be alone with anything like it on the road, and that joy is priceless!!!

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

And to add to what warren said, YES, there were Green Interiors in '63 GT Hawks. Does "Golden" mean that it is Gold car?

On a Gold car it would be a bit unusual, but since it does not actually CLASH, it could have been built that way, but also could have been changed because a few years ago all new interiors WERE available in South Bend, especially the non-popular green ones. The green can be commonly seen on Green or White cars, and was a Medium slightly metallic silvery Green, but not real bright, light or very Dark (does that help?).
      I would call Seafoam, a milky white-ish very light Green.

The bottom line here is, get the Serial # from the door post, send it to the Studebaker National Museum and get the production order to see what it was built like.

Some people do THINK these were "Golden Hawks" you know, but they are not! GT Hawks yes. [:0]

Here you go Spencer!

StudeRich Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by shoshokid

...the Hawk has a interesting seafoamish green interior. It looks original to me,
        Hmmm... you mean, kind of like this one, on the most perfect GT I will never get a chance to own?

JDP: I'd jump all over that BIN price if I had the bucks. Don't care what anybody else says - this has ALWAYS been my favorite color for '64s... and it only adds to this baby's beauty. Thanks for the pictures. Now I have to go lie down, or take a cold shower, or something []

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
        In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
        If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Yes, that looks to be the interior. Thank you Rich! And yes, when I said Golden I was simply referring to the color of the car. Anyways, I think I may offer him somewhere within the ballpark of $5,000-$6,000 I need to see what engine it has in it though, I believe it needs new rings and I know it has a very small dent that will need to be handled. Otherwise it's straight as a arrow. Do you guys believe this to be too high? I will try to grab a picture of the sucker.

1953 Packard Caribbean (restoring)
          1977 Toyota Wolverine
          1941 Lincoln convertible (restoring)
          1964 Volvo P1800 (Daily Driver)

Comment

Working...
          X