PDA

View Full Version : Twins (almost) FS on ebay 57 58

StudeRich
11-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I hope Keoni doesn't mind, I started a new post on these Provintial Wagons as the Wagonaire post is getting too long!

QUOTE:
I'd surely appreciate it if somebody could help me understand the price differential between these two:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1958-Studebaker-Provincial-Station-Wagon-Full-Size-Rare_W0QQitemZ150307701677QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ US_Cars_Trucks?hash=item150307701677&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A-2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1957-Studebaker-Commander-Provincial-Wagon_W0QQitemZ150307740733QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item150307740733&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A-2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

What makes the acid-flashback-taxi-yellow '58 six times as desirable as the slightly scuffed but otherwise generally unmolested '57 in its period-correct (and much easier-on-the-eye) original rootbeer metallic? Not trying to be a smart@$$ here - I'm stumped and would genuinely like to hear other folks' take on this one.

Thanking you all in advance, I remain yada yada yada

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

P.S. Tom: please keep me in mind should, God fobid, you ever have to part with your Commander. I guarantee I'll give you substantially more than scrap value for it, no matter what the market's doing.

(Edited for humor)
Edited by - JGK 940 on 11/06/2008 02:04:11 AM

END QUOTE______________________________________________________

Quote, StudeRich:
Well that certainly is a fair match up, both Commanders, Wagons, 4 Dr's, 259's, both Overdrive. But the yellow '58 has the wild looking wrong paint, in good shape, big fins, both Overdrives inoperative. Yes this is an interesting comparison!

The Redwood Brown one clearly needs a bit of rust patching on front fenders and the scrape straightened, a tune-up (or more), Brakes redone and minor TLC, but I think it has way more potential than the yellow one, being all original and needing no re-doing to make it more correct and an acceptable driver for a sane person to be seen in! The interior is the best original '57 Sedan/Wagon I have ever seen, and we have 5 of these in the family!

One reason the yellow one IS getting the bids is the much better presentation, and of course it's turn-key condition with good chrome and paint, even though the Interior is terribly gaudy, and the exterior color is garish! $10,000.00...I don't think so

In this market, neither will hit reserve.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

studegary
11-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Rich - I appreciate you, and others, separating topics out. For the first few years, I read every post. I no longer do that. By burying a second topic withn another topic, many may never see the second topic if it is in a topic that they choose to skip over.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

StudeRich
11-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey Gary did you see what I said in that Wagonaire post about your guess on who might have owned that Red & Black Wagonaire?

(Please don't post about it here!) :D [:o)]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

JGK 940
11-06-2008, 03:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

I hope Keoni doesn't mind...

Not at all. Keoni's not particularly experienced with the workings of this kind of forum and is grateful for the guidance.

Or, as we say around here:

Shoots, brah! Mahalos!

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Warren Webb
11-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I can't agree with Rich more. The yellow one with that late 60's mod interior would make one go blind in no time. The 57 although it needs some work, is much more desirable in my book. Am I right in seeing the inner front fenders painted white while the cowl is painted the brown main body color. Looks very original & well kept since it was last registered in 1965!

One thing both have in common......battery hold downs!!

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

StudeDave57
11-06-2008, 05:59 PM
That poor '57 has been listed at least three times.

I wonder if it'll sell this time... [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave '57 [8D]
San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
San Diego County SDC
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
'55 PROTOTYPE panel van

StudeRich
11-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes Warren, that is a very original car! That machine pressed simulated pleated Vinyl was almost as bad as the '62 Larks for splitting at the seams, so if that is original which he seems to indicate, it's BEYOND amazing! [^]

The paint is that way I believe, because the main body color was applied to the whole body and the secondary color White added over it, BUT the fenders were painted just opposite and separately and installed on the body later, on the assembly line. So it was too much un-needed extra work to mask the hood line, to do the inner fenders a different color than the upper fender to match the firewall and in those years the U.S. built ones only had a light (overspray) coat there anyway, like most of the '64-'66 Canadian cars did!

I recall posts asking what was the correct firewall color on those three-tone '55 Speedsters, and that gets CRAZY!

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Am I right in seeing the inner front fenders painted White while the cowl is painted the brown main body color.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

bob40
11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Dang.I am the only one who doesnt think the yellow/white looks good?
Stitch up the seats in 50's diner yellow and white heavy vinyl tuck
and roll and maybe some vintage chrome wheels.
Either that or fade in a patina style "Acme Cab" on the doors

mbstude
11-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I actually like the yellow one. Cept for the seats. :)

Matthew Burnette
Hazlehurst, GA
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/StudeDriveLogo_small.jpg

studeclunker
11-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Well, I kinda like the yellow one too. Still, the seats are sorta like a California thing anyway... ya know? All it needs is surf boards on the rack to be perfect (LOL)!:D[8D]

It would be nice to know the story behind the brown wagon. She was really babied and loved by someone.[:X] Her interior is nothing short of miraculous. Defineately a garage-kept car.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

mnmfive
11-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I kinda like the yellow one, but I do not like the fact that it is not original. I think the seats are kinda cool for being reupholstered. If I could buy the yellow one cheaper then the 57 I would take it. Jim R

Jim Rostron