Plain Brown Wrapper @ SNM w/ on-site photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plain Brown Wrapper @ SNM w/ on-site photo

Thursday, November 6, I'll be transporting The Plain Brown Wrapper from Ted Harbit's place to The Studebaker National Museum, where it will be displayed through mid-July 2009.

It was displayed at the old museum during the winter of 1999-2000, but this will be its first trip to, and inside, the new museum.

So if you're in the area and have a few hours to again take in the new Studebaker National Museum, or see it for the first time, here's another example of the constantly-changing environment that makes it worthwhile to stop in the SNM every time you are near <s>Mecca</s> er, South Bend. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That's great news Bob, I am sure the SNM will create a super display for our beloved Historic PBR, one that will make cousin George proud!

I wish I could be there to see it, but if you are on the walkway to that early Studebaker Wheel Monument from the unused front double doors, check out our Brick at the right front corner! [^]

You'll be seeing it in person anyway, before I am! [:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This is really great. Even more of a reason to visit South Bend. Congratulations.

Comment

Great, how about posting a picture when it is on display?

Don Wilson
        53 Commander Hardtop
        64 Champ 1/2 ton
        Centralia, WA
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Not for me to say, of course - but I'd like to think that car - with all the history it's created for the marque - would eventually end up in the museum's hands.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Don't take this wrong...
            I am glad it is just 'on loan'...
            At least there is some true control over the object by the owner.
            Museums are...well...museums..
            They are entrusted with artifacts.
            Artifacts that can be moved around as 'they' seem fit.
            How many Stude's are sold (by museums) as 'surplus' that have some history attached to them.
            Does the 'enthusiast' apply that history value to them?
            Tough call.
            Glad the owner has decided to 'share' his Studebaker with museum goers.
            Glad he has retained control of his Stude, though....
            Just an opinion...
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Not for me to say, of course - but I'd like to think that car - with all the history it's created for the marque - would eventually end up in the museum's hands.[^]
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

'Just returned from the adventure. Up at 5:30 AM. 1957 Golden Hawk 400 guru Tom Lawlis appeared at 6:15 AM to go along.

'Hooked up the trailer, filled the truck with gas, and we were on the road to Ted Harbit's by 6:45. Arrived at Ted's earlier than expected; 8:20 AM instead of the projected 9 AM. Granddaughter Julia had stayed overnight, so Ted and Mary Ann had long been up...and had eaten all the pancakes![:0]

'Loaded the 'Wrapper and left Ted's, after appropriate discussion, at 9:05 AM.

'Arrived in South Bend and pulled up alongside the museum at almost exactly High Noon. 'Unloaded the 'Wrapper and drove it straight into the elevator at ground level on the south side of the musuem (after Andy Beckman opened the door, of course...)

The elevator made a quick trip to the second floor and the 'Wrapper was pushed off the elevator and onto the second floor gallery. Wheel jacks were positioned under each wheel so it could be rolled around. The car was rolled right into an empty "drive in" space at the mock Bonnie Doon drive-in eatery. The Wrapper is positioned right next to the first production Golden Hawk 400 and both have their hoods open. Museum visitors will be able to compare 1957 Golden Hawk and 1964 R3 supercharger setups side-by-side.

Display designer Don Filley surveyed the placed car and decided where to position the audio-visual kiosk that will be playing a continuous loop of the car running at The Pure Stock Drags, a disc Mary Ann made that accompanied the car on the trip to South Bend. (Expert photographer Tom Lawlis recorded everything but still prefers print film, so that will have to come later.)

Lunch followed at Joe's Bar near what little is left of The Oliver Chilled Plow industrial complex, with Andy Beckman, Tom, and Don Galeziewski.

(I had called ahead to local SDC friend Don Galezieski of South Bend to see if he wanted to join us for The Wrapper's placement and lunch. He was thrilled; he had taken the day off work at The South Bend Police Dept to get some work done around the house but gladly dropped everything to come over. It was such an unseasonably warm, pleasant day that he drove his gorgeous Red / Black Top / White Interior 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 383/4-speed to the museum and helped position the Wrapper before we went to lunch.)

Rain was forecast for later in the day, but did not begin until we were almost back to the Indianapolis area, so our early start got The Plain Brown Wrapper inside the museum several hours before any moisture appeared.

Overall, a super day with no glitches whatsoever. The car will be there until at least mid-July 2009, so stop by and have a look if you are in the area. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I want to thank the Studebaker National Museum for putting the Wrapper on display (it's a sneaky way to get free storage over the winter, no?) Seriously, we appreciate the interest in the car.

Our goal from the start has been to enhance the Studebaker performance image because we knew the R-engines had a potential that was virtually ignored by the muscle car community, both then and now, although that is changing thanks to Ted, Richard, Bob and many others. Those of us who were in our teens back in the late 50s and early 60s often wished that magazine coverage had been kinder, although we have to be thankful for what we got.

We're glad to hear that SNM may have an audio-visual display near the Wrapper showing its last run or two. The last run has been available for some time on the internet (PBW beat a 1970 Olds 442 with 455/365 engine). But not so well-known is the fact that it beat a red, 427 tri-power Corvette on its next-to-last run. We don't know what happened to the Corvette, but the run should have been closer than it was. But a win is a win, and we'll take it. Neither run was close.

Good idea, Dan, about posting a photo of the PBW in the museum. We'll stay on it.

George

george krem
                george krem

Comment

I am glad that the staff at the SNM is much better now than it was years ago when they gave my Avanti, that was on loan there, to someone else without even giving me a call. Because of this bad experience, I am now leary of musuem loans.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Just so happens that I was up in SB this past week. Went thru the museum on Thursday afternoon. I never caught on as to what car I was looking at, but I did take this picture:

and here's the engine of that Golden Hawk 400 sitting next to it.

Comment

That Golden Hawk 400 engine compartment picture is good for another thread/topic where the guy claimed that a 1957 Golden Hawk 400 (the one in the SNM) had a Packard engine. I see that the GH 400 does have that rare invisible battery option &lt;G&gt;.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudHawk60

Just so happens that I was up in SB this past week. Went thru the museum on Thursday afternoon. I never caught on as to what car I was looking at, but I did take this picture:

and here's the engine of that Golden Hawk 400 sitting next to it.
                        Boy, Keith; you are quick! Since you took those pictures Thursday afternoon, November 6th, the engine in The Plain Brown Wrapper was probably still warm...we placed the car and opened the hood just before 1 PM!

Thanks for the detail photos "on location." BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

That Golden Hawk 400 engine compartment picture is good for another thread/topic where the guy claimed that a 1957 Golden Hawk 400 (the one in the SNM) had a Packard engine. I see that the GH 400 does have that rare invisible battery option &lt;G&gt;.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

But at least the battery hold down is there.[8D]

Comment

Didn't PBW get a PowerShift trans installed shortly before 'retirement'? No ET comparisons available I don't suppose.

[img][img]
                            Dwain G.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Don't take this wrong...
                              I am glad it is just 'on loan'...
                              At least there is some true control over the object by the owner.
                              Museums are...well...museums..
                              They are entrusted with artifacts.
                              Artifacts that can be moved around as 'they' seem fit.
                              How many Stude's are sold (by museums) as 'surplus' that have some history attached to them.
                              Does the 'enthusiast' apply that history value to them?
                              Tough call.
                              Glad the owner has decided to 'share' his Studebaker with museum goers.
                              Glad he has retained control of his Stude, though....
                              Just an opinion...
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                              I agree. I love the museum, but I would hate to see some of those beautiful examples simply sold off when room runs out. Cars like the PBW, need to be in the control of owners who love them and will continue their legacy.

Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X