Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Bess' newly upholstered front seat today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Bess' newly upholstered front seat today!

Well, I'm in hock up to my eyeballs, but it was worth it! Now, all I have to do is get her back on the road again. A new starter would help...[8]

But at least the front seat looks great! Have a look:

I'm having trouble with those metal covers on the sides. They're too tight and the upholstry hangs up on them when the seat back returns back. Should there be spacers or something?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

That looks great! It is a surprise since almost every post you write includes a reference to how terrible your financial situation is[:I] Did you get her running?

It looks like it would be the correct pattern and material; is it? Where did you get it?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Cool.

ChopStu
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

That looks great! It is a surprise since almost every post you write includes a reference to how terrible your financial situation is[:I] Did you get her running?

It looks like it would be the correct pattern and material; is it? Where did you get it?

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131
        Sorry Bob, I wasn't aware how much I was whining.[:I] The money to pay for it was lent to me by a friend. No, Bess isn't running yet. I have yet to modify the '52's transmission to fit and need some other parts as well.[8] Actually, I need to get her motor into the shop as it's snowing today.

I think the name of the material supplier is SMS. They're in Washington. I could look up the address for you if you like. Be aware though, they promise delivery in six weeks or so and will probably do so in six months. The upside is that they DO deliver in the end.

Does anyone have any ideas on those side covers?

Ron Smith
        Ron Smith

Comment

ONLY six months? You got off easy! It took the owner, Doug Pollock, a year before he finally told me they couldn't supply the material for my '57 Packard wagon.

Chip
          '63 Cruiser daily driver
          '57 Packard wagon almost on the road!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

So Clunk, does mean that you had a local interior shop re-pad and re-cover those, with the Material from SMS in Oregon?

The reason I ask is, someone else showed off their new SMS Interior, as though SMS actually DID the job! I/we forum members were not aware that they did any actual INSTALLATION! [:0]

If so, the SHIPPING would be as much as the job!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes Rich, Mrs. Landreth did it for me. She's in Weaverville about fifteen miles away. My first concern on this wasn't that the seat be exactly OEM as much as matching the back seat, which though stained and beat up, is perfect Bess is a driver, not a show princess. A practical old girl who still works for a living.

Ron Smith
              Ron Smith

Comment

Here's the lower rear seat cushion from the Cruiser. It's covered with '64 seat covering that I bought at SASCO a few years ago.
                The rest of the seats will be covered with the same stuff. They the covers I bought) were/are seat and back coverings for 2-door sedans. And while they fit the Cruiser's rear seats ALMOST without modification, the front ones will be diced up and used to cover the split bench seats the car has.
                I don't know what trim level these covers were meant for. I doubt it was the higher end cars, but it likely wasn't for the cheapos either. The upper portions have the square-imprinted vinyl like some 63-64s had. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get all the pieces back.
                I found a stock headrest the other day - it came to light while I was rounding up parts for the Biz cpe I sold. I'm having it covered to match and will install it on the passenger's seat.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That does resemble the '63 Lark Regal Cloth Seat, actually Cloth and Vinyl, or something else very familiar to me! I would have to see the Vinyl cap on the seat back to be sure.

But of course it is not going to matter, if you just want era correct Studebaker material for a reasonable price, the COLOR is right-on. That will look good in that '63 Cruiser Bob! [^]

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for wakin' me up, Rich! You made me remember that '64 showroom book I got with this car. I turned to the section about colors and styling and THERE'S that upholstery pattern!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I did exactly the same thing Bob! But seeing nothing in '64 with X patterns, I guessed '63 Lark Custom! But it IS hard to see that pattern from afar!

That must be the seldom seen Daytona Cloth, NOT popular in '64 since Vinyl was all the rage then, and the Daytona Vinyl was SOOO beautiful! [^] [] Which is exactly why there is still some left in South Bend [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yeah, the "squares" on the upper vinyl part are smaller than those on this Cruiser's upper sections. That's what initially made me think it might be other than '63.

If you look at that page again, it's the uppermost pattern shown to the right. It's even the same shade of blue.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

I think the name of the material supplier is SMS. They're in Washington. I could look up the address for you if you like. Be aware though, they promise delivery in six weeks or so and will probably do so in six months.
                          The seat looks great, clunk! []

SMS is in Canby, Oregon...near Portland. Phone number is 503.263.3535 email is info@smsautofabrics.com

They made some custom vinyl for the Ute. Exact matches to the exterior Chippewa Green and interior custom cream. They were super easy to deal with and delivered in about 3 weeks. They have also sent me about 15 samples of green carpet. Others' experience may vary, but I'm impressed with them.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm happy with the upholstry material I recieved. Thankfully, there wasn't any hurry. Though, after six months I was ready for a refund. Suffice it to say, I was much happier to get the material. It isn't the same quality as the original, being lighter in construction. Still, Mrs. Laundreth backed it and it sewed up really nicely. She's the one complaining, not me. The only way one can tell the difference at this point is to lay a swatch on top of the other and then it does look different. As it is, I couldn't be happier.

Ron Smith
                            Ron Smith

Comment

Hey Ron,

Glad to see your making some progress on Bess. Seat looks good!!

George
                              Grants Pass, Oregon
                              65 Commander 2door
                              64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
                              63 Champ
                              63 GT Hawk
                              51 Champion Starlight Coupe
                              George King
                              Grants Pass, Oregon
                              64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Working...
                              X