Parts cabinet score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts cabinet score

About a week ago I was driving Pete on an errand and the drive took us past an auto parts place I'd seen for years, but never had visited. Might seem kinda odd that I'd never stopped there in 20 years, but there was something about the place that just didn't seem right.
    But this particular day I had some time and decided I'd stop and investigate. I was met inside by a young gal who asked if she could help. Thing is, one look around and I had concluded my suspicions were right. There were parts on the shelves, but not many. And a lot of the display shelves were almost bare.
    Now, this place has a busy service center off to one side of this building and it turns out that the parts section only carries filters and stuff for the service center. While it was indeed, a car parts store years ago - they just never got around to repainting the building to reflect that they're strictly a repair garage nowdays.

Well, while I was explaining to the gal as to why I was there, the shop owner comes in to see what's what. He and I start talkin' and he gave me a brief history of the place. I explained that I thought MAYBE they might be a source of parts that I could use from time to time and he was gracious enough to say that if there ever was some way he COULD help, he'd be glad to.[^]

As I turned to leave, I noticed the big Edelmann cabinet display hiding behind the door. It's getting tough to find places that carry a really good assortmnent of brass fittings anymore - what with modern vehicles using less and less of such. To top it off, when you DO find what you want, be prepared for sticker shock! 3 - 4 - 5 bucks a fitting is to be expected nowdays.[:0]
    Anyway, I asked the owner if he'd be willing to sell the odd fitting if and when I needed one. He came back and said: "Yeah - sure - we never use any of that stuff anyway.
    Hearing that attitude and thinking the 180+ nice big drawers would be great for storing small parts, I asked: "Well, would you just sell me the whole thing?"
    "Sure!" says he. "It's just in my way here anyway. Make me an offer."
    "No," says I. "It's yours to sell - give me a price."
    "How about 50 bucks?" says he.

Well, bein' as I'd been pulling out the drawers and finding fittings in maybe 40% of them, I shot back: "Sold!"
    We proceeded to load the 3 sections of it and the base into Pete's bed. Heh - I'll bet the scrap value of all the brass I got is worth more than 50 bucks! Most of what's left is big stuff that I'd never use, but what the hey!
    I welded some casters onto the base cause that suckers HEAVY!

[img] http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/309061...w/DSC00003.JPG [/img]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Wow! now THAT'S a score! 180 + drawers? incredible! [^]

Now in my shop, those Edelmamn labels would soon become "Studebaker" labels and part numbers! [^]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You know what ya have there- You have the bits n' pieces half(particularly on automotive plumbing projects) that can take the fun out of most projects. This is the quick answer to that long sought after fuel pump fitting that is NLA. Nice haul!!

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
      [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Proof of the existance of kharma and of "it never hurts to ask - it might be for sale."

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Yeah, I was particularly pround that ALL the drawers are there and intact. Yes, the little labels have a blank backside
          What you can't see in the photo is that it's topped by the vac/fuel/general-purpose hose dispener as well.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together!
            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

holy crap Bob, that's a great score. congratulations!

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

This proves that it pays to be a talker.I probably would have taken a quick look around and left. Great catch.

Don Wilson
                53 Commander Hardtop
                64 Champ 1/2 ton
                Centralia, WA
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

That is indeed a real score. Those brass fittings aren't quite worth their weight in gold, but they are getting close. And the cabinet itself is a keeper for sure.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Congrats. Very envious . . . .

Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Mr Biggs, Thats awesome. I agree with all above that it never hurts to ask. I always ask for a discount. Even at the big retailers. It works about half the time.

sals54
                      sals54

Comment

Sal, I agree with you. It used to be that I could count on getting the same price on parts that the repair shops paid to parts places. At least, I could when we still had a NAPA in town. Now the buggars wanna hit me for "list" unless I argue.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

Comment

Remember, your AAA (a vital part for old-car drivers who are afraid of getting stranded) card gets you a discount at NAPA and some repair shops.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                          X