Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pump strainer

Hello everyone.
    I'm currently rebuilding the R2 motor for my Avanti and I got to the stage of installing the oil pump when I noticed the oil strainer mesh was torn and rotting away.
    I thought I would get one out of a motor I have laying around however after removing the strainer/suction pipe I noticed that the suction pipe was different in length and shape (same overall height however).
    I assume the difference is for clearance from the baffles in the Avanti sump pan as the original one appears to place the strainer more underneath the pump.
    I haven't been able to check this theory yet but if it proves to be the case and I can use the good strainer how do you replace the mesh in the original one.
    pb

Has anyone noticed this before?

You will find that in an engine that has sat around for years with no oil. Just take a small flat blade screw driver and pull apart the crimp at the outside edge. Cut a piece of stainless steel screen to size and install and re-crimp. If you do not want to re-install that washer in the center of the screen you can leave that cross strap off. That was just designed to bypass the screen if the screen got clogged.

Comment

Thanks for that Alan.
      I will try that tonight.
      pb

Comment

Working...
      X