PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Egbert article



tj1852
10-30-2008, 09:07 AM
I hope it's okay to post links here. I found this article from the Lodi News of Lodi California. Interesting stuff:

www.lodinews.com/articles/2008/10/18/opinion/columnists/hansen_steve_081014.txt

8E45E
10-30-2008, 01:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by tj1852

I hope it's okay to post links here. I found this article from the Lodi News of Lodi California. Interesting stuff:

www.lodinews.com/articles/2008/10/18/opinion/columnists/hansen_steve_081014.txt



Most interesting!! I now see Bob Palma and George Krem weren't the only high-school aged admirers of Sherwood Egbert!![:0] Great read!!

Craig

StudeRich
10-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Yes, it is fine to post links to Studebaker related items here! Thank you, that is a GREAT story about my HERO! [^]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

BobPalma
10-30-2008, 01:16 PM
:) Absolutely OK to post such a link here; I wish we had a new one like that every day! Yes, it is good to see other youngsters at the time sharing George and my enthusiasm and respect for Mr. Egbert, Craig.

And if the editors at Collectible Automobile didn't mess with it, here's the opening sentence of the next-to-the-last paragraph in my article on High Performance Studebakers:

"Studebaker's 1963 and 1964 high-performance program did little to impact the bleak sales picture being painted by forces beyond the control of Studebaker's energetic new President, Sherwood Egbert, 'Father of the Avanti.'" :DBP

8E45E
10-30-2008, 01:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
Yes, it is good to see other youngsters at the time sharing George and my enthusiasm and respect for Mr. Egbert, Craig.



It's no wonder you and George didn't cross paths with him....he went through the front door while you and George always went through the many back doors of the plant!!:D[:0]

Craig

Mark57
10-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for posting the link TJ, an interesting read to be sure. :)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
May 23 & 24, 2009?</h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStoreThumb.jpg

barnlark
10-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Great, positive article! [^] Was "November 1963" an official date from his research, or did he mean December?

BobPalma
10-31-2008, 09:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Great, positive article! [^] Was "November 1963" an official date from his research, or did he mean December?


:) No, Dave; it should have been December. I noted that but didn't mention it. :DBP

Avantidon
10-31-2008, 09:22 AM
TJ, Yhanks for posting a link to an article that needs to be seen by Studebaker folks and IMHO many others. One mistake the writer made as noted by others here, the factory closed in December not November as he states. That's just a minor point in an otherwise fantastic piece.

JBOYLE
10-31-2008, 10:13 AM
A club official ought to send him an email to say thanks, his work was noted and appreciated.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

8E45E
10-31-2008, 01:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

A club official ought to send him an email to say thanks, his work was noted and appreciated.



I think we ALL should! That way, he may feel comfortable writing MORE about our favorite automaker. And if he doesn't own a Studebaker, or belong to SDC, it may encourge him to do so, since he does have some admiration for the marque![^]

Craig