1947 Paint questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Paint questions

I am restoring a 1947 Champion 4 door. I am wondering was the intake manifold originally painted engine color or was it natural cast iron?
    Does anyone know the name of the paint for the dash? I have Acme and Dupont color chips but no information is given about dash paint. Were all of the dashes painted in the goldish color? Were the hood hinges natural or body color? Thanks.

In the August '95 issue of Turning Wheels, Fred Fox wrote about the '47 models. He says the "engine block, head, pan and associated parts were painted olive green." While he doesn't mention the manifold assy expressly, I'd be surprized if had been painted green also. I'm only guessing here, but it seems like (as casually as they painted these engine assemblies) it would have been hard to get good paint coverage of the block on that side of the engine with the manifold in place. Since Fred does say that the carb and fuel pump (among other things) were natural metal (not to mention that paint's gonna burn off of the maifold's exhaust runners in short order), I'd leave it bare cast iron. If the thought of it rusting right away is a worry (which it will do), use some of the cast iron color spray paint that's available at auto parts stores.
    They were really very sloppy about spraying on the green paint on the engines. Oft times they got overspray on other parts (like the starter) that were black.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The intake manifold should be the same olive green as the engine.
      Not sure on the hood hinges, I'm guessing either a cad plate (silver color) or plain untreated.
      I'd like to see a pic of the dash if you could. Not sure if the 'goldish' color is a repaint or if it's the infamous 'greige' used for many years in several different shades. Your best bet might be to remove an original, unfaded part like the glove box door and have a paint store computer scan the interior surface for a match.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I thought the dashes were woodgrain? I have a 47 champion with the original dash and is is woodgrain.

Comment

Thank you for your input. Our dash is indeed greige and we took it and had the color profitted at the paint store. I believe that woodgraining was optional.

Comment

Medium Walnut Grain woodgrain dashboards were standard on Regal Deluxe trim levels in 47 & 48 Champions. Deluxe trim level is listed in parts book as "Prime." Your 4dr sedan will have a body tag trim code of either W 3 (Deluxe) or W 5 (Regal Deluxe). 47 & 48 Commanders have their own colors. All 49s just list prime. Other interior items (in addition to glovebox door and ash tray door) that would be woodgrained (on Regal Deluxe) would include: inside windshield garnishes, door window garnish molding, and rear window divider bar garnish.

If you're worried about it being "correct," don't worry about it. This club isn't that ______ [](fill in the blank). Very few people would know on these cars what is and what isn't as original. Enjoy your car!

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X