Windshield install HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield install HELP!!

Tomorrow my brother and a friend are coming over to put in the windshield in 54K. We have installed a couple of early F**ds but none with a gasket like this. SASCO 1942x1

I know, my 5th grade grandson could do better, but now you understand why I became a Chemist.

My problem is: If the glass goes in A, and the Trim in C, I would need to pull the thick area to the left of B into the window opening and that looks very, very wrong.

I know I'm missing something obvious but I'll turn to the experts for advice.

Thanks, Bob[?]

If I am reading the diagram correctly--A and B should be reversed

The side with ridges goes in the window channel-- one groove holds the glass--and the other the stainless--and the stainless MUST be installed with the glass

It goes in as one big unit

Same with the back glass

Comment

Thanks Ceecab, the problem with seeing the forest was that there to many durn trees in the way. When I uncoiled the gasket it came out the way I originally tried it. Just could not get the trim slot to the outside where it belonged and could not visualize how it could work the other way. Took the gasket outside after your post and it falls in place properly.

Many thanks, Bob

Comment

I was fortunate enough to have an experienced glass person put in both my front and rear window for $80 15 years ago.

I was going to do it myself. I had a nice windshield, installed the gasket around the glass, put in the stainless, then one of the two front windshield panes cracked while I was holding on my lap with no real pressure. I understand that old glass becomes brittle, so handle with care.

I agree, your picture does not look quite right. I believe one of the channels is L-shaped to receive the stainless, one is glass thickness to receive the glass, and the other has a flange that hinges/lifts up to go into the car window opening.

You should refer to the shop manual. Basically, sealer is applied to the window opening. A cord is wrapped around the assembled window/ gasket/ stainless in the part that splits for the car opening.

You hold the window over the opening, then you pull on the cord to lift the inner flange of the gasket to the inside of the window, while the outer flange stays outside the window.

Its about a 5 minute job once the window is assembled and ready to insert.

Good luck

Paul

Comment

Bob,
          Don't forget to apply bedding compound to the body and glass sealer to the windshield.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
          X