Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Daytona is now a Skytop!!

My parts Daytona, that is.

I needed some metal to fix the trunk floor in my project car, and I've always wanted a Skytop...

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

LOL! I can't tell you how many times I've done that over the years... and still do! I use flat hoods and trunks as well. Makes sense to recycle perfectly good metal[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Maybe not a cover photo, but interesting nonetheless.

Comment

You alway said that you wanted a Stude with Air, now you have one. Lots of air!

Comment

Looks like a very good project car to me, Matt. Wouldn't take too much work.....

And I vote yes for a cover photo like that, if not that.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Cool pic Matt. I can relate to the skytop! I bought a 59 Lark 4dr Regal that was a rust bucket that had sat for many years. It started up without much work at all. After freshening up the brake system. Within 2 weeks it went from abandoned car in a field and left for dead. To a car that went to the mountains for a drive, Then to the competing at the drags trip running nitrous for a day then ended up a convertible cruising the beach. I was about your age at the time. The good old days.

Gordon

Comment

For a second, I thought you had grafted a skytop onto your mom's car! Great use of that roof. That car must have had a full donor card when you got it! [^]

Comment

I still need to take out the TT rear end, the power brake setup and drums, the pedal assemblies, and a few dash components. Once I have those out, there will literally be nothing left of this car that's usable. There's a recycling center right across the street from the shop, I wonder if they'll take leftover parts cars..

I never would've thought it, but there was a LOT of good stuff that came off this poor old wreck. It was rusty as can be, and was totalled. Yet it helped many, many others live on..

Oh, I'd actually LOVE a Skytop in my 'good' Daytona. 'Fraid it isn't in the cards, however. [V]

Oh, and this shot could never be a TW cover shot. That old coupe body to the right isn't a Stude, even tho it's sitting on a Stude truck chassis.

Here's another shot...

How many Studes can you count in this photo? There's 10 if you include complete chassis's.

And the other direction..

To the right.

And the left.

And don't tell Bob Palma, but I was standing on the roof of an Astra White, '64 Daytona Wagonaire when I took these pics.

Matthew Burnette
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That's ok, Matthew, you don't weigh as much as those of us who have kept heavy spare tires for an emergency. That Wagonaire can take it. Wisdom doesn't necessarily hold as much weight with age either, btw.

Comment

Working...
                  X