"Old Cars" - Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Old Cars" - Again

I have previously mentioned that "Old Cars Weekly News & Marketplace" has given nice coverage for Studebaker items and has fairly frequent coverage of Studebaker related items.

For example, the Oct. 9 issue had a little coverage of Richard Quinn's service award article and Bob Kabchef/studebob's horn button article in Turning Wheels.

This week, Oct. 30, Old Cars has outdone themselves on Studebaker coverage, without being a Studebaker specific issue.
    1) article: "Studebaker stood firm in '37-38",
    2) article: "The little, lovable Lark" - a major part of the article is about David Murphy and his '63 Lark Regal sedan; David's Lark is an SDC and AACA winner; I called David (he's not online) tonight to make sure that he was aware of the coverage - he knew as he also subscribes,
    3) article: "The last true Packards: 1955 & '56",
    4)"Weathered Wheels" - a '47-48 Studebaker sedan,
    5 "Reader Wheels" - a 1950 Studebaker pickup,
    6) article (related) - "Packard Six vs. Packard Eight",
    7) "Auction Express" - picture and coverage of 1956 Studebaker Sky Hawk sold at Carlisle auction.

I just received my copy this afternoon and haven't read any of the items yet. I just wanted to post this information so others can look for it (or consider subscribing).

I have no connection with "Old Cars". I have been a subscriber since the beginning (1971?) and enjoy it and they do treat Studebakers well.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

I just got my copy of Old Cars today. Looking forward to the articles.
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I might have received that issue, I'll have to check.
      I did get an email with a link to the online version of the article tonight.
      John

Comment

Gary: Was that the super-low-miles black & white Sky Hawk we've discussed here? What did Old Cars Weekly say about it? BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I love that paper. I gave it up because it has so much info in it every week, and I'm anal about letting go of any reading material until I've read EVERY page, so I was ending up with piles of partially-read copies strewn about my office, car, and master bath[:I] Just couldn't keep that up...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Gary: Was that the super-low-miles black & white Sky Hawk we've discussed here? What did Old Cars Weekly say about it? BP
            Yes, Bob P., it was the 2800 mile Sky Hawk. It was one of the two cars pictured in their auction report. It doesn't say much other than the miles and that it sold for $42,000 at the Carlisle Auction.
            The other car pictured is a 1956 DeSoto Firedome (hemi) hardtop, also in number two condition, that sold at the same auction for $21,000. How about that! A Studebaker sold for twice what a same year, similar model, similar condition DeSoto sold for at the same auction.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I love that paper. I gave it up because it has so much info in it every week, and I'm anal about letting go of any reading material until I've read EVERY page, so I was ending up with piles of partially-read copies strewn about my office, car, and master bath[:I] Just couldn't keep that up...

[brown]Robert (Bob) Andrews

At last count, I was receiving 27 periodicals on a regular basis. I used to go with a FIFO system, then switched to a LIFO system. I used to try to read them cover to cover. I have given up trying to read all of the articles. I just read what interests me (the most). I have also dropped subscriptions to many publications, like all of those from Hemmings. I still can't keep up with all of them. "Old Cars" is one that I do not plan on dropping. I wonder how many people have all of the "Old Cars issues (since the starting year of 1971).

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Folks from those that were at the Carlisle Auction the $42,000 price paid was far over the value of the car based on a close inspection of the car. No one could verify the milage as accurate, the rockers had been repainted and showed some bubles and the undercarriage was not as clean as you would think that it should be for a car with thasat low milage. These comments came from knowledageble Studebaker owners who went to attempt to purchase the car. In addition it was sold to a phone bidder who also had to pay the commission of 12% or so. If you look at Dave Kinny's Cars That matter Price Guide this car in #2 Condition (his definition) it is worth a maximun of $32-36K so was it a good buy? That'd a matter of each ones own opinion.

As for OCW coverage of Studebaker related items, I talked a year ago with Angelo Van Bogart and again this year in hershey and he said he ralized they needed to do a lot more on Studebakers and other independants. If you noted there was an article on the Lancater meet both before abd afterwards and I believe he is being true to his word. I personally think they are just getting started on coverage of our beloved cars.
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Hmm.... maybe I'll re-up[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

A few years ago I did an article for Old Cars...
                    Nice people to work with.
                    Great editorial policies...after all they bought my story.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

[/quote]

At last count, I was receiving 27 periodicals on a regular basis. I used to go with a FIFO system, then switched to a LIFO system. I used to try to read them cover to cover. I have given up trying to read all of the articles. I just read what interests me (the most). I have also dropped subscriptions to many publications, like all of those from Hemmings. I still can't keep up with all of them. "Old Cars" is one that I do not plan on dropping. I wonder how many people have all of the "Old Cars issues (since the starting year of 1971).

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      [/quote]
                      Gary-
                      For the record, I also have subscribed to OCW since issue #1. But a couple of years ago, I toted all the back issues to a recycling center. Same with Hemmings (subscriber since 1968). I had tried to sell them for 10 cents apiece at Carlisle, but got no takers.

Skip Lackie
                      Washington DC
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                      X