M-5 Vin #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-5 Vin #

Is this data plate suppose to tell me the vin number? Is the S/N suppose to be the same as the vin? Or what does this tell me? Thanks

Old cars do not have Vehicle Identification numbers, they have serial numbers. The VIN numbers include information including a serial number.

Comment

Quick answer is yes,the serial number is your VIN.Steve
      sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wolfie

Quick answer is yes,the serial number is your VIN.Steve
        Well thats intersting, because the title I have has a different "Vin" number on it than what is on this placard. Hmm... May be a bit difficult to register under these circumstances. Any ideas anyone?

This is also mounted on my firewall, does it mean anything to anyone? I noticed these numbers dont match either.... Should they?

Comment

M5 is a 1/2 ton pickup. 13 represents the wheelbase of 113". The serial number falls within the 1946 production range.
          On the firewall tag, C2 is the cab style. They were all C2 except for military style C9 with swing-out windshield. The long number is the body number. It has little relevance, but will usually be somewhat close to the serial number....or not!
          Does the 'VIN' number on the title happen to start with a 1M or IM?

Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Your serial number M5-13 17072 shows that you have a truck from late in the 1946 production run. The last '46 M5 was s/n M5-19052. Body numbers, as shown on your cowl tag, do not match exactly with serial numbers but were usually within one or two thousand of the serial number because some chassis were shipped without cab bodies.

The last M5, from February or March 1948 was M5-52682.

You can contact the Studebaker National Museum to buy a copy of the build record for your truck which will show the actual date of construction and may show the dealer to which it was shipped. See http://www.studebakermuseum.org, then click on Shop and Collectibles. You can order your build record from there.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

M5 is a 1/2 ton pickup. 13 represents the wheelbase of 113". The serial number falls within the 1946 production range.
              On the firewall tag, C2 is the cab style. They were all C2 except for military style C9 with swing-out windshield. The long number is the body number. It has little relevance, but will usually be somewhat close to the serial number....or not!
              Does the 'VIN' number on the title happen to start with a 1M or IM?

Dwain G.

Yes the title "vin" number starts with 1M, how did you know or what does that mean? Is there a way for me to verify my titles "vin" number matches the truck for registration purposes? I really appreciate all the help and info you guys have already given me. Im knew to this and love my studebaker truck. I cant wait to get it running and on the road. Thanks again

Comment

Many states in those years titled a car (or truck) with the stamped engine number. Not sure how that practice started, but it may have had something to do with the way the serial tags were attached on many vehicles (notice two easily removable screws on yours).
                On the driver's side of the engine block, at the top front corner there is a 1/2" X 2" smooth pad that will hopefully have a number that matches your title.
                Anytime you see what appears to be a capitol letter 'I' in a Studebaker serial number, it is really a numeral '1'.

Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Mine was titled using the engine number, I got two VIN verifications using engine and body numbers so I can register it here in California using the body number when the time comes.

Comment

I have a 1941 M5-13. The only serial number plate I have is the one on the door pillar. It has a 4 digit serial number on it would that be the same one that would be on the title. I have no frame or engine to check for any other numbers

Comment

The plate on the pillar would have the serial number that should be on the title. This plate was moved to the seat riser in later years. Yours is very early in M5 production.

Comment

Check your engine serial# to see if it matches the VIN on the title. Some states registered using the engine serial# back in the day. it should be legal as long as it matches.

Comment

Working...
                        X