need parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need parts

Where can I get a rearmain oil seal fora 37 dictator big six? all I can find is for later years.

I can't give you a specific answer you are looking for, but let me ask you this--is it a graphite-impregnated "rope" type of seal? These kind were used in various engines until the 60's, and cut to length upon installation. Maybe, just maybe, you can find a "rope" seal of the correct cross section that is intended for other applications, and make use of it.

Comment

I don't know about '37 seals either, but that graphite-impregnated sealing stock is available in many sizes from a good plumbing supply house. It's used for seals in MANY types of valves.

OK - I looked at my parts book for that year and the only "seals" listed for the crankshaft on your '37 (big six) are the two little wooden ones fill the grooves on the SIDES the main cap. Part# 187106, they list for $2.10 apiece from SASCO. No other seal is listed. As I recall, there was at least one postwar year that the Big 6 didn't have a rear main seal as well - just a slinger ridge incorporated into the crankshaft and a collection groove in the rear main cap. NO "seal" that actually rides the crankshaft.[:0]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

maybe thats why I can't find one !![:I] I need to say that I have posted for help here and on the AntiqueStudebaker site. Even though every one here said thay don't know much about pre-war years, I have gotten way more help here. I don't know alot about mechanical things so thanks for all the help. I would be lost and would have sold the car by now with out it. I have had it since 1972 and got it on the road 4 years ago just in time for my wedding.
        Took it to a "shop" to get restored. 10 years later it was not started !! Guess it takes time lol. Thanke again
        Frank

Comment

Stude V8 and 6 rear mains used to come with the two Brummer Seal halves and the two little wood "sticks". Later made Brummer seals had those "Sticks" cast onto one seal half and the whole thing was rubber instead of having the seperate wood parts.

Champion engines have had a rear main seal since the engine debuted in '39. Commanders and the late Stude straight 8 didn't.

I just looked in my postwar truck (M-series) and car (47 thru 50) books and there's a curious inconsistency that I've noted. In the truck book, the illustrations show a seal ( a single-piece rubber seal at that!) on the rear of the crank. This on BOTH the Champion and Commander 6s. BUT - the parts listing show that only the Smaller 6 uses this - there's no listing for the big 6 to use a seal. Someone in the art department goofed and this IS a known phenomenon!
          Now in the CAR book, there's seals listed for the Champion and Commander 6s, BUT.... the Big 6 doesn't get this seal until midway into the 1948 year. This means the 47s didn't have a seal on the crank - only the slinger I talked about earlier.
          My first encounter of this was some years back when I was building a Big 6 in a '46 M-16.

BTW, the AMC 196s had the rope-type seals for a rear main seal.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

when I get it apart I will let you know what I find. Thanks. one of the days I will get a picture of the coupe loaded on here.

Comment

Working...
            X