I shoulda bought this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shoulda bought this one

I guess I'm kicking myself for not going ahead and buying this Lark.

For one, I really like '61 Larks. Anyone see anything unusual about this car (other than the blue engine)?
    I emailed the seller a week or so after the auction and, since the bidding was even lower on his relist than the first time, I asked if he had sold the car yet. Unfortunately, he had. This is what he said about it:
    "Yes, I sold it last week. The person who bought it got a TRUE BLESSING!!!! That car was a cherry!"
    Anyone know if it went to a SDCer or Forum member?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Really a beautiful car Paul! It is actually a rare (for '61-'62) Regal Model! [] You certainly would have to get used to not getting anywhere very quickly though! You would sure miss your V-8's!

This car has four strikes against that ever happening, 170 OHV 6 Cyl, Automatic, Air Cond. and power Steering! [V]

Please tell me they didn't actually re-paint that poor car Turquoise GREEN! Not too bad a color, but NEVER with a beautiful BLUE Interior! [V]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Only thing i noticed unusual was the window shades, bit i'm not a 61 expert
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Well, just so you know, they did not come with Green Paint with Blue Interiors, two-tone paint and Blue engines! [:0]

Also very few 4 Door Sedans and 4 dr. Wagons were ordered with Regal Interiors with those awesome chrome silver trimmed Vinyl door panels, carpeting, drip rail mouldings, '61 Regal 4 Dr. only "C" pillar "Lark" emblem and a Grille surround Moulding.

The window shades are just an add-on Accessory that could be Factory or aftermarket.

If I am not mistaken, the last time we saw this car on ebay it was solid WHITE or Blue!

quote:Originally posted by clonelark

Only thing i noticed unusual was the window shades, bit i'm not a 61 expert
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Well, just so you know, they did not come with Green Paint with Blue Interiors, two-tone paint and Blue engines! [:0]
          Also very few 4 Door Sedans and 4 dr. Wagons were ordered with Regal Interiors with those awesome chrome silver trimmed Vinyl door panels, carpeting, drip rail mouldings, '61 Regal 4 Dr. only "C" pillar "Lark" emblem and a Grille surround Moulding.
          The window shades are just an add-on Accessory that could be Factory or aftermarket.
          If I am not mistaken, the last time we saw this car on ebay it was solid WHITE or Blue!
          How many '61 six-cylinder Larks were equipped with automatic AND power steering AND FACTORY AIR and how many have survived? The '61 factory air is extremely rare even on V-8s (was a one-year a/c set-up with outside air intake). Notice the shroud on the fan. Other things that impressed me were the apparently 100% original interior, very nice even considering the parted seams in the upholstery, original trunk mat and tire cover- both pretty much unstained, excellent bumpers, at least one near perfect tail light lens. As nicely decked out as it was it had a radio delete. The fact that the a/c was working is unusual too. The car must have really been babied over its life.
          I just thought the greenish tint to the paint was color distortion, but now I don't know. There wasn't any angle where you could see both the door jamb and the exterior.
          When it was on ebay before it was the same two-tone.
          Even having owned a '61 six I can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking the engine should have a silver block and a red valve cover.

Museum R-4 engine
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

There WAS a Blue & White '61 lark VI 4 Dr. that closed Oct. 17, for $3000.00 reserve NOT met and Oct. 24, for $3450.00 Reserve NOT met.
            It was a Standand Trans. and had the White around the Grille (no Moulding) and was ACTUALLY BLUE! It was in Las Vegas, NV only 48,000 mi.
            by: anti_fluff_prod( 7 ) here's the ebay ad:

You probably could still buy it, maybe with an offer around $25-2800! This one:

Here's the GREEN Auto W/Air, in Groveland, FL looks much better W/O the White around the Grille!:

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Groveland FL car is missing one more thing: a heater! Note the telltale black hose running fore and aft along the block. Isaac sent me some detail photos of the firewall, and the hoses were just cut off and painted the exterior color (it sure looks blue in the pictures). The trunk looked great, and if you don't need a heater, it was a great buy. Unfortunately,my wife did not think so....... bob.c

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob.c

The Groveland FL car is missing one more thing: a heater! Note the telltale black hose running fore and aft along the block. Isaac sent me some detail photos of the firewall, and the hoses were just cut off and painted the exterior color (it sure looks blue in the pictures). The trunk looked great, and if you don't need a heater, it was a great buy. Unfortunately,my wife did not think so....... bob.c
                I missed that yet I was thinking- check for a heater. A lot of Florida cars in those days didn't have heaters.

Museum R-4 engine

Comment

We've got a '63 Lark 4 door in our junkyard, 6 cylinder 3 speed, with factory AC and no heater. Must be a Florida car too.

Matthew Burnette
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                  X