Warren Zevon's Studebaker song by his son Jordan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Zevon's Studebaker song by his son Jordan

I hadn't heard this yet. If this has already been posted, I apologize, I must have missed it. The song was put out after Warren's recent death by his son. Not a positive one to play in our cars for inspiration, but I like it. Guess it doesn't make for a good song to have a healthy R3 and a reliable Lark.

The challenge continues with Jordan Zevon's performance of "Studebaker."I do not own the music of Warren Zevon. The album ENJOY EVERY SANDWICH was produced ...

Yeah, that's disappointing that he didn't have his facts about the relibiality of Studebakers relative to other makes at that time (what ARE the facts, anyway - anyone know?) But I suppose he was simply using artistic license because the name "Studebaker" sounds good in lyrics, and obviously connotes an older car that the narrator of the song was driving.

STILL, it doesn't help the image of our favorite marque!

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
    Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Great song. Thanks for posting the link.

John and Tracy Smith
      Queen Creek Arizona

Comment

Reminds me of a recent post about a woman only remembering that very lack of reliabilty in her youth and her father always fixing, trying to get it started, or when it was going to break down. I've driven thousands of miles without trouble and also been stranded. I'll have to work on that thousands of miles song.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DilloCrafter

"Yeah, that's disappointing that he didn't have his facts about the relibiality of Studebakers relative to other makes at that time (what ARE the facts, anyway - anyone know? But I suppose he was simply using artistic license because the name "Studebaker" sounds good in lyrics, and obviously connotes an older car that the narrator of the song was driving."

Got it. I do wish we knew which Stude that Warren had driven. I will bet it's from a real experience. This was written by Warren but never recorded, or at least never put to a cd album until Jordan used it. I still like the music and will check out the full cd.

Comment

I posted this before , Warren did record this song, just with a piano and it's kind of just cut off at the end. It is negative about Studebakers. After he passed away his son Jordan found some tapes in a storage locker and had them restored. I'm sure there's a lot more songs that hopefully will be released someday.

"There's a cd out last year called WARREN ZEVON - PRELUDES: RARE AND UNRELEASED
            It has Warren's version of Studebaker on it, I've yet to pick it up but will get it sooner or later, waiting for it to get cheaper, caso thing I guess."

Comment

John, thanks for the correct info. I listened to another youtube video that said it hadn't been recorded and released, but was found by Jordan. Do you know if he actually had a Studebaker?

Comment

I listened to the song and I thought that it was great. Hey so the car broke down. Mabel and I bond by the side of the road all the time. Lately she takes me somewhere and brings me back. But sometimes she just takes her time about just when she returns me to where I want to go.LOL

Mabel 1949 Champion
                1957 Silverhawk
                1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                1955 President State
                1957 Golden Hawk
                Fresno,Ca
                Mabel 1949 Champion
                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                The Prez 1955 President State
                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                Fresno,Ca

Comment

Hey Anne, he even mentions Fresno! You could have helped him keep it running and thwarted the whole song.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

John, thanks for the correct info. I listened to another youtube video that said it hadn't been recorded and released, but was found by Jordan. Do you know if he actually had a Studebaker?
                    I don't know, I don't know if his son Jordan would even know, I read that he remembered hearing this song as a child, I think the original demo was recorded before '76. He has a myspace page. I'm not registered there, maybe someone else can ask.
                    I found another video on youtube, Jordan's version of Studebaker was used on a show called October Road, I never heard of it.
                    They have a red '50 Stude Starlight Coupe in it and the guy that drives it has a fozzie bear head keychain for it. Kind of fitting because of the Muppet Movie. Warning! It's PG-13 so I don't know if I should point it out but if you want to see it...
                    Jordan Zevons's youtube channel

Comment

When i was a kid in the 50's, the disparaging nickname was "steadybreaker". Of course the other makes had their own not so respectful nicknames.

MikeV
                      Pompano Beach, FL
                      83 Avanti 377I

Comment

I do have a myspace, and checked out his page, there is a great version of this song on the site, added it to my own page....

I did live in Monterey, CA. for over 2 years.... and own a stude, couldn't help myself!!!!!!

Love the "down and out" songs like 'Dynamite Walls' by Hayden so I had to add it.... (amongst the previously afore mentioned reasons...)

I have had good resposes to posting the song so far, and although my Stude is not actually road ready or any where near road legal yet... I do expect to have my share of his pain.. (I am rewiring and rebuilding her on my own....) so I am convinced she will die a few deaths on the road before I get her squared away.....

Comment

Doesn't have to happen like that. Get it squared away first and think positive!

Comment

Working...
                          X