PDA

View Full Version : Collectible Automobile Hi-Po Studebakers issue

BobPalma
10-26-2008, 05:44 PM
:) I've got a response to my request for early copies of the February 2009 issue of Collectible Automobile, in which my article on High-Performance Studebakers of the 1950s and 1960s will appear. Here is the entire text of the e-mail received yesterday from CA Aquisitions Editor Lynne Richman, with whom I have been working:

Dear Bob,

The February, 2009 issue of Collectible Automobile that includes your Studebaker article is due back from the printer the second week in November. Distribution of extra copies is handled through our office in Lincolnwood. If you wish, you may send us a check or credit card number for 25 copies, which will cost $4.97 each ($3.97 plus $1.00 for shipping per copy). As soon as we receive our shipment, we will send your copies out to you.

Thanks again for your creative contribution to Collectible Automobile.

Regards, LR

So, I placed a current issue of Collectible Automobile in a large envelope with a stiffener and took it to the Post Office yesterday to see how much they would cost to mail.

Good News and Bad News: Good is that the rate is virtually the same to any United States or Canadian address (just under $5), bad is that magazines no longer qualify for the Bound & Printed Matter rate that used to be fairly cheap, like Book Rate.

Priority First-Class mail (roughly 2-day delivery) is $4.80, whereas Parcel Post is $4.55, which would take 5-7 days. Obviously, it makes sense to send them out Priority Mail, the difference is so little.

So here's the deal: I am going to order 25 copies and make the first 22 of them available to Forum members (or anyone else that wants one!) for $11 each, postpaid via Priority Mail. (By the time I make a trip or two to the Post Office, I'll "make" less than a dollar apiece on these things for my time, so this is hardly a money-making proposition.)

The cover price will be $7.95 , so you can wait if you'd like and find one when they are available at places like Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc, and maybe get a Rewards Club discount if you have such a thing...although, in most locales, Sales Tax would be added.

If you'd like me to send you an early one, please send a check made out to Bob Palma for $11 to my Brownsburg address in any Turning Wheels Co-Operator heading. I will not cash or deposit your check or money order until your copy of the magazine [u]has been</u> mailed. (That way, if anything goes wrong, I won't have to figure out to whom I owe money.)

October 27th EDIT: Please see the October 29th ordering deadline details posted later.

If you'd like the article autographed (some people said they did), say so and I'll autograph the first page of the article. Otherwise, your copy will arrive in pistine condition, per Dick Steinkamp.

Price is the same to Canada, but please remit in U.S. funds. Thanks.

I want to emphasize the 2,500-word limit I was assigned for this article, although my final count was a tolerable 2,759, IIRC. Long-time Studebaker enthusiasts and/or forum members will find little new material in it, but it promises to be colorful and, I hope, a good synopsis of what Studebaker did to get and stay in the high-performance game from 1955-1964. It is very flattering to the Studebaker V-8 engine...which, as you know, I greatly admire!

Cheers.:DBob Palma

ROADRACELARK
10-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Bob,

My check's in the mail.:D Can't wait to see/read the article. Thanks for offering these.

Dan Miller
Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
Road Racers turn left AND right.

HAWK64
10-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Bob,
Have put $20 U.S funds in the mail to your Brownsburg address to cover extra postage. As previously discussed, would like your autograph at the front of the article. Thanks for the good communication & nice catching up with you once again at Lancaster, if only briefly.
Regards,Jim.

http://www.studebakercarclub.net/jim.jpg
"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
MELBOURNE.

Dick Steinkamp
10-26-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm in.

Bob's autograph is worth far more than the diff between the news stand price and the pistine mailed EARLY copy. [^]

Thanks for offering them to us, Bob [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

Flashback
10-26-2008, 07:44 PM
I want mine autographed, sending monry order in the A.M.
Thanks for this offer BOB. Tex

Tex E. Grier
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/Studebaker255.jpg

bams50
10-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Count me in, Bob! Auto graphed, of course![^] M.O. tomorrow.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Dick Clemens
10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks Bob will put check in the mail in the morning. I want you to sign it also.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

StudeDave57
10-26-2008, 10:41 PM
This is a deal I can't pass up.
Count me in, PLEASE!!!
Thanks Bob!!!

StudeDave '57 [8D]

fpstude
10-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Bob, this is a great offer. The check will start its journey to Brownsburg tomorrow for a signed copy.

Perry
'23 Special Six,
'50 Business Champ,
'50 Starlight Champ,
'60 Lark droptop,
'63 GT R1

PekkaP
10-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Bob, you will have another long distance envelope coming ... will include proper funding... Can't wait to receive the article.
Many thanks.[:p]

Pekka

http://hotrods.pp.fi/Stude%20at%20Hillclimb%20Dodads%202006.jpg 1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible

BobPalma
10-27-2008, 06:18 AM
:) As Charlie Brown would say, "Good Grief!" As of 12 hours after posting this, there have been 217 reads and 18 of the 22 copies I planned to get have been requested, between posts here and privately-sent e-mails. (And that doesn't include folks who may have seen the post and just sent in the money without saying anything.) Thanks for the vote of confidence, all.

Obviously, I'll need a lot more than 22 extra copies for this project.

I'm going to wait out this week (October 27-November 1) before sending my bulk order and payment to Collectible Automobile. I don't want to order too early or the order might get lost because the copies haven't arrived to ship, per Lynne's e-mail in my original post, and this will give me time to judge the approximate number of copies to order, based on posts here, personal e-mails, and checks received from non-posters. I'll order as many as needed, plus a few extras, to fill all the orders.

Again, as I said, no checks or money orders will be deposited or cashed until the copies have been mailed. Hopefully, that will be by Thanksgiving Day so you all will have something to read while stuffed. Of course, that depends entirely on when I get the shipment from CA. I'll post that here when I have copies in hand to begin mailing. Since they'll be mailed 2-day Priority Mail, they should arrive promptly.

Cheers...and, again, thanks for the vote of confidence. :DBP

ChampTrucking
10-27-2008, 06:34 AM
I WANT ONE BOB!!!! ITS IN THE MAIL!!

3rdGenStude
10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
quote:Obviously, I'll need a lot more than 22 extra copies for this project.

Count me in. I'll get the check in the mail.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you at Lancaster. I had greetings to you from Kincaid.

Hey, I picked up a copy of the "Sunday Service" poster. What's the history on that again? Was that an ELS service?

Paul

In memory of Boris, the 1950 Land Cruiser project,
. . . he became a down payment for. . .
Natasha, the 1955 Speedster project
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/3rdGenStude/Avatars/55sidethumb-1.jpghttp://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/3rdGenStude/Avatars/55frontthumb-1.jpg

BobPalma
10-27-2008, 10:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by 3rdGenStude
Count me in. I'll get the check in the mail.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you at Lancaster. I had greetings to you from Kincaid.

Hey, I picked up a copy of the "Sunday Service" poster. What's the history on that again? Was that an ELS service?

Paul

:) Paul: Nope; not ELS. That was St. John's Lutheran, I think, a WELS congregation. My history of Sunday Service is buried in our old computer down here and we haven't used it for so many years I've forgotten the passwords to get it up and running!

(Readers: The "Kincaid" to whom Paul refers is Pastor J. Kincaid Smith, now in Minnesota, who married Cari and I in 1976, here in Brownsburg IN, when he was our Pastor. :DBP)

ddub
10-27-2008, 12:14 PM
One more sold, autographed of course. Check is in the mail.

Don Wilson
53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
Centralia, WA

lstude
10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Since my business is in the tank, and I already subscribe to Collectible Automobile, I will just wait 'till I get my issue.

I'm used to waiting for TW anyway, plus I already have Bob's autograph! ;):D

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/LiftsignatureBobPalma.jpg

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/LHSJR/MyStudebakernobackgroundsm.jpg

JBOYLE
10-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Bob
Any idea when it will hit the news stands..or in my case, Borders?

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

bams50
10-27-2008, 04:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

:) As Charlie Brown would say, "Good Grief!" As of 12 hours after posting this, there have been 217 reads and 18 of the 22 copies I planned to get have been requested, between posts here and privately-sent e-mails.

You can't be surprised at that? You're one of the Titans of our Studebaker world! And don't bother denying it. Don't mean to embarrass you, just stating the obvious[8D]

This is a good deal for me; I don't have to lug my copy to the next meet hoping to cross paths with you for an autograph, knowing that I'll likely tear, crush, wrinkle, or lose it somewhere in the process[:I]

And bonus, I don't have to get home from the mall and say, "D@*#$, I forgot to hit the book store again!"[:o)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

BobPalma
10-27-2008, 05:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Bob
Any idea when it will hit the news stands..or in my case, Borders?

:) John: 'Best guess for February 2009 cover date arrival at Borders would be toward the end of the second week in December.

I say that because, since I contracted with them for the February 2009 issue, I started paying attention to when the next issue arrived at our local Barnes & Noble. The December 2008 issue arrived around the middle of October, although I already had my December issue because I am a subscriber.

My December subscription copy arrived around October 5th.

My idea for getting these extra copies and making them available was not so much for an early arrival, but more for the many forum members who may live some distance from a larger newsstand or bookstore and would appreciate not having to make the trip. Too, my experience is that most places don't get more than maybe five "speculation" copies on the magazine rack, so there's also a chance they'd be sold out when a forum member finally got there. :DBP

BobPalma
10-27-2008, 08:58 PM
:) Considering this thread now has over 400 reads, I am concerned that there may be a ton of orders coming in! That's fine and I'll accommodate everyone BUT:

To guarantee a copy, I ask that your order and payment be postmarked on or before Wednesday, October 29th.

Anything postmarked by the 29th will probably arrive on or before Saturday, November 1st. I will tally the orders received after the mail arrives Saturday, November 1, and order accordingly. My order and payment to Collectible Automobile will leave the Brownsburg Post Office with the Saturday afternoon, November 1st 3:00 pm pickup.

Of course I'll order a few extras, so checks/money orders postmarked after October 29th may receive copies, but are not guaranteed. (For example, if I order ten extra copies and get 12 checks postmarked after October 29th, the last two checks will be returned.)

Thanks for your understanding, folks. :DBP

Dave Bates
10-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Seant check out this morning.Thanks for your extra effort. Dave

BobPalma
11-01-2008, 01:59 PM
:) Troops: The following order and check have been mailed.

November 1, 2008
309 S. Jefferson St.
Brownsburg IN 46112-1308

Collectible Automobile
Advance Copy Bulk Order Dept.
7373 North Cicero Ave.
Lincolnwood IL 60712-1613

Dear Sirs;

Enclosed please find Check #6589 for $198.80 in payment for forty (40) advance copies of the February 2009 Collectible Automobile as soon as they are received in Lincolnwood from the printer, per the attached e-mail from CA Acquisitions Editor Lynne Richman. Mr. Richman specified the price of $4.97 each, including shipping.

As you see from my correspondence with Mr. Richman, I have an article on High-Performance Studebakers being published in that issue and want the extra copies for friends, family, and Studebaker associates.

The contract for my writing this article specifies that I am to receive three (3) copies of the issue in which the article appears, so if you want to include them in this shipment, for a total of 43 copies shipped, that is fine with me, but not necessary.

Mr. Richman said you could mail these just as soon as your shipment arrives from the printer, so I would greatly appreciate having them just as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Bob Palma
Technical Editor
Turning Wheels

Now, a little housekeeping if you guys don't mind. 55Prez, Champ Trucking, and Paul Revell: I ordered copies to accommodate your request here on the forum but have not yet received payment. Please let me know (post here or e-mail) if you've sent payment or have changed your mind and don't want one. (It's OK if you have; there are others locally or otherwise who will want one; "no problem.") Paul: I know your check is coming from Canada; that's understandable as long as it has been mailed.

Everyone else: Payments have been received and are being held until the magazines are in the mail to you. Thanks. (;)To the fellow in Nishapur, Iran: I will not be able to send you a magazine and $1,999,989 change for your $2,000,000 cashier's check. I am holding same until until $11 arrives in U.S. funds.[:0]) :D BP

bams50
11-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Groovy, Bob![8D]

And as an added bonus, maybe the magazine folks will see your order and think, "Wow, those Stude folks are reeealy loyal to their cars! Maybe we'll have to ask Mr. Palma to become a semi-regular in our magazine"....

It could happen![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Dick Steinkamp
11-01-2008, 06:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50
Maybe we'll have to ask Mr. Palma to become a semi-regular in our magazine"....

...or a REGULAR regular [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/Stude-a-mino%20old%20pics/oldpics6asmall.jpg

bams50
11-01-2008, 08:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by bams50
Maybe we'll have to ask Mr. Palma to become a semi-regular in our magazine"....

...or a REGULAR regular

First things first;)

Parish, central NY 13131