PDA

View Full Version : More on the last South Bend Studebaker 64V 20202

Studebaker Wheel
10-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I note a rather extended discussion in another thread (entitled: "National Museum Cars") regarding the last South Bend regular production car, the Daytona hardtop serial #64V 20202. This post will perhaps provide a little additional information on the car, the dealer that it was originally intended for and the exact specifications on the car via a copy of the original price sticker.

The article on Boyer Brothers dealership in Moselem Springs, PA is taken from The Morning Call a newspaper published in Berks County, PA, the location of the dealership. I think you will find it of interest. While the article appeared in 2005 I am not certain of the exact date.

The window price sticker displayed below is one I created from the original that was in the glove box. The original had the entire upper right 1/3 ripped off plus much of the right side and bottom. There was enough information however to recreate it. The sticker now displayed with the car is one of the reproductions that I made from the original. Copies of the reproduction are available from the museum gift shop.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/64laststudebakercolor1.jpg?t=1224974032
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/64laststudebaker2.jpg?t=1224974084

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/64wpslastcarcopy2.jpg?t=1224974120

Richard Quinn
editor: Antique Studebaker Review

avantilover
10-25-2008, 05:49 PM
The article is dated mid July as it states "5 weeks after his adventure" in any case it's fascinating and I thought a bit mean spirited by the museum to not let him sit behind the wheel, the upholstery couldn't have been that bad if it had never been driven.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
Lockleys South Australia

bams50
10-25-2008, 06:18 PM
From what I hear, the seats almost came from the factory cracked... it just would have made it more authentic[:o)] Pretty cool story, though.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

r1lark
10-25-2008, 07:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

From what I hear, the seats almost came from the factory cracked... it just would have made it more authentic[:o)] Pretty cool story, though.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

That was the '62 seat vinyl, Bob. The heat-pressed seams cracked quickly. The '64 vinyl was actually very good - long wearing and durable.

Paul
Winston-Salem, NC
Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

bams50
10-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks, Paul. I was under the impression that ALL the last few years' vinyl seats were problematic.

Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

BobPalma
10-25-2008, 08:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Thanks, Paul. I was under the impression that ALL the last few years' vinyl seats were problematic.

Robert (Bob) Andrews

:) What Paul said, Bob. 1962 only vinyl was downright horrible. If a dealer got stuck with a bucket-seat 1962 Daytona or Hawk over the cold winter months, even though it was new in stock, the vinyl would probably be starting to crack at the heat-stitched seams 'come spring.

They learned their lesson, though; 1963 and 1964 vinyl was excellent. The seat inserts in my 1964 Daytona hardtop are original and very nice to this day even though it is "just a car" otherwise. Even though the original vinyl in the 1964 Daytona convertible I bought from Leonard Shepherd a year ago had been exposed to the sun as a convertible, the vinyl is still supple and uncracked. :DBP

DEEPNHOCK
10-25-2008, 09:03 PM
What a great story.
Well written, too.
Thanks for sharing it.
Jeff[8D]

StudeRich
10-26-2008, 01:38 AM
I am curious to know why Mr. Bob Boyer referred to the Daytona as "his car"! Just because he did actually order it? Wouldn't a Dealer be ordering it for a customer? He never mentioned ordering it for himself, if he did that would be an interesting story, but I don't think so, as I would guess the "replacement car" was sold and delivered.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bridgegaurd
10-26-2008, 04:39 AM
What a great story, too bad he didn't get to sit in his car. But at least someone helped him get the pleasure of knowing about it andgetting to see it. A last Stude and one of the last dealers reunited, too bad it wasn't delivered to them. Pure history for him and his brother on memory lane ya gotta love a good stude story.

More please

barnlark
10-26-2008, 08:08 AM
[quote]Originally posted by StudeRich

"I am curious to know why Mr. Bob Boyer referred to the Daytona as "his car"! Just because he did actually order it? Wouldn't a Dealer be ordering it for a customer? He never mentioned ordering it for himself, if he did that would be an interesting story, but I don't think so, as I would guess the "replacement car" was sold and delivered."

I agree. He didn't order it as the last car...just a 'red '64 R1; which he got..for someone else. That's not it. Do we know who the original owner was whom really can say it should have been his car? I guess Bob feels both are "his" because the sticker still had the original dealer destination on it, but really shouldn't have. It must have been a secret for some time, because if I were the buyer and knew the value of the last one off the line I would have thrown a stink to get the correct one. As a dealer he could have fought for that for the guy.
He sounded so excited that I wish Bob got to sit in it somehow, though, even if he thinks it was a two for one deal and "realized I couldn't take it home." ;) His car is actually in Australia, technically. Now that's a long train ride! Still wonder who gave the writer the incorrect "Super Lark" info about it.

56H-Y6
10-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi

Great story, I too think he should have been allowed to set behind the wheel. After all, others have when the car was moved, I doubt if he would have caused any damage.

Interesting coincidence the last U.S. production Studebaker should be assigned to be sold in the region where Studebaker history begins.

Also interesting is Boyer Brothers address: Fleetwood, PA. That was the hometown of Fleetwood Metal Body Company, that became part of GM in 1926, and played such a big role Cadillac's history. The last Cadillacs with the Fleetwood name were 1996 models.

Steve

tomnoller
10-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Thank you for posting the story, Richard.
Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Western Washington, USA

studeclunker
10-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree with you Steve. As to the Barnlark's comment, well, a writer is allowed a bit of... license with the facts. I really doubt if the fellow wanted to take the car home. As to it being "his" car. It's right there on paper in red white blue and black. He is Mr. Boyer, and the car was assigned to his dealership. So, it is his car. Not that such a thing denotes ownership.;) Still, Bob seemed to be delighted to find out he and his dealership will be part of Studebaker history as long as the Museum exists. And that's a good thing.:D

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

barnlark
10-26-2008, 03:32 PM
"well, a writer is allowed a bit of... license with the facts."

There's a lot of that going around. :D[:o)] Creative license, maybe, facts I have a problem with.
Ron, I just agreed with another post. I do not want to diminish any of Bob's limelight at all, but it's obvious what is fun and fact in that article. I'm glad he still has fond memories.
It's great to see anything about Studebakers in print, but there often seems to be something a little off with the facts each time. All I meant was the car that was "assigned" as you say, was the other Daytona now in Australia. This one was assigned to Studebaker even if the window sticker says otherwise. His dealership is on it from the original order, true, but I've heard pulling and swapping cars on the line happened often. This one just happened to be historic. There's a dealership on my window sticker and it's not who eventually got my car and sold it.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1253_2.jpg

studegary
10-28-2008, 12:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

"well, a writer is allowed a bit of... license with the facts."

There's a lot of that going around. :D[:o)] Creative license, maybe, facts I have a problem with.
Ron, I just agreed with another post. I do not want to diminish any of Bob's limelight at all, but it's obvious what is fun and fact in that article. I'm glad he still has fond memories.
It's great to see anything about Studebakers in print, but there often seems to be something a little off with the facts each time. All I meant was the car that was "assigned" as you say, was the other Daytona now in Australia. This one was assigned to Studebaker even if the window sticker says otherwise. His dealership is on it from the original order, true, but I've heard pulling and swapping cars on the line happened often. This one just happened to be historic. There's a dealership on my window sticker and it's not who eventually got my car and sold it.

The dealership difference on your window sticker probably doesn't mean a change by Studebaker. It probably means a dealer to dealer swap/sale, which is common to this day.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

studegary
10-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Too bad that Studebaker didn't put the person's name that ordered a new car on the window sticker.
For example, the window sticker that came from Chrysler on our PT Cruiser states: "This vehicle was built especially for GARY J. LINDSTROM". I have seen many others and have others, but this one happened to be in this room, next to me. BTW, it is a Limited Editon model with extrs that brought the 2001 model base price from $15,450 to $22,000.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

55s
10-28-2008, 07:26 PM
I still have my dad`s red 1963 GT that really was built for him at the Hamilton factory. The `Built Expressly For` plaque is still on the glove compartment door. He received delivery of it in November 1962, and I still have the original bill of sale. It was a star in the Canadian International Autoshow in 2006, along with three other exceptional cars - a 1928 Erskine, a 1959 Lark, and an Avanti. (The 2006 Studebaker exhibit was the exhibit that got us in the door for the 2007 CIAS.)

He traded in a nice red 1961 Hawk, that some new owner totalled one week later.

Paul