Studebaker wiki???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker wiki???

Although my NG posts receive little, to no responses, I thought I would pose a question to the group. Does anyone think that a Wiki about Studebaker cars would have any interest? What I was thinking about was for instance, a Wiki about my interest- Sky Hawks. It would include the usual stuff like it is a one year car of low production, etc. But then it would include the really detailed stuff that may interest someone perhaps doing a restoration or trying to get ready for judging. i.e., a resource to find out what type of philips screw was used to attach the taillights to the housings- filister type if I remember correctly. Also did anyone know that some (all?) Los Angeles built SH came from the factory with '55 taillight lenses? Mine did and for what reason, who knows, possibly the '56 supplier was late to ship the correct ones and '55 were leftover and would fit. Or what type of carpet weave was used in '56 Hawks- Daytona. Another example is that great discussion and chart this past week on another topic based on Avanti carpet colors- that would be a great addition to an interior section on an Avanti Wiki. As some may know Wiki's can be added to and edited by anyone who is "in the know". They could also include pics like what the weave looks like for year specific trunk mats (not truck mats). There could be sections that list parts that would be available for other models and years. Links to other web sites and be added too. Heck, someone could do a section based on the year specific booklets for differing model years. I realize that lots of this info has been published before in Turning Wheels, but finding past editions may not be easy or readily available. In my opinion, maybe the SDC could be the sponsor of such a project. I also realize this would be a HUGE undertaking, but there are enough "experts" (JP, BP, 8, Studeman, etc) here that post that It could be doable. Again, this is just a thought.

Don C.

I agree, Don- I didn't even know if the NG is still going. Here, the SDC Forum, is the place to be!

As for your question, I'm not sure what you're asking. Obviously there would be interest. Anytime someone mentions Stude reading on Wiki or anywhere else on this Forum, most of us go and check it out ASAP; so there's the interest. As for how much, there's no way to tell. I think anything written and available on the 'net is good publicity; somebody that never heard of Studes before might stumble across some info and have that spark ignited[^] Don't forget, we have many people who have taken the time to share their knowledge and experience on personal web pages, tech articles, etc. Every one I've ever heard of, I have bookmarked[^]

It would seem to me that entries on Wiki are mostly driven by the writer's passion for his given subject- without much concern given for how well- or how much- it is received. I can pledge that if you write up an entry and let us know, I'll sure be interested![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

What is NG?

I googled Wiki and came up with only Wikipedia. Is that what you mean by wiki? Personally, I don't use wikipedia for the reason that I "heard" that the entries are 'editable' by anyone. To me, that means the potential for a lot of mis-information, and I don't want to learn wrong things.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

When I said wiki I didn't mean wikipedia. My understanding is a wiki is a generic, accessible site that can be edited and a part of the SDC forum. For instance, there are medicine wiki or departmental wiki's created by schools or universities. Although I am not that Davy, I believe it is a web based program that you buy or perhaps is free.

Comment

Ok on wiki. What is NG?

Comment

oops! The above should say savvy, not Davy.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

What is NG? ...
              NG refers to news group. In this case, alt.autos.studebaker. It used to be THE Studebaker talk area, but has faded almost into disuse.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
              1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Bob, "NG" is short for "news group", as in the Usenet alt.autos.studebaker group.

Regarding the "wiki is editable by anyone" problem - yes, but that's really the beauty of the wiki format. ANYone can add unique information they have. Entries are subject to verification by the wiki's admin, and contributors are required to cite specific sources for information. This keeps the misinformation to a minimum.

I love the idea!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

NG = news group

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Ok on wiki. What is NG?

Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I don't quite get what you mean Don...
                    Did you look at Wikipedia?

I added a lot of info to the J5 Coupe Express section a few years ago, but rarely, if ever look there.
                    Your post prompted me to re-visit the section.
                    Lot's of Stude stuff there.
                    Since Wikipedia is author driven, I'd say have at it.
                    Anything you (or anyone else) adds would be a plus.
                    Only negative thing I can think of is one of dilution.
                    Since website holders of collected information tend to be possessive of their hard work (and rightfully so), the proliferation of repositories of info can be quite confusing.
                    As the Internet expands and becomes more sophisticated, places like alt.autos.studebaker (newsgroup/NG) will become obsolete and deserted.
                    I think you have a point about Wikipedia though, as pretty much anybody can add to the knowledge base.
                    That is a good thing.
                    But... (there's always a but, huh?)...
                    With a small software change/addition...
                    Would not the same thing be possible here, on the SDC forum website?
                    Would you be better served here, or on Wikipedia?
                    I do not have that answer, but will toss out that question.
                    Good thought provoking thread of Studebaker interest!
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Radsman

Although my NG posts receive little, to no responses, I thought I would pose a question to the group. <snip>
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'd say have at it if you want to go for it. As far as the internet there's always room for another technical repository, the more detailed the better [^]. To make an analogy on the benefits of a Wiki; I picked up for free, a panhard setup from an unknown make, but it had a number. It's a two piece setup with one bar that's sprung. The other piece is a simple bar with a number. I would look up on the internet and would need to wade through pages of advertisements, forum threads, off the cuff text, and spam, before making a loose conclusion as to what the part might be. With this idea of Wiki, I would only need to run to a single site. I would also be able(if possible), to get a diagram as to how the part fit, what the function was, etc.
                      The only drawback is since it's a Wiki, and users have access, it may or may not be completely accurate as anyone can edit the page. Also, be aware of too many ongoing changes on the Wiki. There was a couple pages on Wikipedia(hot button issues) that got so many changes, the people at the top walked in there and locked the page. As as being served, well, if I need something somewhat specific on a Studebaker and I need some accuracy to the information I come here, of which I could receive various different answers of varying degrees. If I need something like say, looking up what in general a Studebaker(or a model) is, I go to Wikipedia. Usually I go to Wikipedia if I need a quick, on the fly definition. But that shouldn't dissuade having an information repository on the Web, like an online library, as I explained with the panhard bar.

BTW - I from what I gathered I think they came from the back of a Peugeout suspension, lol [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                      [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The Wiki site on Hotrodders.com is pretty usefull. Lately it has picked up several entrys that should be in the forum (questions, not info) but it is great to have detailed tech info in one place, and not spread out thru the entire forum. As for the "misinformation", This board is much more professional, and responsible, than any other I have seen. I have no doubt errors would be refuted rather quickly, and differences of opinion would be presented in a polite manner.
                        As far as value to the members - priceless. This forum has a wealth of information that is staggering. Just random facts us Newbies don't know, 53/54 c/k tail light housings are interchangeable, but not the lenses. Certain cars had Saginaw boxes, that are better than the Ross (see I've already forgotten the details), Which year/models had the bigger front brakes?
                        Year/model the hawk went to 11 gauge frame? Year/model the rear spings setup changed to asymetrical. Interchangeable heavier sway bar (Buick?). Tapered vs. flanged axels. V8 vs 6cyl front spring rates. The knowledge here is incredible, but not always easy to gleen. And I hate to think of the loss is we lose some members.
                        This is a great idea.

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
                        "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

Comment

Well something I've noticed but havent mentioned it. Is that wikipedia has no entry for the 49-53 C-cabs (none that I've found) Seems the 'history of Studebaker' isn't complete without the most popular truck being mentioned, its designer and production numbers and comparable truck designs forsale by other MAKES at the time.(subject to opinion by some about being the most popular)

ChopStu
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Well, there you go!
                            That's your challenge.... Put some Ccab history up there!
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

Well something I've noticed but havent mentioned it. Is that wikipedia has no entry for the 49-53 C-cabs (none that I've found) Seems the 'history of Studebaker' isn't complete without the most popular truck being mentioned, its designer and production numbers and comparable truck designs forsale by other MAKES at the time.(subject to opinion by some about being the most popular)
                            ChopStu
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Well, there you go!
                              That's your challenge.... Put some Ccab history up there!
                              Jeff[8D]
                              I differ to those much wiser and knowledgable. My entry would be like swiss cheese, waiting for the missing parts to be filled in.

ChopStu
                              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X