R4 Avanti's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4 Avanti's

Were an Avanti's made with a R4 Engine? One for sale in Perth that a club member may buy for around $A45,000.

Perhaps it was modified. I know no more than that and don't have the number.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

I think I know the car your talking about John. From what ive heard, I think the dealership put the R4 engine in that car. So it didnt leave the factory like that, but it did leave the dealership with it.

Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    Michael Pink
    Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Coupe
    1961 Lark Cruiser
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Were an Avanti's made with a R4 Engine? One for sale in Perth that a club member may buy for around $A45,000.

Perhaps it was modified. I know no more than that and don't have the number.

John Clements
      Lockleys South Australia
      According to an article about the nine production R3 Avantis by George Krem published in the April 1978 Turning Wheels: "No Avantis were built on the assembly line with the R4 engine, although it was advertised in factory literature."

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

This vehicle was originally built at South Bend in R1 configuration with a final assy date of 27th Dec 1962. The genuine R4 engine was fitted shortly after & the car had a colourful history before it arrived in Australia in 1974 where it was converted to RHC.I purchased the car in May 1976 & enjoyed it till late 1979 when I sold it to the current owner in Perth. He in turn has put further restorative work into it to make it the fine Avanti it is today.

"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER"
        MELBOURNE.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Pictures, anyone?

Comment

Yeah [^][^] R4 from the dealer is good enough for me! Let's see it. I know the weather is perfect for pictures since 1974 sometime.

Comment

Bob Patton had one, built and installed at Paxton in 66. That is how I met him. Then later the engine was removed at Herbert Meaks place and a 455 Olds installed. Pics were put in Hot Rod Magazine Complete Engine Swaping Mag. issue no's 1 and 2.

Comment

I have no pictures, at least not unless our member buys it - Jim Quigley may have some.

John Clements
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

This R4 Avanti may be the one owned for many years by Kevin Bell of Perth, Australia. In 1983, while in Perth to attend the Australian national meet, I rode in that car. It was a very nice car. It had been converted to right hand drive, and I mentioned it in an article called "Behind the Wheel". A photo showed me looking under the left side of the dash at something, and the caption was "Where's the Wheel?"

It's true that no factory R4 Avantis were made, but Paxton Products built a very few for customers, and a few individuals have installed an R4 in Avantis. One was at the 1979 California national meet, and it was featured in an article in the AOA publication.

Only about 200 or so R3/R4 cylinder heads were made, giving the potential for about 100 engines, and the vast majority of those were used on R3 engines. I would guess that less than 10 R4-powered cars exist, maybe only five, but probably no one knows for sure. To be a true R4, the engine must have original R3/R4 cylinder heads. A reproduction R4 intake manifold has been made that will fit standard Studebaker cylinder heads, but the original R4 intake will not.

George

george krem
                  george krem

Comment

The Avanti R4 in question is owned by myself. It is a 1963 with Engine Number B79R4. I have owned the car since 1979 and is the one George Krem has ridden in. The engine was purchased from Paxton Products as a complete engine assembly in 1967. I also own a 1964 33,000 mile Commander 2 door Sedan. This car also has an R4 engine. It was owned by Sydney Studebaker dealer, Burt Needham. It was raced in the famous Bathurst 500 mile races in the 1960's. Both cars are for sale at $A50,000 each.
                    Photos are available by email upon request kevinandmargaret@yahoo.com.au

Comment

Some years ago Jon Myer told me he believed that only eight complete, true R-4 engines were built. One of those, my engine (in the SNM) is serial number B78.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                      '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                      '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                      Museum R-4 engine
                      1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                      1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by AVANTI-R4

The Avanti R4 in question is owned by myself. It is a 1963 with Engine Number B79R4. I have owned the car since 1979 and is the one George Krem has ridden in. The engine was purchased from Paxton Products as a complete engine assembly in 1967. I also own a 1964 33,000 mile Commander 2 door Sedan. This car also has an R4 engine. It was owned by Sydney Studebaker dealer, Burt Needham. It was raced in the famous Bathurst 500 mile races in the 1960's. Both cars are for sale at $A50,000 each.
                        Photos are available by email upon request kevinandmargaret@yahoo.com.au
                        Thanks for the post. Great cars and great info!

BTW, $A50,000 is about $34k US. Seems quite reasonable for these special cars.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                        X