Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More info on USPS 50s Fins & Chrome Artist &Owners

From the magazine Auto Restorer, Oct. 2008:

A nice three page article on the cars used, their owners, and the artist. Here is detail on the '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk:

"Blake Conway of Vista, California, owns this hardtop and a business restoring antique motorcycles: Paint by Blake.
    He discovered the Golden Hawk on a used car lot in 1990. After acquiring the car, he completely restored the interior, rebuilt the supercharger, performed a little minor engine work and his classic was cruise-worthy.
    Completely stock, the Golden Hawk boasts its original transmission and 289-cubic-inch V-8 engine.
    Conway isn't sure how Fitzpatrick found him but "I was really stoked about it," he recalls.
    He occasionally drives it to local cruise nights and drove it to Las Vegas for his wedding in 1995.
    Being featured on U.S. Postage isn't the Golden Hawk's only brush with fame. It was featured on a 1998 automotive calendar, Classic Cars of 1957.
    It was also displayed at the San Diego Auto Museum on a rotating pedestal."

Anyone know the owner or the car[?]

Fitzpatrick mentioned above is the artist. Specifically 90 year old Art Fitzpatrick. USPS let him choose the cars for this series, after their satisfaction with his work on "Sporty Cars of the '50s." After preliminary work, it took him about 10 days to complete each illustration. BTW: If you've seen Pontiac magazine ads from the Wide Track-era, you've seen his work before. Check out his great web-site: www.fitz-art.com

Anyone nab the 10-foot image of the stamp group displayed at the first-day-of-issue ceremony at Fall Carlisle Collector Car Swap Meet & Corral held Oct. 3rd[?] That would be a nice little item to have.[^]

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

bought my 4 stamp by 5 stamp block of Fins and Chrome yesterday.

ChopStu
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

I just mailed my SDC renewal check with a Golden Hawk stamp...do I get any bonus points for style?

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I bought some of these a day or two after they first came out. In fact, I bought 5 sheets. I've used all the non-Hawk stamps off one sheet already. Now I'm gonna peel off the Hawk stamps from the other sheets and carefully place them on the first sheet I used up. That way I'll have a full sheet of Golden Hawk Stamps. Maybe I'll even frame it!
        If I had enough of the the earlier sporty cars issue, I could make a checkerboard of Starliners and Hawks[]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Blake Conway is listed in the 2008-2009 SDC Roster as being a member and owning a 1957 Golden Hawk and a 1956 President 4dr.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X