Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Block #s

Hello,
    I'm researching a V8 Block stamping with no success.
    It reads V C D 4 0 I. V and C show up in block # lists, but not the D. I understand (can someone confirm?) that the "I" is Studebaker for "1". Does the D maybe represent a factory spare?
    Thanks,
    Rock

Per this chart:

V= 259, C= Canada, D =April, 4= 1964, 01 =1st. day of April that the engine was ASSEMBLED, not cast or installed.

Yes all "I"'s on Studebaker Car and Engine Serial numbers are "1"'s!

This engine is from a late 1964 Lark Type, either sold in Canada or Imported to the U.S. from the Hamilton, Ontario Canada Plant.

Welcome to the SDC Forum Rock, glad to have you! You can join SDC at the top of these Forum Pages.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the info StudeRich!
      So the VCD40I tells me what, where, and when it was assembled.
      Is there another stamping somewhere that is the "serial number", or rather, specific to this block (casting?)? Or, did Studebaker give the same stamping to all 259s assembled on april 1st, 1964?
      Part of my confusion is the list at http://studebakerconestoga.com/PDFs/...ineNumbers.pdf
      which shows VC as the begining code for Canada blocks from '51 thru '63, 232 224 and 259 inclusive.
      Thanks!
      Rock

Comment

Since the last time a State Motor Vehicle Dept. I.D.'d cars by their Engine Number was 1954, there was no need to I.D. each specific engine, so the answer is NO, they are all the same.

The production orders available at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN have all of the data necessary to identify how the car was built and it's engine #, body #, Ign/Door key #, trunk/glove box key #, build date, order date, date scheduled to ship etc. BY THE CAR SERIAL NUMBER.

What you have to understand about the carts, is that all of the VC's shown are numbered EXCEPT the 1964's which are Alpa/Numeric date coded!
        Before 1964 the height of the NUMBER indicated the year model of the intended car. On '64's it indicated the year with one Number and included the date, that is how you eliminate all the pre '64 info![:0]

quote:Originally posted by 4ward

Is there another stamping somewhere that is the "serial number", or rather, specific to this block (casting?)? Or, did Studebaker give the same stamping to all 259s assembled on april 1st, 1964?
        StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Great info, thanks again Rich!
          Rock

Comment

What Rich said. And FYI, at one time, the engine number list you referred to was on the SDC Web site. Unfortunately, it was full of errors and its origin could not be determined. It was replaced earlier this year by the one Rich referenced. Unfortunately, a number of other sites still display the old engine list with all of its errors.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X