National Museum Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Museum Cars

I was on my way home last night and was wondering. Do most of the cars in the museum run? How about the last 64 South Bend Studebaker? I think it's kind of sad to see it there with only 30 some miles on it. It was meant to be driven.

I think most of them do, as many are show quality restorations that were driven, and later donated to the SNM.

There are a few that were restored specifically for the museum, such as the Zip Van. While the mail truck got a complete cosmetic redo, the engine was never touched. I think the engine might've even been stuck.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

OK, Lets Hit It. The '64 is lucky to be alive, while in storage in various buildings in South Bend prior to the museum being housed in the Freeman Spicer building, parts were removed by unscrupulous individuals for what ever reason. Thirty miles on the clock of this significant vehicle is plus.

Richard

Comment

The last South Bend Studebaker originally sold to Boyer Bros Motor Co in Moselem Springs (Fleetwood) PA does run but it has been awhile.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Retired

OK, Lets Hit It. The '64 is lucky to be alive, while in storage in various buildings in South Bend prior to the museum being housed in the Freeman Spicer building, parts were removed by unscrupulous individuals for what ever reason. Thirty miles on the clock of this significant vehicle is plus.

Richard
          What kind of parts were "removed"? I noticed last summer that the brake pedal pad was missing. I wonder if that was one of the "missing items"..

Don't get me wrong.. It's nice to see a new stude.. just sad that it was never driven. I guess it's just part of the sad studebaker story.

Comment

There is a stationwagon at the National Automobile Museum in Reno NV. that also has'nt been driven. It has even less mileage, I think. Actually, I don't find this sad at all. It's nice to see these vehicles as they were when new. Many of the show cars are dolled up way past what they came out of the factory. Their paint is picture-perfect as is the upholstry. These two Museum vehicles give one a glimpse back into the time when one could go down to the dealership and pick up a factory done car. They exist with all the warts, runs, and wrinkles that a production car would have. Though, to be honest, it would be a more perfect world to see those cars and their museum located at the test-track so that they could be driven, as they were meant to be, and as their motor-trains would be better off doing from time to time.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I know that when I looked inside the 64 last week there was no shifter. Must be inoperable. Too bad, I love that red-on-red color combo[:X]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I know that when I looked inside the 64 last week there was no shifter. Must be inoperable. Too bad, I love that red-on-red color combo[:X]
                Yeah I just noticed that from the picture I took of it last summer. I remember thinking that there was no shifter when I was there.

Here are some pics of the car from last years meet.

It's a very pretty car. Can't wait till my 4 door is done sometime this century..

Comment

quote:Originally posted by smaclean

I was on my way home last night and was wondering. Do most of the cars in the museum run? How about the last 64 South Bend Studebaker? I think it's kind of sad to see it there with only 30 some miles on it. It was meant to be driven.
                  I completely agree with you ...IT SHOULD BE DRIVEN!!!The older I get ...the better I was!

Comment

[quote...driven by the luck "winner" of a raffle benefiting SNM Restoration Fund during the week of the 2012 SDC International Meet coinciding with the 50th Anniversary of SDC. [/quote]

Hey that's a great idea!!!! That would be a nice site to see.

Comment

I thought the fit and finish on the 64 was pretty decent; not as much with the 66 (the last one ever). That one was pretty far out of whack[B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

OK. Lets Hit It. Motor components come to mind i.e. carburator for one.

Richard

Comment

What is it you always want to "hit"??[)] Hitting isn't nice[B)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bob; I think the reason the last South Bend '64 is so nice and the last Hamilton car is not, is that the '64 IS original, and the Corp. drove the wheels off of the Canadian one, and it had to be partially "restored", poorly I guess! [:0]

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Bob; I think the reason the last South Bend '64 is so nice and the last Hamilton car is not, is that the '64 IS original, and the Corp. drove the wheels off of the Canadian one, and it had to be partially "restored", poorly I guess! [:0]

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              I haven't looked that closely to the 66 one. What is wrong with it?

Comment

Working...
                              X