Want to buy a Power hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to buy a Power hawk

I have the oportunity to buy a 1956 power hawk for $5,000, and was wondering if that is a good price?

It is all original and spent it's entire life in the garage in California. I am buying it from the original owner, She is 91.

The car has 53,000 original miles. It is black exterior on black/white interior. No rust, no dents, original paint and interior with only minor wear and tear.

I am not a Studebaker guy, so I don't really know that much about them, but the car looks cool as hell.

thanks for the advise
    BRandon

Jump, Quickly. Find out about the warts later. (There will be something wrong, but nothing that can't be fixed.)

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 528 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum Brandon! We will be glad to have you as a SDC Member and Forum poster, if you buy this one, or another "undervalued" Studebaker or are just "looking"!

Being garaged and in So. Calif. it SHOULD not have holes or bubbles rotting through the rear edges of the front fenders and floor and trunk floor rust out. If it does, that could be an issue, during it's first 10 years it would have been daily driven and MAY have been outside.

I would guess that it is no longer weekly driven so the engine and brakes may need help, just so you know what you are getting into. However none of that, except the possible rust should cause the value to be much less than $5000.00 that IS a fair price.

It would be more desirable to some people (maybe most), if it is equipped with Standard Trans with Overdrive, (chrome "T" handle under the left side of dash marked O.D. and of course a clutch pedal).

Four barrel Carb. and dual exhausts?

Pictures would certainly verify that guess! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Must be one BIG Garage eh?

"...It is all original and spent it's entire life in the garage in California...The car has 53,000 original miles..."

[8D]

Comment

Brandon,
          You've struck gold. By all means jump at the opportunity. Sounds like a really nice car.
          Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I am going to see it Saturday morning, so I will take some pictures.

What should I look for? Where are the problem parts on these cars and like the standard trans w/overdrive what are the most sought after items.

thanks
            Brandon

Comment

If memory serves, it has the second most powerful engine available in '56, the 289, not sure if 4 bbl was offered. Super charger and Twin Traction (Positrac rear axle) were not available. The Power Hawk was one step down from the Golden Hawk in 56, so it has almost as many goodies as the GH.

As mentioned above, the brakes probably need reworking, there may be rust in the front fenders toward the front door, and on the floor at the bottom of the front door pillars (A pillars.)
              Neither of these are deal breakers at all, only a frame badly swollen with rust would do that.

The 3 spd OD transmission is more desirable, (than the automatic) it is less liable to need repair and gives better handling, quicker off the block because of higher numerical rear axle, and better mileage because of the OD.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              (Under Construction 528 hrs.)
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bdnman

I am going to see it Saturday morning, so I will take some pictures.

What should I look for? Where are the problem parts on these cars and like the standard trans w/overdrive what are the most sought after items.
                Welcome to the SDC Forum, Brandon!!!

It sounds like you've struck gold in California![8D] In addition to what the other have chimed in with, consider making as part of the deal with the original owner, ALL the documents, service records, sales receipts, brochures, etc., etc. she can round up.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

The older I get ...the better I was!

Comment

Power Hawks had a 259, a 4 barrel was a option.

JDP/Maryland
                  "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                  Thomas Jefferson
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Please correct me if I am wrong Mr.bredehoft,but didn't the power hawks have the 259 4 barrel,and then the sky hawks had the 289 4 barrel?

Dylan
                    '61 lark regal 4dr wagon
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I thought it was a 259 with either a 2 barrel and optional 4 for more horses.

Any sheet metal issues I should look for?

Comment

Just a thought...there are so many members on here with invaluable
                        knowledge and many are in California.While it is a very long state,
                        odds are there is a forum member near you that could assist you in
                        looking the car over.Unlike some other clubs the folks here wont try
                        to under cut you on the deal or try to mislead you.It's a option you
                        might like to consider.
                        Not only do you get a second set of eyes to look the car over you
                        will make a local contact who can let you know of a local chapter of
                        the Studebaker Drivers Club,local parts availability,and more.
                        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

For 1956:

Golden Hawk

Sky Hawk

Power Hawk

Flight Hawk

Comment

Keep us posted if its close to Fresno I can come look with you. There are lots of knowledgeable Studebaker people in California.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                            1957 Silverhawk
                            1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            1955 President State
                            1957 Golden Hawk
                            Fresno,Ca
                            Mabel 1949 Champion
                            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            The Prez 1955 President State
                            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                            Fresno,Ca

Comment

I am in Orange County...bit of a drive but will let everybody know what I find [^]

Comment

Working...
                              X