Opinions on this truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on this truck?

I have a casual eye out for a parts hauler / tow vehicle, and spotted this. I'm about 90 miles from it, and could go look, if I knew what to look for.
    Opinions on value?

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
    "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

I would think that the opening bid is "all the money" for this pickup considering that it is built on the original chassis with '53 drum brakes and needs paint work, bumper, etc. Usually, a resto-mod pickup would be built on a sub-frame giving more modern suspension, power disc brakes and power steering.
    This pickup would probably fill your short trip parts hauler needs and the opening price would be okay, IMHO. With that said, I can't see you using it for a "tow vehicle" without some major/expensive work. For a few thousand more, nice Studebaker pickups that can haul and tow are available.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is going to need a Steering upgrade as well as all the other unfinished items. It would be a nice start for the right money.
      The perfect work truck trailer hauler, with White Leather Seats! [}]

Did you notice that strange rear axle mounting? The housing is welded to a giant beam that goes forward to somewhere and the spring bushing is welded to the frame I think.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't know the truck, but the seller is a member here, last posted in August. Maybe you can ask him questions directly through the forum.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Studerich, I think that is some kind of optical illusion. I don't quite understand the rear setup either, but I've never looked at a stock stude PU.
          I'm feeling the same way about the money. Trucks are so cheap right now. My son is about to trade in his truck (our current hauler/puller) and the trade in is riduclous (it's a 02 dodge ram quadcab that has worked well, but he has it lifted 6 inches, 35 inch tires, and it gets about 12 MPG). I don't need That much truck, plus a stude would be way cooler.
          I've emailed the seller, but haven't heard back yet.

Comment

I sent you my phone number by eBay reply. Give me a call. Come to Uvalde for a visit. Take home a Studebaker or two.
            Allen

Comment

My stock truck went for a bit more. C cabs are hot sellers.

JDP/Maryland
              "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
              Thomas Jefferson
              JDP Maryland

Comment

It's a little awkward talking about someones truck here on the forum, knowing they are reading the posts. But I am new at this, and I am a typical CASO, looking for a deal, especially on something that will see very limited use. So, with apologies to satdoc2 in advance, here's my thinking. Not in the same class as JDP's truck, nor the same market.
                Not stock, not a hot rod, not a show truck, just a truck. Good points about it being a hauler, but not a puller. I have a 16 foot trailer, 7000 lbs capacity (but usually around 4500 loaded) . The Stude may be too light to control it, and may not stop it.
                BUT, I love this truck. So what will it take to make it work.
                1. Body work and primer spots for now. (seal it from rusting)
                2. Replace door handles or solenoids or whatever.
                3. Brakes, I see the MC is on the firewall. It's a later style split reservoir. May be room for a booster? How much for a disc conversion, ballpark?
                4. Steering, Is this the same set up as the cars? Is there a reasonable upgrade, like a better box, or does it need the whole power setup?
                5. What do these trucks weigh, how much would you safely pull?
                6. Capability ?? Mid 80's 350 is around 220 HP with decent low end torque. Depending on the ratios in the 4 speed and rear end it could be a stump puller or economical cruiser.
                I'm committed this weekend, so I have a few days to let it rattle around in my head; in the meantime I'd appreciate the comments of others.
                I've told the Seller I hope to go see it next week.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by oldguy829

It's a little awkward talking about someones truck here on the forum, knowing they are reading the posts.
                  I could see that; but it also can be a good discussion. Satdoc2 can join in and answer questions, and agree or disagree, and state reasons. Maybe we can all learn something here!

In this case the Q&A in public is productive; you get your questions answered by knowledgeable folks, without any sniping at the owner or his vehicle; seller gets free publicity on the Forum for his vehicle... sounds like a win/win![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Thanks Bob, That's the direction I would hope this would go. Whether I get this truck or not, I'd still like to discuss the merits of an early 50's champ pickup for hauling/towing. I guess the most relevant questions are;
                    1. How much does it weigh? Is a 4500 pound trailer (loaded) going to be too much?
                    2. Disc brake conversion is going to be +/- $500 ? Plus, isn't a booster required for discs?
                    3. Steering? Is there a simple PS conversion? (simple meaning it will fit in the space available and rotate the proper direction and amount. Fabricating a mount, modifying the connection to the column etc. should be simple, unless this one has the hollow steering column with the horn wire in the middle?)
                    Any other considerations?

Comment

Working...
                    X