Avanti question for SDC show judge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti question for SDC show judge

Over on the AOAI forum a question arose about the colors of stock carpets.

One member said that all early Avantis (up to a 46XX serial no)
    had salt & pepper (or tuxedo) carpet. The later cars had all black.
    Is that accurate?

If the cars originally came with S&P, and a car has fawn dash/upper door panels/headliner and black seats...what would the carpet colors be?

Some think the carpet colors would be fawn & black, i.e. matching the interior colors...

others think the carpet colors would be matched to exterior paint colors so the carpet would be (black & red, black & turquoise, etc.)?

Any idea which is correct?

Thanks...

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

This is an extremely interesting question and the correct answer depends on who you are talking too. One thing is for sure this was a running production change and determining just when it happened is pure speculation. It is knoown that all alte production 63's classified as 64's and all square headlight 64's all had solid black carpet. I have found that most early production cars had carpet matched to the interior color of the car. IE: a White Exterior with the orange interior had the orange spected carpet.

As for your first question, I suspectthe carpet would have been black. and fawn to match the interior.

An SDC Avanti judge would look for this carpet but probably not deduct points if the car had solid black carpet in it either.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

My '63, #3152, has turquoise and black carpet, black seats and fawn dash and package tray. I'm reasonably sure they are original.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

My Avanti #2382 has a gold exterior with black interior. It does have the S&P carpet, but it looks like it is gold and black not fawn and black. I can look at it this weekend to make sure.

Nick

edited for spelling

Comment

Since all '63's had fawn dash, upper door panels and headliner bolsters etc., the logic doesn't follow that the carpets would be color & fawn, as many other variations occurred. Red cars had red/black carpets, turquoise had turq/blk etc. Gold cars and black cars would probably reveal the answer. My "grunt gold" Avanti with elk interior had black/fawn carpets. Were any other combinations used with gold cars? The July 1962 parts manual lists solid black carpets as being available, but was it an option or just for black cars?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by WCP
            The July 1962 parts manual lists solid black carpets as being available, but was it an option or just for black cars?
            Another good question.
            Any idea if the production order would give a hint?

My red car has all-black carpets...but they sure could have been changed in 46 years...but the door panels & door panel carpet sure look original.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

A good point. The build ticket for my car was written on June 26/62. There does not appear to be an option number for carpet selection. Could the dealer request a specific carpet? Someone should have the info on what the dealers could order on the '63's.

Comment

Ok, Lets Hit It: 1963 Avanti, build date, 3-5-63. BKV Interior, (Black vinyl, seats,lower portion of doors and rear qtr. panels.)

Carpet, Turquoise & black.

Perforated seats.

Carpet color is not listed on production order

Richard

Comment

Easy answer. The salt and pepper carpets high light color was turquoise with turquoise seats, orange with orange, red with red and so on.

JDP/Maryland
                  "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                  Thomas Jefferson
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Easy answer. The salt and pepper carpets high light color was turquoise with turquoise seats, orange with orange, red with red and so on.
                    So you're saying with black seats the carpet would be all black?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

No, they were fawn and black on early cars with black seats. Good catch on the exception.

JDP/Maryland
                      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                      Thomas Jefferson
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

This may answer some questions about what was available.

Bob Langer
                        Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                        Glenshaw,PA

Comment

That chart seems to answer the question...
                          unless all black carpet was optional by request.
                          To be honest, I'd prefer all black, but I hate to stray from factory correct.
                          Phantom seems to be the only supplier with S&P carpet...
                          anyone know of anyone else?

The chart poses a new question...
                          was Regal trim or the Deluxe trim standard?
                          Was there an extra cost for the other?

I haven't seen one with the Deluxe trim with perforated seat inserts.

ADDED...after reading ClaymoreWW's post, I see where I misread the chart...now it makes sense! [:I]

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My (relatively uneducated) assessment of the Deluxe/Regal question would be that there was STANDARD Deluxe, OPTIONAL Deluxe and OPTIONAL Regal.

It is interesting that if you had a turquoise exterior, you could only get the S&P turquoise carpet.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                            1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

The Phantom and my salt and pepper is not very close, but it's as close as you can get. It's the modern "tuxedo" and the color ratio is off:

This website is for sale! auto-interior.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, auto-interior.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

JDP/Maryland
                              Thomas Jefferson
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X