Studes @ Indpls Raceway Park Street Stock Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes @ Indpls Raceway Park Street Stock Night

'Just got back from a light-duty race evening at O'Reilly/Indianapolis Raceway Park's Street Stock "run-what-ya-brung" drag race event. Richard "R1" Poe e-mailed earlier in the day, saying he was planning to bring his charcoal R1/4-speed 1963 Lark Custom and Chuck Kern was going to attend with his 1963 R2/Powershift Avanti and Ted Harbit was coming down sans car (but Ted did drive his 1962 Cruiser anyway) in case I was available and wanted to wander over.

It sounded like a fun evening only a few miles away, so I headed over about 5:30. Everyone was already there and had passed Tech Inspection, but no one had been permitted on the track. The drag strip opened only a few minutes later and we were off to the races.

Both Richard and Chuck competed. They both tickled the 13s but didn't quite make it, posting in the low to mid 14s all evening. (The evening was pure heads-up drag racing against whoever happened to be in the other lane, unless you made previous arrangements for a specific grudge match.)

Richard's three runs in his R1/4-speed Lark were memorable in that he soundly beat a good-running 1994-1997 vintage Mustang GT, sending the 'Stang packing by arriving at the end of the quarter a solid 1.5 seconds ahead of it. Later, I noticed a semi-offensive graphic in the Mustang's rear window, stating that, "In order to p*ss on it, you first have to catch it."

I asked Richard if he had seen that graphic and he replied, "How could I? It was in his rear window and the Lark was ahead from the green light to the finish line!" Good point; I hadn't thought of that!

Richard's second run scored a tighter win over a mid-80s vintage Monte Carlo Super Sport, also running well. It was hard to tell who was winning as we watched from the starting line and the cars seemed to disappear down the strip in a dead heat. But the WIN lights came on in Richard's lane [] and he later reported being about three car lengths ahead at the finish line.

Richard's third run was a bummer. It was his best launch of the evening and he posted record (or near record; he wasn't sure) 330-foot and eighth-mile times and was certainly headed for a 13-something-second run. But as he went for fourth gear in the last third of the run, the clutch acted strange and wouldn't release! He power-shifted anyway and posted his best run of the evening: 14.066 seconds. Not bad for having a bum clutch and being an R1, eh?

Chuck Kern and his R2/Powershift Avanti ran consistently all evening. Chuck concentrated on his launch technique until he got down to an excellent .022 reaction time. That really puffed him up with a sense of accomplishment....too much, apparently; he red-lighted the last two races! Oops. Even so, Chuck remained solidly in the mid to low 14s all evening and had only a modest high-end power loss to contend with. More to sort out for the next Pure Stock Drags event.

Chuck's son John Kern joined us, as did his grandson Jerry, a Junior at Martinsville [IN] High School and a nice kid. Jerry again reminded me of our advancing ages. I engaged Jerry in conversation about the race cars in line and pointed out a sleek older pony car. Jerry agreed as to its attractiveness and asked me what it was. When I told him it was a 1973 Barracuda, he asked, quite seriously, "Who made them?"

Richard Poe's son Jeff also joined us. Jeff is older than Chuck's grandson Jerry, and is an excellent full-time mechanic at a south-side Indianapolis Firestone Service Center.

Ted Harbit spent a lot of time at the starting line, closely watching Richard and Chuck's rear axle movement on launch, to re
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Good report. Thanks for sharing.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Always enjoy your post BP this one was no exception.

wagonmaster-clonelark
      Bob Whiten
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Sure wish I lived closer to this hotbed of Studebaker drag racing. You Indiana guys have all the fun.[]
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Great report, Bob.

Always good to hear about the exploits of that gang.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

That sounds like it was a rockin good time. Studes representing well again.

sals54
            sals54

Comment

The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

We are sure going to try and be at Brown County again next year Richard, sorry to see you had problems. When you want to play sometimes you got to pay. In my dreams could I ever do a 2.03 60 foot.[^] 14.06 is unheard of from an R-1. Congrats Richard.

quote:Originally posted by 63larkr1
                Frank van Doorn
                1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Conv
                1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PleTGQ-n-sg
                  I really like how your car and Joe Bacons car look together.
                  Richard
                  The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Cool Richard.Thanks for posting the video. Guess you will have to make it an annual event now. I haven't had the 41 at a strip locally this year but will try in the spring to make some tuneup runs before Brown County.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Frank I think the more you run the drag tires the better they will hook.
                      We do plan to make it and annual event, I'll contact you soon about that, interesting things may happen this May.
                      Later, Richard

Comment

The funny thing is Richard, the more I ran the slower the e.t."s became. I went from a 9.505, same as Ted ran on some runs, on my first run, to subsequent 9.80's. I have been told by some local racers that run in the 6's that torque convertors become less efficient as the fluid heats up, could be something to that.
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

It doesn't get any better than that. I just love seeing the Studes on the drag strip. There is nothing like the sound of a Stude V/8 getting up on the RPM's. Too many people are afraid to run there Studes that hard for some reason. They are such a stout motor. The are missing out on alot of fun because of fear.

Gordon

Comment

Comment

Thanks again for the drags post, BP. [^][^][^]

Either you or Richard...did the third run for Richard's car win against the opponent even with the power shift?? Couldn't tell if the "bummer" was just the time or that run [?]

Comment

Working...
                              X