64 Challenger weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Challenger weights

I am doing a Pro street Challenger and planning on having composite springs in the rear. I need the rear weight of the car. Problem is the body is gettig dipped and all I have is the frame.
    Can someone provide me with the front and rear weight of a 64 Challenger V8 ?
    THANKS
    PAUL LAUSCH

According to the 1964 Dealer Facts Book, the Challenger V8 2dr sedan is 2910 lbs. The Challenger V8 4dr sedan is 3010 lbs. They do not list any front or rear weights. OBTW, these are listed
    as "estimated shipping weights" Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Someone mentioned having scales available at The CeRap Meet. I have digital scales I could probably bring- shows total weight, weight at each corner, front, rear, and side percentages, and cross-weight.

Might be fun to do just for fun[)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

According to the Sept. 1989 Turning wheels,
        SHIPPING WEIGHTS - The shipping weights indicated herein are for vehicles with standard equipment only and exclude water engine oil, and gasoline.
        Ready-for-road weights may be determined by adding to the indicated shipping the weights shown for water, engine oil, and gasoline and the weight of the items of optional equipment on the car.

WATER, ENGINE OIL & GASOLINE
        6 cyl Engine Models 140 lbs.
        8 cyl Engine Models 150 lbs.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
        6 cyl Engine models - 10 lbs.
        6 cyl Taxi & Police Marshall and all
        8 cyl Engine Models - 21 lbs.

OVERDRIVE
        6 cyl Engine Models - 36 lbs.
        8 cyl Engine Models - 17 lbs.

4-SPEED TRANSMISSION - Sub. 5 lbs
        POWER BRAKES - 9 lbs.
        POWER STEERING - 40 lbs.
        CLIMATIZER & DEFROSTER -
        All Models - 19 lbs.
        AIR CONDITIONER - Est. 90 lbs.
        RADIO WITH ANTENNA - 10 lbs

The following weights should be added to the shipping weight of 1964 V models whenever optional engines and/ or high performance packages are specified:

MODEL ENGINES
        ----------- ------ --------- --- ---
        289 Cu. In. JT & R JTS & RS R-3 R-4
        ----------- ------ --------- --- ---
        VF - 2 Dr. Sedan 32 93 148 158 103

VY - 4 Dr. Sedan }
        VL - Convertable } 32 93 148 158 103
        VJ - Hardtop }

VP - Sta. Wagon 13 74 129 139 84
        VY9 - Cruiser std. 74 129 139 84
        VK - Hawk std. 44 99 109 54
        Q - Avanti N.A. std 55 65 10
        --------------------------------------------------------------
        suggested list shipping weight
        Commander 2 Dr. 64V-F4 $1985.00 2945

Hope this helps Wagonmaster
        clonelark Bob Whiten
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Sorry, you wanted Challenger weights not Commander.

CHALLENGER 2 Dr. Sedan - 64V-F2 - $1874.00 -- 2910 lbs

Bob Whiten
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Can't give you the front to rear weights but in all the years we ran George Krem's R 3 at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags, it weighed between 3440 and 3488.

This was with driver so deduct 180 pounds from that. The 48 pounds difference in weight was due to various amounts of fuel in the tank.

This is also an R 3 so deduct ? 50 pounds for that so you could surmise the curb weight of the car is right at 3250 pounds.

Hope this helps some.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by 00RACER

I am doing a Pro street Challenger and planning on having composite springs in the rear. I need the rear weight of the car. Problem is the body is gettig dipped and all I have is the frame.
            Can someone provide me with the front and rear weight of a 64 Challenger V8 ?
            THANKS
            PAUL LAUSCH

Comment

DOES THE BROWN WRAPPER HAVE A ROLL BAR IN IT?
              I AM DELETING 20# FROM THE FRAME-ALUMINUM RADIATOR-NO FRONT BUMPER-ABOUT 12# FROM THE HOOD-DELETE HEATER-DEFROSTER-RADIO-REAR SEAT-LEXAN GLASS-KEVLAR FRONT SEATS-ALL DISC BRAKES-COMPOSITE REAR SPRINGS-AND ABOUT 60-75# MISC.
              HOPEFULLY I CAN GET TO MY 2600#
              THANKS
              PAUL LAUSCH

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chicken Hawk

Can't give you the front to rear weights but in all the years we ran George Krem's R 3 at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags, it weighed between 3440 and 3488.

I have found that the weights given by Studebaker are 300-600 pounds on the light side of actual. 2600 pounds is going to be tough (unless you slip in a SBC )

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Or go with an all aluminium LS6. Then you could have 450 horsepower for the weight of a champ 6.

sals54
                  sals54

Comment

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE BUT NO THANKS-A STUDEBAKER NEEDS A STUDEBAKER ENGINE-THE ENGINE GOING IN THIS CAR IS AN R3 WITH APPROX 525 HP
                    THANKS
                    PAUL LAUSCH

Comment

After seeing your orange car, I can't wait to see this one![] Be sure to keep us posted[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The weight distribution should be about 57% on the front for a V8. This is not exact but should be +/- 1%.

David L
                        David L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Someone mentioned having scales available at The CeRap Meet. I have digital scales I could probably bring- shows total weight, weight at each corner, front, rear, and side percentages, and cross-weight.

Might be fun to do just for fun[)]
                          I (posted the idea) thought the idea would be fun, I don't have any scales. If OORACER's project was complete.....there would be one participant Seemed like very little intrest. I sent a couple emails to meet organizers at Iowa and Arizona, no one responded. So I just dropped the idea and chalked it up to an idea the club wasn't interested in doing.

UPDATEFound a picture of the UPS scales used to weigh cars, still a useful idea,

ChopStu
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker
                            This was my car and I think a good example of Studebaker's understated weights.

The car had about 10 gallons of gas in it at this weighing.

Small block Chevy (a couple hundred pounds lighter than a Stude V8), aluminum flywheel, aluminum bellhousing, T-10 with aluminum case, aluminum intake, tubular headers, no heater/defroster, aluminum wheels, no added equipment (like power windows, AC, etc)

...and it's still over 3200 pounds. IIRC, Studebaker advertised this car in Commander Regal trim at 3100 pounds. It was probably closer to 3500-3600 pounds actually.

I don't think I'd trust the published Studebaker weights.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

My 53 K weighs 3,445 with 5 gal. of gas. 232 3 speed O.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X