Power Brakes on 1963 Hawk problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Brakes on 1963 Hawk problem

We had a disc brake locking up on the 63 GT Hawk (driver side). We bleed all the brakes and had clean fluid runing though out the system and got the on caliper freed up. But after applying the brakes all the brakes are locked up. We check to make sure the brake petal travel the correct distance and along with making sure the petal returned all the way back to the correct postion. Any ideas of what can be going on. . .

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
    1956 Transtar
    1905 Farm Wagon
    Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
    1905 Farm Wagon

Check the residual pressure bleed-off port inside the MC. It's a small hole in FRONT of the large main fluid hole.

Is it a new MC? If so, did you defeat the residual pressure check-valve? Disc-brake equipped cars use a different MC than regular cars.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
    Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

It's the orginial stock brake system.

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
      1956 Transtar
      1905 Farm Wagon
      Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
      1905 Farm Wagon

Comment

Yes Rick, we get that, but Ray is trying to tell you that unless you watched everything that ever happened to this car for 45 years, how would you know that the residual check valve has been removed from the (same looking) master cylinder (or repair kit) that is used on drum brake cars. It could have had a replacement at some point, a master does not last 45 years! [:0]

It is a small round metal disc with a rubber one-way diaphragm inside and is on the end of the spring also the rubber cushion it seats on is not used on Studebaker front Disc. equipped cars! [:0]

If you check the Master Cylinder Chart in the Chassis Parts Catalog, you will see that the diff. between the Disc. Bk. M/C and the Drum Bk unit is these two parts are not used on Disc.

Another cause of this condition could be swelled flex hoses, not only the three at the wheels but especially the two special ones at the Hydrovac unit. Most Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com have all five of these.

quote:Originally posted by Rick Courtier

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Rick Courtier

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
          1956 Transtar
          1905 Farm Wagon
          I was simply stating that it looks to be the orginial equipment, I was trying to help Lloyd out with the brakes since they just started locking up before the State Meet and since the car sat for a long time while geting painted 3 times in the past 5 or so years with maybe 5 miles put on the car since Lloyd got it. Plus, They had all the lines disconnected before I went over to help. So I want to get the lines all cleaned out of the old brake fluid first and then check to see if we still had a problem. All the flexible seem to been replaced in the 5 years. But since you mention MC it looks like the oldest part on the brake system except for the rubber boot and it seems new. Our other problem is that he doesn't have a manual for the car yet. I know how to work on manual brakes and the Turner Disc brake also manual but the Power disc brakes is something New (old) to me. [B)]

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
          1956 Transtar
          1905 Farm Wagon

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
          1905 Farm Wagon

Comment

We had one of the rubber lines going from the booster close up on us once. Brakes locked up, and wouldn't release.

We were in a parade, and ended up boiling the transmission fluid. It was a steamy day. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
            X