Gold is not a bad choice or is it ..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold is not a bad choice or is it ..?

One of my spare engines ended into my friend Marko's hot rod project. He is building a 1927/28 Erskine coupe with a 259 under the hood. The engine was a tight fit. As he is using a TH 350 w adaptor kit the (Ford) starter had to be removed to the passenger side. Getting the adapter and the flywheel shipped from the parts vendor was a six month nightmare and we thought that the money sent was already lost but once it finally arrived it was good quality work and did fit perfectly.[^]

As the body will be black with gold vinyl /leather interior he chose to paint the engine gold as well. The carb is Edelbrock and we tried a few Studebaker aircleaners but finally none could be fitted under the tight hood. Thus he modified one from a 1957 Ford unit.

I just thought that I would share a few pics of this process every now and then as he has tight schedule to meet our national Easter show (2009) and he is working on the car just on weekends. I am just helping him a bit with the parts and "motivation"..... and I think that the gold is not a bad choice for the 259 as the car will be all black..

The 1957 engine had been lying around in my garage for a few years and I knew just that it was a low mileage unit. Luckily all it needed was just one piston to be replaced.

With new gaskets, oil seals and piston rings it started yesterday like a new engine. ( 10 sec video ...)

And to you who think that the Erskine should have been restored I can tell that it was missing a lot of parts and restoring it over here would have been too much asked...

I will post some more pics once the body is painted and on the frame.

Here are few more pics of the project..

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Pekka

1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible
    sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

I think the gold is perfect! []

That's what I will paint the 259 in the Ute. I "stole" the idea from a Cadillac in a Rod and Custom feature car...

Marko's hot rod will be very special. Keep the pictures coming as he works on it.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I think the gold is perfect! []

That's what I will paint the 259 in the Ute. I "stole" the idea from a Cadillac in a Rod and Custom feature car...

Marko's hot rod will be very special. Keep the pictures coming as he works on it.
      Sure, I will post some pics as Marko's Erskine gets further.... and I am sure he will now also be lurking here once in a while following the progress of the Ute and other cool member's rides![]

Pekka

sigpic

Comment

Black and gold is never a bad choice.

nate

(born and raised just outside of Pittsburgh...)

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Wow Nate, I got a nasty meassage from some guy saying I am trying to enter his site the WRONG WAY!

All I did is right click the square icon on your post and selected view Pic!

But you are right, Black and Gold are OK on an engine, just don't try to paint a car those colors!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PekkaP

Pekka
            Holy Chitt! Stunning! Thanks a million for all of the info, movie and pics too!

Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com
            Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Pekka: Very nice work; what a sweetheart! You guys are to be commended for what is obviously a well-thought-out project. It looks really nice...especially the stance, as you say. Keep the pics and info coming, please. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

But you are right, Black and Gold are OK on an engine, just don't try to paint a car those colors!
                That color combination was a factory option in 1958, Rich! The codes were P5858, or P5859.

Craig

Comment

I'm starting to dig this gold engine thing. I have only seen that on incorrect engine color brochures, thought it looked good, but was always cautioned not to pay attention to the factory brochures for stock color restoration. It would be a great look in a red car, too.
                  While technically not a partly painted gold car.. since they were inserts, but this combo looked nice..

[img][/img]

Of course there is always the Smokey and the Bandit other end of the black and gold paint scheme spectrum. There were so many of those cars that you kind of got sick of that combination.

Comment

If you wonder what a gold engine would look like in that car with goldish interior, Barnlark, you're crazy! What a contrast, just beautiful!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Bob, not following you. Which car? I love the Ute in gold, the P Hawk I think was silver on the block. Pekka's looks terrific. I loved the combo for that Hawk paint. Looked like 60K.

Comment

Sure Craig I know, they also made Lemon-Lime Speedsters [xx(] and all combos of Pink ones, but that doesn't mean you have to BUY one! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich
                        That color combination was a factory option in 1958, Rich! The codes were P5858, or P5859.Craig
                        StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A couple of months ago I posted few pics and an update on my friend Marko's '27/28 Erskine Coupe project. Now this neat 259 Stude powered coupe is ready after some 18 months hard work by him in his tiny garage. He did everything except the interior work himself!

This little coupe sounds neat and is a blast to drive ( the first test drives were on our icy roads...[] and it is still pretty cold here with some snow here and there[xx(]).
                          The car made it's first entry to our main local show this weekend. I have some recent pics from his garage in the link below. Here are couple of pics from the show.

And here below is the link to some more pics from the entire build up process.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Pekka

sigpic

Comment

That engine looks retroformidable in there with its four bolt valve covers. I know gold is an excellent investment right now, but that roof should be shiny black.

Comment

Great car!

Love the heater! []

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X