Floor shift automatic [?]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor shift automatic [?]

Were all V8 Larks and Hawks in 63-4 when equipped with automatic floor shifters also optioned with powershift trannys? If one wanted a column shift automatic with the R series engine in those years was one relegated to the heavy duty flightomatic? Any body aware of any 6 cyl. automatic floor shift cars being produced? Any 65-6 floor shift auto's or 4 speeds available? I just gots to know! jimmijm
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

From what I understand....

The PowerShift was only available in a '63-64 R series Lark or Hawk. The only cars with non-R series engines (standard 289s) that I've seen with PowerShifts, were '64 GT Hawks.

In the early days of the R series engine, a regular, air cooled Flight-O-Matic was available. After those didn't hold up, the HD (water cooled) FOM became available. So you had FIVE transmission choices with an R engine. PowerShift, HD Flight-o, T-10 4 speed, straight 3 speed, and 3 speed with overdrive. The PowerShift and T-10 were the only ones that were floor shifted.

I don't believe any floor shift automatic 6 bangers were ever built. And in '65-66, only a column shift car was available. (Flight-o, 3 speed, or 3 speed with OD.)

Hope this somewhat makes sense.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The Powershift was a option for any V8. Some R series cars were equipped with the HD Flightomatic, a few even the regular, ir cooled one.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

The Powershift was a option for any V8. Some R series cars were equipped with the HD Flightomatic, a few even the regular, ir cooled one.

JDP/Maryland
        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
        Thomas Jefferson
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I at one time owned a 64 cruiser with red viny bucket seat interior with the power shift. Engine was a 289 2 bbl. I did the irresponsible thing to it about 20 yrs go.I have regretted that deed many times. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Matt, just to be a little clearer; I do not believe that you can say that R Series Studebakers (Jet Thrust, Super Jet Thrust and Avanti R1 & R2) were available with 3 speed and 3 speed Overdrive! [:0]

I do not think ANY R2's were built with 3 speed, it shows not available in the '64 Showroom Manual Performance section.

Also I not think any R series cars were built with Overdrive.

The R2 and above engines all require 4 Speed or H.D. Automatic, either Power Shift or H.D. Flight-O-Matic.

What those few 3 speeds SHOULD have had, is the H.D. T-85 3 Speed Overdrive! [] There were of course fit issues, with the Avanti, Daytona Convertible and Wagonaire because of the "X" member frame.

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Can you use a Powershift shifter with a Flight-O? Are they essentially the same trans?

Comment

Can you use a Powershift shifter with a Flight-O? Are they essentially the same trans?

Comment

No, the Powershift has a wider front band, sprag unit, 6 position valve body, backward shift pattern (PRND21) etc.

It is very similar to a Ford Cruise-O-Matic.

quote:Originally posted by JDC

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No, the Powershift has a wider front band, sprag unit, 6 position valve body, backward shift pattern (PRND21) etc.

quote:Originally posted by JDC

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

...except the Cruise-O-Matic started in low gear.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

...except the Cruise-O-Matic started in low gear.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

To clarify just a couple things, guys, based on a ton of research for the up-coming High-Performance Studebakers article in Collectible Automobile magazine:

1. There's no record of any R-series car being built with overdrive.

2. Straight three-speed was only available with an R1 engine.

3. Standard-Duty, air-cooled, column-shift Flightomatic was fitted to some R2 1964 cars as well, believe it or not. Example: 64V7089, was a Laguna Blue 1964 Daytona Convertible shipped to Virginia with an R2 engine and column-shift, standard-duty Flightomatic!

4. Powershift floor automatic was not available in 1963 Larks or Hawks until February 15, 1963. If you ordered a 1963, R2-powered Lark or Hawk before then, you got one of three transmissions: Column-shift H.D. Flightomatic, standard-duty, column-shift Flightomatic, or 4-speed, floor shift.

Looking over production records, a general shift seems to have been made at Serial Number 63V7202, an Ermine White 1963 R2/Standard-Duty Flightomatic Gran Turismo Hawk. Most (but not all) R-engine/automatic transmission cars before that number were standard-duty Flightomatics. Most (but not all) R-engine/automatic transmission cars after that serial number were Heavy-Duty Flightomatics. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:The PowerShift was only available in a '63-64 R series Lark or Hawk. The only cars with non-R series engines (standard 289s) that I've seen with PowerShifts, were '64 GT Hawks.
                            There was at least one '64 Daytona built with a 259 and a Powershift.

Jim Bradley
                            Lewistown PA
                            '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                            Jim Bradley
                            Lake Monticello, VA
                            '78 Avanti II
                            sigpic

Comment

quote:The PowerShift was only available in a '63-64 R series Lark or Hawk. The only cars with non-R series engines (standard 289s) that I've seen with PowerShifts, were '64 GT Hawks.
                              There was at least one '64 Daytona built with a 259 and a Powershift.

Jim Bradley
                              Lewistown PA
                              '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                              Jim Bradley
                              Lake Monticello, VA
                              '78 Avanti II
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X